PDA

View Full Version : Enya X1 ukulele

Jerwin
08-06-2016, 07:38 AM
Hello there,

any thoughts on this? I am actually considering taking the risk.

http://www.banggood.com/Enya-X1-23-26-Inch-Hawaii-Concert-Tenor-Koa-Ukulele-With-Classical-Head-p-1068730.html

Mivo
08-06-2016, 07:43 AM
My two spontaneous thoughts: I'm not sure I'd buy from a site called "bang good", and second, unless I missed it, it doesn't say solid koa or rosewood, so it's probably a full laminate. I didn't watch the video, though.

Jerwin
08-06-2016, 08:01 AM
They say 1mm thin high pressure laminate. Youtube sound-samples seem good.

Booli
08-06-2016, 10:39 AM
That's pretty much an unknown brand here on UU, AFAIK, and the prices it's showing $119-134 is not any cheaper than a laminate tenor or concert uke from Lanikai, Kohala, Luna, Kala, Ohana, Cordoba, Gretsch and maybe even a dozen other well known brand names...

Does not mean it's bad, but you will not have the experience of previous buyers to guide you if it's crap or not.

Are you a gambler? If so then, be all means, roll the dice...

If it were me, I'd chose both a different brand as well as different seller, Amazon even (shudders) or one of the UK shops, being from the USA I know nothing of music shops for the Czech Republic...

Another problem is that 99% of the time, the uke you get from an Asain factory assembly line will require some setup which you are likely not going to get from a company like this.

Shops in the USA that do a setup are Hawaii Music Supply, Uke Republic and Mim's Ukes, (and a few others).

I'm pretty sure that Hawaii Music Supply ships worldwide for a very reasonable rate and last I say they had laminate concert and tenor ukes in this price range, plus you get their expert setup, and if the instrument is bad, they just will refuse to sell it. Andrew Kitakis (the owner) is an active member here on UU.

No, I do NOT work for them, nor am I compensated in any way for telling you this infor, I'm just sharing what I've experienced first-hand as a customer.

Jerwin
08-06-2016, 10:49 AM
That's pretty much an unknown brand here on UU, AFAIK, and the prices it's showing $119-134 is not any cheaper than a laminate tenor or concert uke from Lanikai, Kohala, Luna, Kala, Ohana, Cordoba, Gretsch and maybe even a dozen other well known brand names...

Does not mean it's bad, but you will not have the experience of previous buyers to guide you if it's crap or not.

Are you a gambler? If so then, be all means, roll the dice...

If it were me, I'd chose both a different brand as well as different seller, Amazon even (shudders) or one of the UK shops, being from the USA I know nothing of music shops for the Czech Republic...

Another problem is that 99% of the time, the uke you get from an Asain factory assembly line will require some setup which you are likely not going to get from a company like this.

Shops in the USA that do a setup are Hawaii Music Supply, Uke Republic and Mim's Ukes, (and a few others).

I'm pretty sure that Hawaii Music Supply ships worldwide for a very reasonable rate and last I say they had laminate concert and tenor ukes in this price range, plus you get their expert setup, and if the instrument is bad, they just will refuse to sell it. Andrew Kitakis (the owner) is an active member here on UU.

No, I do NOT work for them, nor am I compensated in any way for telling you this infor, I'm just sharing what I've experienced first-hand as a customer.

I set up all of my ukes and guitars to my liking. I like banggood but I know there will be no quality check of the instruments. The price is banging and the uke looks very nice. The idea of ultrathin laminate for the money looks like bargain to me if the particular piece is built fine and that's the biggest question. I may actually gamble it for once :P...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z-NPKnEQ9M

Booli
08-06-2016, 10:57 AM
I set up all of my ukes and guitars to my liking. I like banggood but I know there will be no quality check of the instruments. The price is banging and the uke looks very nice. The idea of ultrathin laminate for the money looks like bargain to me if the particular piece is built fine and that's the biggest question. I may actually gamble it for once :P...

