Case/bag recommendations?

teryg

Reaction score
My first uke of my own (a baritone Cordoba) will be arriving soon. The seller didn't list a case or bag with it so I'm assuming it will come without. For my guitars, I always used a hardshell case, but I was younger and I went to places where instruments might get knocked around more than I do now. The Cordoba gig bag looks pretty good. Still, I find myself nervous about just a bag.

What do people think about cases vs. bags?

Also, I already know my next uke is not far down the road and it will be a tenor. I've seen some cases or bags that hold 2 ukes. Has anyone used one of those?

Thanks!

For me it comes down to the uke. Is it solid wood or laminate? For my laminates (or my plastic one) I tend to go with a gig bag. They are relatively tough on their own so a padded gig bag meets the need. For my wooden ones I have hard cases. Not only do these cases provide more protection for the wood, it is better piece of mind to ensure the uke is properly humidified.

I have seen some that hold two, but they tended to hold smaller ukes like sopranos or concerts. I don't know that I have seen a double case that would fit a baritone. They might be out there, I just haven't seen one.

My cheap ukes don't have bags, those that cost a bit more have padded gig bags, including my solid cedar topped bari, however, if I bought a more expensive all wood bari I would definately get a hard case for it. :)

The description of the uke says it has a solid mahogany top and mahogany back and sides. So maybe I should be looking at hardshell.

Search around ebay etc: You can most likely find a Bari hard shell case in the $50+/- range.

Unless you are worried about taking it on a plane, or someone sitting on it, a hard case may not be worth the money. This is not a delicately constructed instrument. If you do want a hardshell case, here's a nice case for the money: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARD-SHELL-...814019?hash=item281da17b83:g:MqQAAOSwZ1BXf9SS

Winner, winner, Phil always comes up with the best deals. If your climate is dry and you need to keep the uke in a case with a humidifer a hard case is much better.

My more expensive ukes live in hard cases, though I started to wonder if the common flat topped ones are ideal for longer term storage as they do seem to mildly press onto the bridge. I'm unsure whether that is a reasonable concern, though, or if I'm worrying over nothing.

My Pono baritone came with a case whose top is arched in the bridge area, which I'm much more comfortable with. I may replace my other cases with arched top hard shell cases eventually, or quality gig bags. Both are fairly costly over here. (My favorite gigbags are those by Fusion.)

The description of the uke says it has a solid mahogany top and mahogany back and sides. So maybe I should be looking at hardshell.

I decided to go with an inexpensive case, with the thought that if I ever sell the Cordoba and upgrade, I'll just keep the case. I don't expect to fly, but I do do a lot of driving for vacations so it might be in the car with a lot of other things. The case is safest.

Top Bottom