New friend from Italy

Rllink

Reaction score
Our neighbor had an Italian high school aged girl here for the last six weeks on some sort of cultural exchange program. She showed up with a ukulele. My neighbors, who are my age, told her that there was some crazy old guy down the street that plays the ukulele out on his front deck all the time. Probably not in those words. Anyway, she has come over a number of times during her stay and we have sat out on the deck playing our ukuleles and having a good time with it. I learned some new songs, which is good for me. My favorite is House of Gold. I think that she has learned a lot too. She's going back to Italy with Salty Dog Blues and You Ain't Nothin' But A Hound Dog in her song list. Anyway, yesterday her hosts had a pizza party for her, and invited all of her new friends that she has met over for the evening, and I got invited. They also invited me to bring my ukulele. So we were going to do a couple of songs and call it quits, but I think we played for forty five minutes all together, and all the kids loved it. They knew a lot of the oldies, and I learned a few more new ones. It was a lot of fun.

But one thing, she showed up with a Makai soprano ukulele that a friend had given her for Christmas. I had never heard of Makai ukuleles. When the kids all ran off to take pictures, I grabbed it up and played it a little, as I had not really paid much attention before. It is one sweet ukulele. If I ever got another one, I might look at one of those.

Damn Rolli you always got the best stories:shaka:

I love how you meet new people and start playing out and learning new things. Music can truly expand our horizions and I appreciate you sharing your experiences. Keep it up.

Makai's laminates have always been a little lighter (thinner soundboard) than most. A good value. I polished up a soprano pineapple, installed new tuners, strings, added a bone saddle. It was a decent little player that I donated to the TBUC Library Lending Program. I believe they are making some solid topped models now.

Top Bottom