First time dealing with Uke Republic

krush050

Reaction score
I FINALLY jumped the gun and purchased my first tenor- Kala spruce scalloped series! I typically would go through Hawaii music supply but when i spoke with them on the phone, i was less than impressed at how cold they were to me. i noticed that Uke Republic got the same ukulele in just recently and was more than impressed with their customer service. When i called, Mike was enthusiastic and more than willing to lend me his advice on what strings to order which are living waters low g set!! I even ordered a uke crazy alligator case and a strap button! Definitely will do business with them in the future!

Last edited:
I've had great experiences with Uke Republic, too, even if it was just for things like strings.
I also had an experience with the other company that left me less than impressed, and shopping elsewhere. We all have bad days, so maybe that's all it was.

Mike is great. And his store, Uke Republic, is great! I could spend all day in there! My shopping experience at Uke Republic was tops. I like the website as well.

Now, I also have a strange story about that other store. When I was ready to order my Blackbird Clara, I called the number and talked to a certain fellow who was obviously eating a very messy sandwich, or maybe a burrito, but whatever it was, it must have been delicious, because he had absolutely no interest in helping me or even talking to me. Basically told me "no, we don't do that" when I inquired about a passive pickup and quickly got off the phone with me. So, I ended up calling Blackbird directly and ordered the instrument just as I wanted it.

If you live in the Atlanta area, Uke Republic hosts different events and workshops and it is a great venue. Mike really makes you feel at home.

I called Hawaii Music Supple or The ukulele site, and Aaron answerd (the big guy who has the online lessons) he seems so jolly and happy online but it seemed like he and no interest in helping too! i called and said i was interested in buying a ukulele! His response was ".......um okay" i proceeded to ask him questions and they were very short direct answers. Then i call mike.... "Hey!!! Great! You've called to the right place! What can i do to help?!?" Just very jovial and fun to talk to! Hah funny thing....it probably was a burrito. I'm pretty sure The Ukulele Site is right next to a taco place!

BTW, enjoy that new ukulele! I'll be watching for a NUD. :)

Mike is great! He's my primary source for Living Water Strings and kazoos!

I ordered a clear Waterman with Fremont Mediums today, so I don't have to take my KoAloha and Bruko ukes to serenade art show patrons and jurors as they peruse my wooden wares.

Echoing the sentiments of others here...

I have also bought from Uke Republic a handful of times. Mike McQueen is also very awesome, kind and knowledgeable, and despite being the boss and likely very busy, made me feel important to him, and like I was his most significant customer. This experience has been ether repeated or improved with every contact.

But yes, UKE REPUBLIC is awesome and I love Mike's YT video demos!

[edited to remove previously posted content not related to my interactions with Uke Republic]

Last edited:
The one thing I do wish Uke Republic did was include some sort of case for free and a humidifier! I know thats not a deal breaker by any means, but it would be helpful! Does anyone know how they come shipped? Maybe I'll email mike and ad a case to my order!

The one thing I do wish Uke Republic did was include some sort of case for free and a humidifier! I know thats not a deal breaker by any means, but it would be helpful! Does anyone know how they come shipped? Maybe I'll email mike and ad a case to my order!
The only vendors I've ever seen offer a free case were custom builders....but it won't hurt to ask.

Hah funny thing....it probably was a burrito. I'm pretty sure The Ukulele Site is right next to a taco place!

I'm not following the train of thought about burritos and taco places. Can you clarify?

�� (Taco emoji)

Then i call mike.... "Hey!!! Great! You've called to the right place! What can i do to help?!?" Just very jovial and fun to talk to!

I have long chats with Mike at the last two Tampa Bay shows he has attended, and I find him to be charming and attentive. When I asked him to bring a few items to the show from his store, they were there and even though it was accessories and strings, his attention was on me during the discussion and subsequent sale. Thanks Mike.

I'm not following the train of thought about burritos and taco places. Can you clarify?

�� (Taco emoji)

I should have quoted that lol. Ukejenny made a comment about someone eating a burrito at HMS when she called there.

I plan to deal with him soon about a custom LoPrinzi

ubulele, I don't think you could go wrong. Mike knows LoPrinzi ukes as well as anyone. Donna's work is very high quality, I just don't have the bread for one. She builds a couple of miles from us, and we see her sweet smiling face every year at TBUG, and Mike too. I don't have any ukes from Mike, although I would have bought one last year, but it was sold.

I've dealt with both HMS and Uke Republic and had good experiences with both. I'm a bit surprised about HMS, as Andrew has always been very responsive,......as of course, the late, great MGM was. Hey, we all have bad days on occasion..........and how many of us have been caught with a untimely mouth full of tuna?

and how many of us have been caught with a untimely mouth full of tuna?

