Kamaka on Pakele Live

geetee

Reaction score
As part of the centennial celebration of 100 years in continuous production, Kamaka is putting out a cd called Kamaka `Ukulele Presents: Keep Strumming! featuring songs by musicians who play their instruments. They are having a cd release show Thursday (8/11 6:30 to 8:30 HST) featuring Brian Tolentino, Herb Ohta, Jr., David Kamakahi, Kalei Gamiao, Halehaku Seabury, and more. There will be a live stream on Pakele Live at the Willows. The shows are archived so you can watch at your convenience at a later date. Enjoy!

Sounds like its gonna be a great shindig, you can buy their 100th anniversary cd on Mele.com

Yes, Stan. How do you suppose they'll fit this many people in a two hour window? Show starts in five and a half hours.

From the Livestream site, here is an update of the musicians scheduled to perform:

This week! Pakele Live celebrates the release of Keep Strumming, a special 2-disc CD commemorating Kamaka Ukulele's 100th anniversary, with a stellar lineup of musicians! (Note: Kamaka is donating all proceeds from the CD to local children's music organizations.) ..... Scheduled to perform: Ben Chong, Kris & Keiko Fuchigami, Kalei Gamiao, David Kamakahi, Pomaika'i Lyman, Andrew Molina, Herb Ohta Jr, Halehaku Seabury, Jake Shimabukuro, Chad Takatsugi (with Glenn Mayeda and Zachary Lum), Bryan Tolentino, Byron Yasui, (plus possibly a few surprise guests!) - AND hula by Skyler Kamaka! Join us Thursday, Aug. 11, 6:30-8:30pm at the Willows (901 Hausten St.) - or watch live here!

http://livestream.com/pakele/kamaka

Yes, Stan. How do you suppose they'll fit this many people in a two hour window? Show starts in five and a half hours.

From the Livestream site, here is an update of the musicians scheduled to perform:

This week! Pakele Live celebrates the release of Keep Strumming, a special 2-disc CD commemorating Kamaka Ukulele's 100th anniversary, with a stellar lineup of musicians! (Note: Kamaka is donating all proceeds from the CD to local children's music organizations.) ..... Scheduled to perform: Ben Chong, Kris & Keiko Fuchigami, Kalei Gamiao, David Kamakahi, Pomaika'i Lyman, Andrew Molina, Herb Ohta Jr, Halehaku Seabury, Jake Shimabukuro, Chad Takatsugi (with Glenn Mayeda and Zachary Lum), Bryan Tolentino, Byron Yasui, (plus possibly a few surprise guests!) - AND hula by Skyler Kamaka! Join us Thursday, Aug. 11, 6:30-8:30pm at the Willows (901 Hausten St.) - or watch live here!

http://livestream.com/pakele/kamaka

Kalei and Andrew were just at HMS in Haleiwa...they hope to play 2 songs each...but it will be a tight show.....

I want that CD! My stoopid work laptop (craptop, LOL) won't play videos. Wah!

I only saw the first hour or so live on the web, but it was great! And I scored a Reyn Kamaka shirt at the same time!

Thanks for the photos brother Stan.

You are very blessed to have been there in person.

I missed the first 30 mins but saw the rest, but did not see Jake perform, was he at the start?

It was a very special event and I really enjoyed the part of the show that I got to see.

I'll be buying that CD as well.

Thanks also to geetee for posting the link here so we could tune in :)

Thanks for the photos brother Stan.

You are very blessed to have been there in person.

I missed the first 30 mins but saw the rest, but did not see Jake perform, was he at the start?

It was a very special event and I really enjoyed the part of the show that I got to see.

I'll be buying that CD as well.

Thanks also to geetee for posting the link here so we could tune in :)[/QUOTE
Aloha Bruddah Booli, yup probably one of the best shows I've seen in a while. Wish you were here
Aloha Rick, Jake played bohemian rapsody and a new arrangement inspired classical by Bryan Yasui

Skipped a jam last night to watch the concert on livestream. What a wonderful show! Kamaka gathered together a humbling display of ukulele virtuosity.

The highlight of the show for me was when Benny Chong and Byron Yasui played a fantastic chord duet of "Holiday for Strings".

Skipped a jam last night to watch the concert on livestream. What a wonderful show! Kamaka gathered together a humbling display of ukulele virtuosity.

The highlight of the show for me was when Benny Chong and Byron Yasui played a fantastic chord duet of "Holiday for Strings".
Another Favorite.. when Jake did bohemian Rhapsody and a tribute song to bryon Yasui a concerto piece

Another Favorite.. when Jake did bohemian Rhapsody and a tribute song to bryon Yasui a concerto piece

Was this part in the livestream?

I did not see it last night and watching again now (the video is still there to watch, even after) the stream starts at 28mins into the supposed 2hrs of the stream, so it seems that Pakele Live may not have broadcast or recorded the first 28mins of the event.

I could be wrong...but would love to see Jake's performance. :music:

Forgive me for not remembering the names, but when I view the video, both last night and today, the 2 gents playing ukulele and guitar, just before Chris Fuchigami is where it starts for me, is this the same for everyone else?

Please advise...

...but would love to see Jake's performance. :music:

Forgive me for not remembering the names, but when I view the video, both last night and today, the 2 gents playing ukulele and guitar, just before Chris Fuchigami is where it starts for me, is this the same for everyone else?

Please advise...

You are seeing it from the beginning. The opening performance of the show was by Ohta-san's son, Herb Ohta, Jr., (ukulele) and Sam Kamaka's great-grandson, Chris Kamaka, Jr. (guitar). Looking at the archived show now, I see a two hour and 35 minute video which I can time scroll through to any point. Occasionally, I see little balloon messages pop up saying "disconnected" and "we're back" seeming to indicate glitches during the live stream. But it doesn't affect the play-back.

Jake was the last to perform. I didn't get the last song he played (Bohemian Rhapsody) but here are the previous two:

Just had a chance to watch and man this show was good. I really clicked with both bands with Herb Ohta Jr. I'm going to have to get more into his stuff. Chad Y (I think), what a singer. Really liked him too. And the guys that Andrew K often features on his channels.

Loved Jake's classical piece. Still hope there will be a recording of his Dr Yatsui concerto. And I'm looking forward to his Nashville album in September!

Top Bottom