Just to be clear, by setup I am talking about compensation at the nut and saddle to correct both intonation issues and string action and/or buzzing, as well as filing rough fret edges and leveling and re-crowning the frets as necessary...

is this the same setup that you are doing?

Booli
08-06-2016, 11:04 AM

Also, in this video, (as a sound engineer) I can tell you that the audio is VERY heavily compressed (like a 20:1 ratio, which is considered extreme) and seems to be completely lacking in dynamic range, which is evident in that there are no SOFT parts or LOUD parts during the song, which is a natural part of acoustic energy, whether produced from an instrument or a human voice, and as SUCH, the sound here is not the organic sound that this instrument generates, but most folks dont care or dont understand why this is important, but just be aware of the fact that the sound you hear in this video is PROCESSED and likely to NOT be the same as this uke in your hands with your own ears.

I have pro studio monitors on my computer, and thus can hear subtle changes, but if you are using earbuds, a cel phone, tablet or laptop speakers to hear the sound, likely you will simply not be able to tell the different due to the physical limitations of such tiny speaker elements.

Jerwin
08-06-2016, 12:06 PM
Just to be clear, by setup I am talking about compensation at the nut and saddle to correct both intonation issues and string action and/or buzzing, as well as filing rough fret edges and leveling and re-crowning the frets as necessary...

is this the same setup that you are doing?

Yes. that's what I mean.

I know the sound wont be the same but look up for more videos. This sounds more like that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsaTnW6sFVI

M3Ukulele
08-06-2016, 12:25 PM
Jerwin,
Looks very interesting. The HPL in tenor is very interesting. The neck attachment is also unique and likely fits with this build of ukulele. Sound sample was clear but lacked dynamics as mentioned bit that could be recording technique. It's not going to sound like a solid wood Uke but I certainly didn't mind it and the benefits of HPL with its durability is a plus. At the price it's not a huge gamble. I'd like to hear more and get a review if you decide to take the plunge. I'm tempted. If I could hold and play it I'd know in minutes if I liked it. I have a walnut fluke for car/beach and my first impression is that this would do the same thing very well. Please post review if you get one. My .02 cents worth

UkerDanno
08-06-2016, 01:54 PM
I mean...it comes with maracas, how can you pass it up?! :shaka:

Jerwin
08-06-2016, 10:26 PM
Jerwin,
Looks very interesting. The HPL in tenor is very interesting. The neck attachment is also unique and likely fits with this build of ukulele. Sound sample was clear but lacked dynamics as mentioned bit that could be recording technique. It's not going to sound like a solid wood Uke but I certainly didn't mind it and the benefits of HPL with its durability is a plus. At the price it's not a huge gamble. I'd like to hear more and get a review if you decide to take the plunge. I'm tempted. If I could hold and play it I'd know in minutes if I liked it. I have a walnut fluke for car/beach and my first impression is that this would do the same thing very well. Please post review if you get one. My .02 cents worth

they even sell full solid mahogany for even less money... but this one has radiused fretboard and still i think the sound quality might be quite good. They seem to put quite some effort in this one. Look at the tuners! I love the pictures :D ...

Booli
08-06-2016, 11:12 PM
they even sell full solid mahogany for even less money... but this one has radiused fretboard and still i think the sound quality might be quite good. They seem to put quite some effort in this one. Look at the tuners! I love the pictures :D ...
ok

so I will be a full-on enabler of UAS -

...if you like it so much, then why haven't you bought it already? What's stopping you? :drool:

Jerwin
08-07-2016, 12:14 AM
ok

so I will be a full-on enabler of UAS -

...if you like it so much, then why haven't you bought it already? What's stopping you? :drool:

Because I still consider this one http://www.banggood.com/Kaka-21-23-26-Inch-Koa-Panel-Ukulele-with-Gig-Bag-KUSPCT-70-p-1035586.html

basicly half the price and can be sent from Eu warehouse. They just say nothing about the thickness, but may be lack of marketing. Both products are from Enya company aparently.

