Which uku for tall skiny guy

Dreadxter

Reaction score
Hi guys I am new to this forum.
I got problem with choosing my first ukulele.
After lot of searching I found two which i really like.
1. Mahalo U320T (tenor size) with bag
2. Laka VUC30 concert size also with bag
Because i am total newbie to uke i want to know which would be better for me.

I think unless you have very thick fingers (and maybe even then), the size is really just a matter of preference. There are smaller people who prefer the larger sizes, and huge people with bear pranks who play like gods on the soprano size. No matter which size of ukulele you pick, it will at first be uncomfortable to play (also holding it). Once finger strength and dexterity improve, things will look very different. (Tiny Tim was a tall, skinny man with large hands, and he was a fantastic soprano player, even though everyone only remembers him for his nerve-grating comedy act.)

I'd make it dependent on the sound you're after, and which size appeals the most to you. What I do feel IS important, is to buy your first ukulele from a place that does so-called setup work. This is especially important with inexpensive instruments that often have issues with intonation and playability. In the US, good places are TheUkuleleSite.com (HMS), Uke Republic, and Mim's Ukes (ebay). In Europe, the Southern Ukulele Store also includes free setups.

I'm average size, height and hands, but I prefer a tenor uke because it is more comfortable to play.

My husband is on the tall side, 6'6" and plays both a tenor and baritone uke. The baritone is in standard tuning and he much prefers to use it although the tenor is high end and has a sweet sound, (my opinion). Both were well set up.

depends. you want to finger pick or sing and strum/pick patterns?

A tenor will work better for general finger picking, I think a soprano or concert would work for strumming/picking patterns.

I have an islander tenor and it works well for the picking part. An islander concert might be an okay middle ground.

Brian

Being the owner of all 4 sizes, (plus a long neck soprano), I would suggest starting with a concert scale. :)

I was initially advised, (on another forum), to start with a tenor, as I had tried playing guitar many years ago, however my hands were not comfortable with the stretch of the frets at that time, & I found the concert size to be the best for my initial learning.

(Once my hands had become used to fretting again, I could 'play' soprano & concert sizes comfortably, basically spent my first six months on the concert scale.)

Will you have any chance to play either of them before you buy them? If not the exact ukuleles, is there a store near you that sells them? (Even a Guitar Center could pass for just trying one out) I recommend trying different sizes so you can see what is the most comfortable for you. I am average height (6'), but do have larger hands (it is sometimes a challenge to find gloves that fit). I do not care for the tenor scale at all. My favorite is concert with soprano being a close second. I like the fact that I have such a large reach up the fretboard. I do not have that luxury with a tenor. If you are like many ukulele players it is only a matter of time until you own multiple. I do agree with Mivo, one of the most important factors is to get a proper set-up. Especially if you are new. A bad set-up can make it harder to play and discourage people early on.

All I will add is that I have the Mahalo concert in that series and I am very happy with it. The guy who sold it to me actually recommended the tenor because I told him i wanted to go busking. So I think the thinking there as that tenor has more volume than a concert or soprano. The bigger the instrument the more volume it will have (in that series I guess). I don't know anything about Laka brand.

I don't understand what WCBarnes is saying about the scale. Yes i know it would have a differnet sound. The tenor is over all lower pitched. Is that all you mean? You prefer a higher pitched instrument.

I also don't know what he means by a large reach up the fretboard on the smaller instruments. I thought there were more frets on the bigger instruments.

Basically i am not sure at all that you should make your choice based on your physical size.

Also did you do your search online or in a shop? I'd say go into a shop before you make your final decision to take advice from the sales guys. If they are around the same price, you can be more sure they are going to give you honest advice.

My tall skinny husband prefers the tenor scale length. I started on tenor and realized that a concert was my sweet spot for size. So, he inherited my tenor and I began playing concert. We are both quite happy. Still though, he enjoys playing concert and soprano size as well, but tenor is his "go to" size.

I don't understand what WCBarnes is saying about the scale. Yes i know it would have a differnet sound. The tenor is over all lower pitched. Is that all you mean? You prefer a higher pitched instrument.

I also don't know what he means by a large reach up the fretboard on the smaller instruments. I thought there were more frets on the bigger instruments.

Basically i am not sure at all that you should make your choice based on your physical size.

Scale refers to the distance from the nut to the bridge. Sopranos are around 13.5", concerts 15", tenor 17", baritone 20" (yes, those are just averages. There are companies/builders who build different lengths). In order for the notes to be in tune on different scale lengths, the fret spacing is different. Reaching the 7th or 10th fret with one finger and keeping another finger on the 3rd is much easier on the shorter scale of a soprano or concert than it is on a tenor (for me at least). Many people assume that just because an individual has large hands they should play a tenor. My post was providing my reasons for why people shouldn't choose an instrument based upon their physical size.

Last edited:
I think I'd look for a tall, skinny ukulele.

Top Bottom