PDA

View Full Version : D'addario's

liquid_wind
04-15-2009, 05:38 PM
What's the deal with Por Arte's, what about the other varieties. Are they not as mellow as The pro's that most people want from D'addario?

haole
04-15-2009, 05:47 PM
The regular D'Addario strings (not Pro Arté) are decent enough; probably about on par with Martin strings. Not loud like Aquilas, mellow like Worths, or super-smooth and clean like the Pro Artés, so I guess they just don't have any really distinguishing features.

The Pro Arté strings are actually just classical guitar strings. Two E strings (on a smaller-scale instrument like a uke, they're tuned way up and serve as the G and A strings), a B (as the uke's E string), and a G (as the uke's C string). Much thicker than most other strings on the market. They have a jazzy, smooth sound, and they're growing in popularity in these parts because Jake and Aldrine use them.

Hope this helps. :3

liquid_wind
04-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Definitely, The insight is appreciated.

toyrtle
04-15-2009, 11:42 PM
The regular D'Addario strings (not Pro ArtÚ) are decent enough; probably about on par with Martin strings. Not loud like Aquilas, mellow like Worths, or super-smooth and clean like the Pro ArtÚs, so I guess they just don't have any really distinguishing features.

The Pro ArtÚ strings are actually just classical guitar strings. Two E strings (on a smaller-scale instrument like a uke, they're tuned way up and serve as the G and A strings), a B (as the uke's E string), and a G (as the uke's C string). Much thicker than most other strings on the market. They have a jazzy, smooth sound, and they're growing in popularity in these parts because Jake and Aldrine use them.

Hope this helps. :3

Is this the same across all brands of classical guitar strings?

ukuleletim
04-16-2009, 12:57 AM
Thanks for posting this. It helps a lot.

beeejums
04-16-2009, 01:46 AM
I really like them... They especially sound clean when you get really high up the fretboard... I haven't tried EVERYTHING yet, but in my opinion they're some of the easier strings to play up there because it's easier to get a nice sound out of them.

wickedwahine11
04-16-2009, 04:41 AM
They are my string of choice. I have tried Aquilas (a little too bright), Worth browns (dead sounding), Worth clears (a little mellow for me), Ko'olau Gold (they snapped before I even finished tuning them), Guadalupe (I didn't like the wound feel), Hilos and Fremont flourocarbons (I found them too thin for my preferred feel). So I constantly switch out my strings, only to keep coming back to the D'addario J71 Pro Artes. I have Aquilas on now (I'm giving them another chance since that is what my uke manufacturer puts on the uke - I figure it has to be for a reason). But I find myself looking longingly at the package of the D'addarios and it is only a matter of time before I put them back on again and just keep them on for good.

Please note, I know different strings are for different folks. I'm sure a ton of people will totally disagree with my opinions on the above strings, but for ME, D'addarios are the best.

TheWannabe90
04-16-2009, 05:14 AM
They are my string of choice. I have tried Aquilas (a little too bright), Worth browns (dead sounding), Worth clears (a little mellow for me), Ko'olau Gold (they snapped before I even finished tuning them), Guadalupe (I didn't like the wound feel), Hilos and Fremont flourocarbons (I found them too thin for my preferred feel). So I constantly switch out my strings, only to keep coming back to the D'addario J71 Pro Artes. I have Aquilas on now (I'm giving them another chance since that is what my uke manufacturer puts on the uke - I figure it has to be for a reason). But I find myself looking longingly at the package of the D'addarios and it is only a matter of time before I put them back on again and just keep them on for good.

Please note, I know different strings are for different folks. I'm sure a ton of people will totally disagree with my opinions on the above strings, but for ME, D'addarios are the best.
Yeah, you should watch out when you give a personal opinion.
I once said in a post that personally I am not a big fan of Bushman ukuleles and I like the sound of other brands in their price range over theirs. But everybody has a different taste... Cost me a reputation point :(
(had only just figured out what those are)
Anyway, sorry for the off-topic answer. I also really like the pro-artes, but can only compare them with GHS strings, which doesn't mean I'm dissing GHS
(I gotta be careful not to upset anyone :))

DeG
04-16-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm sure I'm the exception here, but I think I prefer the D'Addario Hawaiian strings. I want my uke, to sound like a uke. Mellow = bad, plinky = good :shaka:

Disclaimer: I have not done the extensive field tests that Wickedwahine11 has done, so I could change my mind tomorrow :D