Many, many times, by my cats. But only fresh caught, lightly seared tuna steaks, my friend!

and how many of us have been caught with a untimely mouth full of tuna?

Many, many times, by my cats. But only fresh caught, lightly seared tuna steaks, my friend!
Ha, ha........extra wasabi for me please!

Last edited:
Huh⁇ The ukes were shipped to them from China or Indonesia or wherever. The K brands would have been built in Hawaii. End-to-end, it's going to be roughly the same carbon footprint, no matter how it got to the vendor; you're still responsible for the whole path, not just the path from the vendor.

Ok, My bad, I had not considered the point-of-origin of the ukes. I will have to re-think this.

As for HMS's cool manner, how relevant is that really in the transaction? ... which limits the time they can spend on the phone with waffling customers talking about a $300 Kala as if it's a life-or-death decision.

Actually it's the WHOLE enchilada. If $300 is a lot of money to me, and the vendor treats me like I am a bother and not worth their time, then sorry, but I will buy elsewhere. This may come as a shock to some of you readers here, but not everyone WANTS a $2,500 Hawaiian-made uke. Right now I do not, nor would consider it. I am not going to list my reasons as that's not what this is about.

I only wish to offer a balancing viewpoint to the negative comments about HMS.

While it may not seem so, brother ubulele, I respect what you have said and will consider it as per your own personal experience.

Actually it's the WHOLE enchilada. If $300 is a lot of money to me, and the vendor treats me like I am a bother and not worth their time, then sorry, but I will buy elsewhere. This may come as a shock to some of you readers here, but not everyone WANTS a $2,500 Hawaiian-made uke. Right now I do not, nor would consider it. I am not going to list my reasons as that's not what this is about.

Exactly! there were other reasons that factored in to my decision other than my bad experience.
Right now, my experience with ukuleles is still at the beginning stages. This will be my second serious uke. My first serious uke is a pono asd that i did buy from HMS....that was my first baby, but the pono tenors i feel are too heavy and big for my playing style right now. The Kala seemed right for where I'm at. Even the Pono i have was and is still a bit overwhelming. The strings are thicker, it was lower action, and although it got easier as time went on, i felt that it was beyond my skill level. Trying out the Kala a few months ago, everything seemed to come together....much easier to play!

Exactly! there were other reasons that factored in to my decision other than my bad experience.
Right now, my experience with ukuleles is still at the beginning stages. This will be my second serious uke. My first serious uke is a pono asd that i did buy from HMS....that was my first baby, but the pono tenors i feel are too heavy and big for my playing style right now. The Kala seemed right for where I'm at. Even the Pono i have was and is still a bit overwhelming. The strings are thicker, it was lower action, and although it got easier as time went on, i felt that it was beyond my skill level. Trying out the Kala a few months ago, everything seemed to come together....much easier to play!

A set of Martin M620 strings are like $5 everywhere and likely thinner than the nylon or Nylgut strings you have on now.

Too much tension? Then try Worth CM - if too much tension still then try the Martin M600 (yes ON A TENOR) - and yes this is a progression of thinner gauges from about 45lbs total down to about 38lbs total for the whole set, and yes ON A TENOR UKE....(stringsbymail.com and stringsandbeyond.com are YOUR FRIENDS)

String action is one of the easier things to adjust, all you really need is an emery board, or nail file from the dollar store that is at least 6" long and lots of patience to lower the action, and to raise the action you can cut strips of paper or cardstock or even use some flat, wooden toothpicks, or a 1/8" wide strip of wood veneer, each placed under the saddle to raise it up until you get the string height you want.

Buying a whole new uke because you dont like the strings, string feel, or string action is like buying a whole new car because you do not like the existing RADIO presets on the old car...

There's like 40 different companies making strings for ukulele today and of those companies, at least half of them have like 2-3 or more different varieties or gauges of strings, so if you dont like the strings you already have on the instrument, you have literally HUNDREDS of choices for alternatives.

Last edited:
Yes, I can see that. But if you stay on point, I don't think you'd have that experience with HMS—even if you're only spending $300, they want you to be satisfied. I don't want to leave the impression that they're elitist—I've never felt that from them—only that they're busy, often with customers right in the building that they literally can't afford to ignore for long. In the cell phone/convenience age, we often get too used to the idea that everyone else should be at our instant beck and call, for as long as we like; we don't sufficiently prepare to reduce the impact on their time.

yes ubu, you've made some really good points here. :)

Top Bottom