M3Ukulele
08-07-2016, 11:08 AM
The Kaka would be laminate. For a little extra you get HPL with a new design and unique neck joint. Both would take different weather conditions. If I were gong standard laminate I'd get a KoAloha laminate tenor from HMS .
Good luck with your decision but my vote (worth nothing��) Would be the HPL unit. Big unknown is the step up for both but if you are ok on that....... I'd go for it.

Nickie
08-07-2016, 04:05 PM
I mean...it comes with maracas, how can you pass it up?! :shaka:

My Cocobolo came with maracas. At first, I couldn't figure out how to put them on the uke. My partner gently persuaded me to give that up. I do know MY maracas never need to be tuned!
Kudos to Cocobolo!

Jerwin
08-08-2016, 01:39 PM
Ok, I ordered it. Very curious now... :rulez:

M3Ukulele
08-09-2016, 07:01 AM
Did you order the HPL uke? If so , please post comments on build , feel and sound. If you have pics all the better. Of course sound sample would be nice. If not, general impression on sound and opinion on playability. I'm curious.
Thanks

Jerwin
08-09-2016, 10:17 AM
I will try to put on some kind of review with samples. I think it will take +-1 month to get the uke here. They don't have it on stock yet.

Finally found website of the manufacturer. Googlin Enya ukuleles, instruments or whatever did not actually work.

http://www.enyamusical.com/

Worth checking. Probably not known much outside Asia but they really seem to make beatiful things!
Can't wait for the plywood version of their work! :D

Hms
08-09-2016, 10:54 PM
From the specs, "Body Koa sticker."
I hope they don't mean sticky backed plastic, but plywood topped with a veneer of koa.
h

Booli
08-09-2016, 11:05 PM
From the specs, "Body Koa sticker."
I hope they don't mean sticky backed plastic, but plywood topped with a veneer of koa.
h

...or worse yet, a wood-grain 'print' on shiny shelf-paper...i.e., a 'sticker' that looks like wood

mm stan
08-09-2016, 11:39 PM
Hello there,

any thoughts on this? I am actually considering taking the risk.

http://www.banggood.com/Enya-X1-23-26-Inch-Hawaii-Concert-Tenor-Koa-Ukulele-With-Classical-Head-p-1068730.html
I posted below a rosewood uke from the same company.. see link below

Jerwin
08-10-2016, 03:06 AM
I posted below a rosewood uke from the same company.. see link below

Where below? .D

____
edit: oh I see...

Jerwin
08-10-2016, 11:48 AM
...or worse yet, a wood-grain 'print' on shiny shelf-paper...i.e., a 'sticker' that looks like wood

People pay 1000+ Bucks for carbon fiber ukes with no wood at all... :) This still has woodern neck if nothing else :D

Booli
08-10-2016, 12:23 PM
People pay 1000+ Bucks for carbon fiber ukes with no wood at all... :) This still has woodern neck if nothing else :D

ha ha

yes you are correct - but more what I was talking about was if in the description is says something like 'made of real wood' or the item in fact and instead is 'made of wood-like stuff, with wood-looking stickers' and more worried about the accuracy of seller's description and possible errors in translation...:)

Jerwin
08-10-2016, 10:15 PM
ha ha

yes you are correct - but more what I was talking about was if in the description is says something like 'made of real wood' or the item in fact and instead is 'made of wood-like stuff, with wood-looking stickers' and more worried about the accuracy of seller's description and possible errors in translation...:)

I should stop thinking about it and just wait for the uke to arrive...

Dan Gleibitz
08-19-2016, 04:16 AM
Did it arrive yet? I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it. I've spent the evening with a Kaka KUT-MAD, and am very happy. It's the high end of Enya's low end range/brand. Same shape, same slotted headstock, cheaper tuners, solid mahogany on all sides, same strings, same radiused fretboard. It's quite a high quality uke, and sounds fantastic.

