PDA

View Full Version : NUD Kala Michael Aratani limited edition tenor

HubbaBubba
08-12-2016, 04:28 PM
It actually came yesterday but, today was the first chance I had to write about it. I bought it from HMS. They were wonderful! I had a last minute addition to my order, a strap button on the heel of the neck, and told them to add it to my card. They said they did not have my card number but, not to worry, the button was on them. The uke arrived less than 48 hrs after it shipped. It was packaged in the included case and packaged very well.

When I opened it up, the sun grew a little brighter and angels began to sing. It is beautiful. This is not a Kala elite but, Kala did a beautiful job on this solid wood uke. I don't have much to compare it to as my only other ukes are fairly cheap. I have a Bruce Wei that, up until now, I thought sounded very nice. The Kala has very nice tones. When finger picking, it has a bell like quality to its sound. My wife immediately commented about how much louder it was than my other ukes. The action job by HMS was great. I wish my guitars played this easily. Since I am a very new uke player I have to use my limited experience to evaluate my new baby. It plays very easily with no buzzing, even during some fairly vigorous strumming. The tone is pleasing to the ear and as I said before, it has a bell like quality to the sound. The construction and finish look great. As far as HMS, I could not have asked for better service. We had several e-mail conversations back and forth and they were more than kind. My next task is to honor MGM with this uke by making joyful music.

Nickie
08-12-2016, 04:41 PM
Congrats hubbabubba!
Yes, for an Asian assemblyline uke, Kala is pretty darn near tops. I still love my 5 year old Kala, beat up as it is. It sings like a bird, too. Think I'll tie a lo G string on it tomorrow, before our gals night out jam session.
Kala wanted to make that model special, because of their appreciation for Mike, and I think they accomplished it.
Enjoy!

OhioBelle
08-12-2016, 06:31 PM
Congrats! nice uke choice. I've considered that model myself. Hope it gives you many hours of joy

Camsuke
08-12-2016, 08:48 PM
Congratulations HubbaBubba, nice choice, enjoy.