NUD: Mainland Cedar Baritone

OhioBelle

Reaction score
**pics added below!**

Took advantage of Mainland's cosmetic seconds sale today. I wasn't looking to buy another uke so soon, but I couldn't pass up this chance. This size and this wood have been on my radar for a while. My beautiful little mahogany soprano is testament to the quality of a Mainland, so I didn't think there was much risk in making the drive over to Indiana.

It was definitely worth the risk! Mike and his wife Tootka had the baritone set up and waiting. It love at first strum, but I strummed some other lovelies just to be sure. Mike and Tootka were patient and didn't mind. I tried two mahogany baris, a cedar tenor, a cedar concert, and a mango pineapple. All marvelous instruments I would have loved to own. But the cedar bari had my heart. I came for it, and I left with it. Also left with a couple extra sets of Guadalupe strings, the strings they'd put on my luscious new bari. Bonus!

Pics tomorrow, if the light cooperates.

Last edited:
Congrats! I hope we get to see it soon, if you can put it down, that is!

Congratulations, enjoy! I've had several Mainlands pass through my hands. I found them all to be wonderful, reliable ukes that play, sound and look great! The one I've enjoyed most (and kept) is a concert, same woods as your bari. I haven't played a Mainland bari yet, but I sure will if I get the chance! And I agree, great people at Mainland, folks who care and know what they're doing! :)

I'm also considering a Mainland Cedar Baritone. Could you tell me what the nut width is on your uke?

Congratulations Ohiobelle those Mainland instruments are great and I love the wood combo you picked. Let us know how you like your first baritone. They are different animals compared to smaller ukes but I love the deep soothing relaxed tone they produce. ENJOY the heck out of it

Nice! Enjoy!!!

Thank you all! I AM truly fortunate to have this nice little collection, thank you Camsuke. And Nickie, you're right, it's very hard to put down! If I didn't have to sleep and go to work, it would be in my arms 24/7. It is THAT good. And DownUpDave, soothing and relaxing is exactly what it is. I actually fell asleep with it across my chest last night. The sound is so resonant, with sustain for miles. Also lovely overtones, probably from the rosewood back and sides. I'm really happy with this combination of woods, too.

Ken H., I'll measure that nut for you when I get home tonight (and post those pics!) It must be wider than my other ukes, because it feels so roomy. Still not as wide as a guitar though. I was really challenged in my reach on guitar with my short arms and fingers. One reason why I fell in love with the uke so quickly! Now, I feel like I can have the best of both worlds. The rich sound of a larger-bodied instrument on something that's easy to hold and play. Even barre chords are easier. Don't know if that's because of the best set-up in the world, or due to the roomier fretboard?

Can't wait to share my pics with you all!

Pictures

Still rainy and overcast, so I had to take these indoors.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

And undergoing mandatory Bengal Cat inspection

image.jpg

Also - measured the nut. It's 1.5 inches.

Congrats Angela. Nice looking Uke. I really like the looks of the rope binding, especially around the head stock. Use it well.

Thanks, Lenny. Am a big fan of the rope binding, too. As you pointed out, it sets off the dark rosewood veneer on the headstock rather well. I can't stop staring at this one. It's just so pretty.

Bengals are such beautiful cats with great personalities!

Congrats to the baritone, too. :) Looks awesome!

Bengals are such beautiful cats with great personalities!

Congrats to the baritone, too. :) Looks awesome!

Thanks Mivo! Bengals are the perfect combination between a cat and a dog. So curious and fun-loving. Fiero must inspect everything that comes into the house, especially the ukuleles. He is as bad as me about sniffing sound holes! He likes this baritone very much. I think he approves of the different sound. :love:

Thanks for sharing your new baby!

Since I am quite broke at the moment, I need to live vicariously through your experience, I hope you dont mind....:)

Also WHAT are those wild looking strings? , with a purple-striped B string and an orange-red E string - PLEASE - do tell?

Last edited:
Don't mind at all, Booli! Happy to be of service, ha ha ha!

Aren't those strings nuts? The first thought that ran through my head was a mariachi guitar. And guess what? The company that makes these out in California, Guadalupe Custom Strings, was started by a guy from Los Lobos. They were on the baritone when I got to the shop. I was like whoa! Mariachi! But I loved the way they felt and sounded. D & G are silver wrapped, B & E are NYLON wrapped. They feel funky but in a good way. Apparently if you custom order, you can get them in a whole assortment of colors.

That is a "second?" Wow. I need to go to Indiana.

Yeah! A second! I found the blems, but I'm not telling where they are! I told Mike he could give me the "blemmiest of the blems" so then I wouldn't be paranoid about dinging it myself.

And yes, EVERYBODY needs to go to Indiana! Mike and Tootka invited me to their big "party" next Spring, Ukulele World Congress. I was interested in going in 2016, but it was the beginning of June and I'd just had major surgery on 28 April. So there's always next year! It sounds like great fun.

Congrats on a beautiful Mainland! Looks sweet! :shaka:

How lovely!!! And the sides/back - bubba bubba! I'm glad is sounds as sweet as it looks! I love the sound of the baritone uke, but the frets don't work for me. I'd love to have that sound available though!

Beautiful uke. Congratulations! The last picture with the cat in it made me laugh - loved that one

Top Bottom