If you bought the tenor, let me know if the strings don't work for you. I love them and am looking for some extra sets!

FinnP
08-19-2016, 05:46 AM
This one looks nice too, it's supposed to be solid koa, but there's no review to found anywhere:
http://eu.banggood.com/Wholesale-Warehouse-Kaka-23-Inch-26-Inch-Full-Solid-Koa-Ukulele-with-Gig-Bag-KUCT-KAD-wp-Eu-1030896.html

I live in EU, so no custom duty is important

Iulia
08-19-2016, 09:51 AM
I'm very curious how these turn out - I was looking at this today thinking 'how BAD can it really be" :-)

Might wait in the hope the pound rises a tad against the dollar tho

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Demo-Handmade-Ukulele-Soprano-concert-tenor-Solid-A-Koa-Body-String-Musical-instruments-Shipping-time-8/32711984232.html?spm=2114.13010308.0.42.zepBiJ

M3Ukulele
08-19-2016, 10:02 AM
For the HPL version, I'm curious..... I think we should all be a little more open to new technologies. Jerwin, when you get yours , give us the straight goods on your opinion. The video sample seems fine. Looking forward to a review.
Cheers

Mivo
08-19-2016, 10:20 AM
For the HPL version, I'm curious..... I think we should all be a little more open to new technologies.

Why, though? I'm perfectly satisfied with solid wood ukuleles, don't live in a climate where there are potential problems with them, and I have yet to hear a ukulele without a solid wood top that sounds as good as a solid top instrument to me. Even e-koa/Clara sounds somewhat plastic-bucket-like to me.

The only advantages of artificial materials that I can see are of an environmental nature, but I doubt that a mass produced artificial material ukulele from China is benefiting the environment more than a solid wood ukulele. I also feel that quality products offer long term environmental benefits as they are less likely to end up in a land fill.

Dan Gleibitz
08-19-2016, 11:22 AM
Why, though? I'm perfectly satisfied with solid wood ukuleles, don't live in a climate where there are potential problems with them, and I have yet to hear a ukulele without a solid wood top that sounds as good as a solid top instrument to me. Even e-koa/Clara sounds somewhat plastic-bucket-like to me.

I'm kinda with you. I'd choose solid wood over anything. But HPL does have a place. Martin use HPL for a lot of their guitars. It's a good choice for travel guitars in particular, being loud, light, strong, stable and durable. Apparently difficult to fix if broken though. And Martin's HPL might be something very different to Enya's.

My concern for the Enya X1 is the 1mm thickness, as in my experience excessively thin soundboards rapidly lose tonal character.

Mivo
08-19-2016, 11:34 AM
I have nothing against new materials and such, I'm just in the "never change a winning team" kind of camp, so as long as new materials don't offer anything to me that improve on the traditional ones, I stick to the latter as long as they're available. I'd have a vastly different view on this if I lived in a geographical region where I'd have to worry about the wood cracking, though, or if I traveled a lot with my instrument. All relative. :)

Dan Gleibitz
08-19-2016, 12:00 PM
This one looks nice too, it's supposed to be solid koa, but there's no review to found anywhere:
http://eu.banggood.com/Wholesale-Warehouse-Kaka-23-Inch-26-Inch-Full-Solid-Koa-Ukulele-with-Gig-Bag-KUCT-KAD-wp-Eu-1030896.html

That's the one I originally bought, from a local (Australian) seller. But he cancelled my order on advice from Enya that there are some issues with the quality of existing solid Koa stock and an estimated 4 weeks wait for remedied units. So I got the mahogany version of the same model.

KUC-KAD and KUT-KAD are indeed full solid Koa (concert & tenor respectively), with radiused fretboard, slotted headstock, some pretty fretboard inlay, and a very high gloss finish. And they come with Enya strings. KUC-MAD and KUT-MAD are the same in solid mahogany (the front/sides of mine seem to be Khaya, while the back appears to be Sapele).

