WTB - Kanilea guitarlele - or similar

gml

Reaction score
Hi All,

I didn't know something like this even existed until the other day, and I'm really curious to try one. Anyone have a used Kanilea guitarlele they'd like to part with? I'm interested in a baritone scale - the Kanilea GL6-D is the one that seems to fit what I'm looking for, but if there are others I'm not familiar with l'd be happy to take a look.

Thanks!
gary

There are others, but IMO the one you are looking at is by far the best available. I have a Kanile'a GL-6 Deluxe that I may consider selling...I need to think about it for a bit.

I own the Islander GL6 (also made by Kanile'a) which is - if I am informed correctly - much like the GL-6, but the "budget version" (other wood (laminated?) and more "plain"). I am interested in selling mine, but as I am in Europe and you are in the USA, I guess that the postage would make any deal too unattractive for you. Just wanted to let you know nevertheless that a Kanile'a guitarlele is indeed a very good choice. The other alternative I would have a look at (if you really consider that price range) is the KoAloha D6 / D-VI.

Last edited:
Hi Gary,
I'll be keeping mine after-all. I'd just have to replace it with another one down the line anyway. :cool:

You don't see these up for sale very often on the used market, but it is worth a try.

I think that these are worth every penny...even at the NEW pricing. A professional quality and unique instrument in it's own rite.

William

Last edited:
Glad to hear that, William. :) I plan on getting one in a few weeks (just sold some stuff to make it possible), and I was curious how you'd decide. If you had sold it, I'd have asked about the reasons. Part of me keeps thinking I should get a guitar instead (you can get some excellent guitars for the same price), but I don't really want to go so big, and the guitarlele sound resonates better with me than that of a classical guitar. I do like the latter, but I think for my own playing I'd rather have the higher tuning and the chirpier sound texture. What strings are you using? (Sorry, bit off topic here.)

I buy Kanile'a strings through HMS when available. They used to be about nine bucks a set and I bought quite a few sets from them. They used to be 16 bucks + shipping through Kanile'a direct so no discounts there.

I like the way that they sound, feel and last.

What sells me is the quality and sensitivity of sound and feel in such a small package. I've always been amazed that there is not more excitement about these instruments.

I have a Yamaha GL-1 if interested...:shaka:

Wm.

You liking the Kanile'a strings is good news. Those would be my preference (figuring the instrument is designed for them), but I had heard some complaints about them being too floppy, so I was curious what someone thought of them who had the GL6 for a while.

As for the Yamaha ... not for me. :p I listened to all kinds of guitarleles, and I concluded that this is one instrument where it has got to be the Kanile'a or nothing, for me. I wasn't crazy about the Islander models sound-wise (perhaps the different bracing, perhaps the different tonal woods).

I have a minty Kanilea GL-6 for sale right now on fleamarketmusic.com if you're interested. 831-915-1815 corhoff@gmail.com. I'll send you more pics if you want.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the great input about the Kanilea's. I've been able to find one and just got it a week or so ago. It is really quite an amazing instrument - I really agree with Warndt about the quality of the sound in such a small package. I'm blown away by it every time I pick it up, which is quite a lot so far!

Top Bottom