Can I take a my uke from UK to USA?

orangeena

Reaction score
Hello
I searched the forums but could not find anything specific.
I am off to Florida with the family tomorrow for two weeks and wanted to take one of my ukes. It is self-made with a mahogany front, back and sides and a mahogany like neck (from some UK fencing supplier). The fretboard might be rosewood. I have no paperwork of course as it is homemade. Am I at risk of trouble if I take it with me?
Cheers
Max

No. I've traveled with instruments my whole life and never been asked about the wood or pearl inlays or anything. I think you must be extremely unlucky if you run into any kind of trouble in that regard. Now checking in instruments as luggage is a different topic, but ukes are so small You can easily bring them with you as hand luggage.

/Another Max

Thanks Max. Mine fits in the suitcase and is only my wonkulele (neck is out of line, and I put on an 11th fret marker by mistake) so not the end of the world if it gets damaged.
Now I just need to fund a ukulele meet-up in Orlando somewhere.
Max

Should not be a problem............I've traveled with a uke all over the world..........never an issue. At most, you might be asked what's in the case. Enjoy Florida.

Brought a uke two ago from London to NY with no issues; just some smiles from the folks at immigration.

Update : well me and the wonkukele made it IN to the USA without any issue. Let's see if we can get out together in 2 weeks!

Welcome to Florida. Hope you don't "fry" in our August heat.

Top Bottom