These are the top of the Kaka range, and share a lot with the cheaper Enya models. EUC-K1, EUT-K1 are Koa, EUC-M1 and EUT-M1 are mahogany, -CA models are camphor wood. Same body, fretboard & bridge, but without the slotted headstock or fretboard inlay. The 2016 versions have the same removable bolt-on neck design as the X1, which might open up some interesting travel options as with the neck off they'd fit within _all dimensions_ of air carry-on baggage.

Beware of the next model down KUC-70 and KUT-70; these are often advertised on Chinese sites with the word 'solid' somewhere in the title or description. The only solid part is the neck, the bodies are 100% laminate. They do make much cheaper models with a solid spruce top and laminated back and sides though.

M3Ukulele
08-19-2016, 01:16 PM
HPL is interesting because it isn't affected by low humidity. I have mostly all solid wood Ukuleles. That is what I prefer except I have Tenor Fluke. I was curious! The HPL in the sound sample sound better than my Fluke. Fluke has laminate top and poly fret board and body. I put Pegheds on it because the friction tuners we BAD IMHO. Martin makes a HPL ukulele that many raves about. Kiawya ( sp?) make a laminate that a lot of people rave about. So, here is something NEW to look at. IF an review is pretty good, I might be temped to spend < $200.00 CND$ to try one but its has to sound pretty good and be intonated. Fit and finish seem OK on picture but you never know. I also just had a solid wood ukulele crack on me despite having it in its case, with Oasis Humidifier and with a Planet Waves Himidipak system. It always is at 50% Humidity in it case but.........

I also like the Blackbird Farallon and I may get one of these. I travel and live in Canada where weather can get extreme - low humidity and cold or lower humidity and high heat. Like I said I'm curious.

I

FinnP
08-19-2016, 09:10 PM
The kuc-kad tenor comes in two versions a 23" and a 26", which did you get?

Jerwin
08-19-2016, 10:51 PM
The ukulele did not arrive yet. I will definately let you know, don't worry!

Enya makes beautiful ukuleles and if they make something they consider not the top of their line, they brand it with Kaka. X1 is Enya and they seem to be sure the uke deserves this logo. I have been chatting with a man from China who reviewed the uke (did not understand a word from his review) and he loves it although he also owns ukes from Kanilea and stuff. I know you probably can't compare thse but he said it has it's own beautiful sound character and response and that the craftsmenship of his piece is flawless. It's 100 dollar uke and I really felt like taking the shot. If nothing else, I absolutely adore the uke lookwise.

The thing with cheap solid wood ukes is that these are quite often made from not enough dry materials and cracks may appear over time, although I humidify everthing and try to keep the humidity around 40-50% at places I store my wooden instruments (and RC model planes :D).
I just think that great laminated/plywood or other alternative material instrument which is well-made can beat poop quality solid wood instrument.

A few weeks ago I have purchased ukulele from a German brand called Ortega. The model is RU-5, my gf intends to carry it around to work (kindergarden teacher) and travel alot with that so again, we went for cheap uke (80 dollars), but it was not intended so at the first place. The uke is Ortega RU-5 - concert size, quite thin plywood. And guess what - it sounds so incredibly good, has bound fretboard and the neck feels amazing. I adore the sound. I am scared to admit it but I like it more than my Kala Acacia concert ukulele. If I compare these from the point of price I should probably visit a doctor to check my ears. But hey, my gf is a musician since her 6 years of age (she is an accordeon and keyboard player) and she shares my opinion. I also was blown away by Kiwaya laminated ukes which I find sounding amazing. Good laminated instrument needs less old beautiful trees to be put down and still can do the job. My uke dream is to purchase AAA solid hawaian koa uke but my skills and account balance is not quite ready for that step yet. But one day... hopefuly!

