High G / Low G setup on 5 string tenor

bigdog

Reaction score
I just received a fantastic new Kala 5 string tenor (Thank you Mim, great service)! The Kala is setup with the low g on the top or outside toward the top edge of the fret board, and the high g on the inside. Does anyone have any experience swapping the g strings so the high g is string 5 and low g is string 4 ?

I love the sound of the cedar/acacia combination but the low g almost sounds a little overpowering.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks,
Doug

I just received a fantastic new Kala 5 string tenor (Thank you Mim, great service)! The Kala is setup with the low g on the top or outside toward the top edge of the fret board, and the high g on the inside. Does anyone have any experience swapping the g strings so the high g is string 5 and low g is string 4 ?

I love the sound of the cedar/acacia combination but the low g almost sounds a little overpowering.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks,
Doug

I dont have one of these KA-ATP series but have been drooling over them for a long time. Also the 5-string option was killing me as it seemed to be 'the best of both worlds' as an attempt to settle my internal debate of hi-g vs. low-g, but alas, that fury has passed (for now) as I am settled on re-entrant (hi-g) on anything smaller than a baritone, except for one tenor banjo-uke that I have in linear fifths tuning of CGDA like a mandola...

I resigned myself to do linear uke tuning only on a baritone after trying on several of my tenor and concert ukes as it seemed to me that the larger sound box resonates better with the low frequencies on the baritones, and the added string tension due to the longer scale length helps with intonation on the thicker strings....

However, if I every get to try a 5-string tenor uke all of the above may change, as I've heard only good things about the KA-ATP series and got to play a 4-string version with the cutaway last August at the NJ Uke Fest that was on display from the vendor 'Funky Frets' from Bethelehem, PA. I REALLY like the sound and the feel of that instrument, but had no cash to spend at the time...

A cedar-top uke is still on my wishlist, and between the Kamoa E5 and E3 series, the Mainlands, the Cordoba, and the Ohana versions out now (in the last year, NEW with cedar tops), all to compete with what Kala has to offer, it is a very difficult choice without being able to play before buying...

Sorry I could not offer hands-on experience...

Having said all that - best of luck to you and hope you really enjoy the Kala ATP tenor - I love the contrast of the Padauk with the Cedar and the Acacia...this one's got me for looks. :)

Hi Doug,
I have a 5 strings uke from Jerry Hoffmann. The setup is just like you mentioned, the 5th string is high G, 4th string is low G. When you strum down, you'll touch the high G first, and it sounds like a regular high G uke but with a little bit sound from the 4th low G string. The saddle is a compensate saddle that specific for this setup. So there is no way to swap the 4th and 5th strings. You may check if yours has a compensated saddle otherwise the pitch in higher frets could be off.

Thanks,
Chanpei

I think the low G on the top would be the way to go. One time I ordered a five string and was surprised to find the low in the second position. the reason I'd like one with the low on top is because then I could play hawaiian tunes while muting the top string with my thumb and just strum regular during other songs.

Thanks all.... I made the swap and have the high g as the fifth string and low g as the fourth. Love the sound!

Top Bottom