Guitar Tabs to Ukulele

dlsn

Reaction score
I have seen in youtube a system for transposing guitar tabs to ukulele tabs. I have managed to come up with a chart outlining the notes in each string for each fret in both guitar and ukulele. My problem is there are notes that are either an octave higher or lower in the guitar that are outside the uke's fretboard.

How do you then go about transcribing those notes? How do you choose alternative notes which will allow you to play it in the uke?

I would imagine most tab programs, if we are actually talking tabs and not chord charts, would have a cut and paste feature that would allow you to copy existing tab, create a new document with ukulele, and then paste into the ukulele score.

I have been doing all of my arranging as of late on Notion, which has a computer and iPad app. If I paste notes into ukulele, the resulting tab can be on the wrong strings (e.g. Do you want a G4 played on the 4th string open or 2nd string 3rd fret). To solve this, I can drag the actual tab to another string where the note exists and it does it. I can also manually override notes (higher on the fretboard, etc).

Notion has a guitar only program called Progression which has all of the guitar stuff (not sure about ukulele, but I expect it is there) for less cost on both computer and iOS.

The only thing you can't do on the iOS version is create new chord symbols/fretboard markers, which you can do on the computer version.

And others would have to speak to the functionality of other tab programs that are out there.

Well, when adapting a melody to a new instrument, you cant always keep the same instrumentation.
If you can play the main melody within the range of the ukulele, you can do that and come up with a different accompagnement. Guitar tabs often have some bass notes that you just can't use on a uke, especially a reentrant one.

If the melody itself is outside the fretboard, you will have to transpose it to a different key.

A couple of times I have tried to change an instrumental intro from guitar tab to ukulele, where I have "rearranged" some notes. In particular when the intro consists of switching from a varying note of a scale to a stationary note, so that every second note you pick is the same. Twice I have encountered this kind of intro where this note was supposed to be below the scale, but I have moved it up an octave or two and played it higher than the scale. I was content with the way it sounded.

Low G tuning will give you a few more notes on the lower end, and sometimes that is enough. Some songs will just sound better if you transpose them to another key so you don't have to hop up an octave. I use Guitar Pro, and it has lots of tools that can be very helpful. Depending on the file format, you can import the guitar tab as a starting point. You add a ukulele by adding an instrument under exotic guitars. You can do custom tuning so that you have low g linear tuning.

–Lori

Top Bottom