BTW: That Kaka solid koa ukulele - I am quite sure it's Akacia, not an actual Koa.

Iulia
08-20-2016, 12:43 AM
did you mean the one I posted? It has enya on the labels ... though you are probably correct - the listing says 'A Koa' :-)

mm stan
08-20-2016, 04:44 AM
[QUOTE=Jerwin;1878224]Where below? .D
OOPs forgot link... http://www.banggood.com/21-Soprano-Ukulele-Lovely-Musical-Instrument-Black-Guitar-Rosewood-p-1062647.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc_elc&utm_content=zia&utm_campaign=music-uku-us-in-n40&utm_design=40

Dan Gleibitz
08-20-2016, 07:33 PM
BTW: That Kaka solid koa ukulele - I am quite sure it's Akacia, not an actual Koa.

Actual Koa is Acacia. Acacia Koa.

I'm quite sure the wood used in Enya's solid Koa models (including the Kaka -KAD) is Acacia Koa.

Jerwin
08-25-2016, 10:33 AM
It's in the Czech rep already. Should be at home within next week. Can't wait!

Still hope it's gonna be rather good :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTUbD-8LE-0&t=0s

Iulia
08-26-2016, 12:44 AM
really looking forward to updates when this arrives :-)

FinnP
08-26-2016, 04:00 AM
The X1 is not in the EU store, did you buy direct from China?

Jerwin
08-30-2016, 07:33 AM
So I took it out of the box a few moments ago. It's nicely put together. Neck feels very comfortable to play. Action quite high on the saddle. I guess I will make new bone saddle, it came with nubone (or whatever they call it). Sounds actually quite good to my ears. Did not try the pickup yet, which will not get used often. I'll try to let you know more with some pics possibly and soundtests.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
08-30-2016, 10:58 AM
I also took delivery of an X1, Concert :)

I got it through Ebay and a website: eBay - boxmonkey76 <boxmon_gt6396mfj@members.ebay.com>.

I had a question as to whether or not the neck of the Concert was radiused... it is!

I'm currently 'conditioning' it via ToneRite (OK, OK, I know there's a raging debate as to the effectiveness
or even legitimacy of such things... but it works for me, OK :) ) Anyway, it will be 'conditioning'/vibrating for about a week
before I begin using it for most of my activities.

I'm particularly interested in playing the radiused neck to see if it really will be more comfortable for my type of playing,
which is strumming/singing :)

That said, if I contribute any reviews to this thread... it will most likely be in about a week.

keep uke'in',

stevepetergal
08-30-2016, 11:36 AM
I bought a different model concert ukulele from BangGood this month as a test of BangGood and to review such a cheap uke. It arrived quickly and in good condition. You can read my review here if you're interested:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?122038-Okay-gang-a-rosewood-soprano-for-43-00&p=1882893#post1882893
I think the ones you're looking at are a bit expensive for an experiment.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
08-30-2016, 12:03 PM
Hey stevepetergal, thanks for noticing the 'differences' between our purchases.

actually, I wanted the acoustic-electric model and was hoping it also had the radiused fretboard, (which it does!),
hence my decision to go for the X1. Oh, and the slotted headstock as well :)

anyway, as per my contribution above, I'll most likely begin my review of the X1 sometime next
week, after the 'conditioning' has gone on for about a week.

Thanks again, and keep uke'in',

Jerwin
08-31-2016, 10:06 AM
I also took delivery of an X1, Concert :)

I got it through Ebay and a website: eBay - boxmonkey76 <boxmon_gt6396mfj@members.ebay.com>.

I had a question as to whether or not the neck of the Concert was radiused... it is!

I'm currently 'conditioning' it via ToneRite (OK, OK, I know there's a raging debate as to the effectiveness
or even legitimacy of such things... but it works for me, OK :) ) Anyway, it will be 'conditioning'/vibrating for about a week
before I begin using it for most of my activities.

I'm particularly interested in playing the radiused neck to see if it really will be more comfortable for my type of playing,
which is strumming/singing :)

That said, if I contribute any reviews to this thread... it will most likely be in about a week.

keep uke'in',

So what is your first impression?

Uncle Rod Higuchi
08-31-2016, 10:43 AM
My first impression was very favorable, esp after seeing that it actually did have a radiused fretboard.

I did not evaluate it carefully, however, it looked nice if not understated, has electronics (in-sound hole controls),
nice slotted headstock, smaller tuners than guitar size, etc.

I have a fiberglass case, but it takes a thinner body uke (Travel/thinbody uke or Koaloha concert), so I may not
be able to use the nicer case to carry the X1, oh well ....

I haven't really played it to any appreciable extent, so will do a fuller review in a few more days.

I have a very positive first impression and hope further use will only increase my appreciation of what I got! :)

keep uke'in',

M3Ukulele
09-01-2016, 08:47 AM
Uncle Rob, curious to hear your review and Jerwin's after you have played it awhile. HPL is very interested and this looks to be a pretty good uke. Sound sample is fine. I know Martin uses HPL for their guitars and I think they have taken it a step further, HPL back and sides with spruce and cedar tops. I think they call the guitars the X series and will be looking at that. All HPL would weather the elements and not likely have a need to be humidified ( that is impression I have).... a solid spruce or cedar top would give a better sound. I hear a blind test of a few guitars - high end custom, production but expensive and both solid wood and a Martin X series - HPL back and sides and solid top. It compared fairly well. Maybe this is the beginning for ENYA X1?

Jerwin
09-01-2016, 10:41 AM
Uncle Rob, curious to hear your review and Jerwin's after you have played it awhile. HPL is very interested and this looks to be a pretty good uke. Sound sample is fine. I know Martin uses HPL for their guitars and I think they have taken it a step further, HPL back and sides with spruce and cedar tops. I think they call the guitars the X series and will be looking at that. All HPL would weather the elements and not likely have a need to be humidified ( that is impression I have).... a solid spruce or cedar top would give a better sound. I hear a blind test of a few guitars - high end custom, production but expensive and both solid wood and a Martin X series - HPL back and sides and solid top. It compared fairly well. Maybe this is the beginning for ENYA X1?

Martin also makes OX1 uke which is made of hpl. They use laminated necks on their X series. Enya has solid wood neck.

So far I am very impressed with overall quality of the ukulele at this price point. Did not find any flaw yet. Maybe tiny glue spots around bracing inside. The tone of the uke is quite rich compared to my plywood Ohana TK20CE for instance. I will experiment with strings but it has good potential imho. The best about the uke is how it feels. Edge binding is bevelled - no sharp edges. I can confidently say frets are finished way better than on my Pono MTDX. I love the neck. I'll try to put up the review during next week.

Jerwin
09-18-2016, 07:48 PM
So what are your experience now? I absolutely love mine. The most comfortable uke I played - beats my Pono MTD anc costs 5 times less money. Incredible!

M3Ukulele
09-19-2016, 03:57 PM
Jerkin, any pics of you actual tenor? Also, sound sample possible? I like the idea of HPL. How is the weight of the X1

Jerwin
09-19-2016, 08:43 PM
Jerkin, any pics of you actual tenor? Also, sound sample possible? I like the idea of HPL. How is the weight of the X1

Youtube samples provide pretty close idea what the uke actually sounds like. I got WMA recording I made when the uke was not setup yet which I can upload somewhere. It's not the lightest uke but is well-balanced. +- similar to Pono. The sound is very rich. Pono has longer sustain but it has high tension strings on it. I will try to put living water strings on the X1. Once again, I adore this uke. 150 dollars for this is crazy. I just need to convince myself that people who actually manufacture it are well-paid.

Mezcalero
09-20-2016, 04:36 AM
150 dollars for this is crazy. I just need to convince myself that people who actually manufacture it are well-paid.

If it was made in China, the minimum wages have risen dramatically in the last 5 or so years. Depending on province/city where it was made, the workers are likely making around $300-$400/month. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but I remember when they were making less than $100/month.

The Chinese have gotten better at making all things. In my experience in China, it comes down to whether they are focused more on quality or profit. The younger generation of entrepreneurs is starting to get the concept of quality, especially if they are thinking long term.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Uncle Rod Higuchi
09-22-2016, 10:20 AM
just got my Martin OX-K yesterday and played it at our weekly song circle for a couple of hours.
Not as loud as my Kala Travel Soprano, but with change of strings, it might be punchier. I like mellow for personal playing :)

So far, Enya X1 Concert and Martin OX-K Soprano, HPL (High Pressure Laminate) ukes seem to be wonderful.

I kinda wish they'd use a nicer Koa-grain picture, but it's OK.

both the Enya and the Martin are fun to play, although I truly enjoy the smaller, soprano body. I'm not
exactly tiny (5'7" and over 200lbs) but I find the soprano or concert-scale most comfortable. Tenor is
just a bit of a stretch for my short fingers :)

Anyway, I am anticipating many, many enjoyable hours playing my new HPL ukes.

I would encourage any who may be thinking about either the EnyaX-series or the Martin OX's to go ahead
and give them a go. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

keep uke'in',

Lindlind
09-30-2016, 03:11 AM
Thanks for the reviews Uncle Rod Higuchi and Jerwin!
I have an Enya MG6 tenor with low G, and I wanted a concert uke with reentrant tuning.
Since Im very happy with the quality from Enya and after reading your review I decided to ordered an X1 myself ;)
Cant wait to test it out

spookelele
09-30-2016, 06:34 AM
Huh.. I've never seen a uke with a bolt on neck.
I wonder what the advantage of that is.

The top strap button.. isn't a button. It's a bolt that holds the neck on, so, apparently you can break it down for travel, which seems like it could be of interest to some. It's also got a carbon fiber reinforced neck.

It seems... not made budget-like.

Lindlind
09-30-2016, 07:40 AM
Plus it comes with so many accessories and pickup too.
Being able to remove the neck is a big plus for me when traveling. Don't need to worry about carry on size restrictions.
Plus they have this nice alternative head if you ever want to replace it.
http://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?spm=a1z5f.7632060.0.0&id=533121630297

This site is the Chinese version of eBay.

Booli
01-11-2017, 05:49 PM
so, any sound samples from mere mortals rather than the previously linked YT vids?

Been like 3 months now since any action here. Are the Enya ukes getting any play, or just becoming a home for dust mites now?

Uncle Rod - did the tonerite make a difference with the HPL? Did you ever get to make a sound sample? If so please share...

All of a sudden, I got interested in HPL ukes now and want to see how these are holding up...:music:

Uncle Rod Higuchi
01-12-2017, 04:30 AM
I only played the Enya X1 Concert around Labor Day.
I did enjoy playing it. it seemed a bit muted that day - compared
with wooden (solid or laminate) ukes.

since then I had received my Martin OX-K, and that has been my
go-to uke for song circle, classes, gigs, etc.

I also recently received a long neck soprano Cocobolo that is currently
on the ToneRite (been there for at least a week)... so I'm still using
the Martin OXK (also due to the cold weather here in Seattle... 22 this
morning :) )

the volume of the Martin seems to have increased from all this playing,
during the Holidays, so I'm even more impressed with it.

I have actually been thinking about the Enya (packing box easily in sight
every day :) ), but not sure what I will do about it, as I so enjoy my Martin
Soprano right now.

I haven't done any sound samples, and I'm not set up to do any at this time.
actually, I don't really know how to do it. at most, I've made MP3s using
Audacity (in the past), then posting them in Dropbox. But I haven't done
this in many, many months, if not years! :( About time to re do, huh?

keep uke'in',