D'addario J71 vs EJ65T

Lillo

Reaction score
Hi all! I didn't find any other specific topic so I opened a new one I hope I did it right (it's my first day here :))
So I really like Jake Shimabukuro sound, I know that is mainly due to his crazy ability on the uke, the kamaka custom tenor and maybe even the microphone effect but...I was wondering if I might get a closer sound putting some d'addario strings on my Kanile'a tenor.
I saw different types, but among the nylon ones 2 in particular:
-J71
-EJ65

Does someone know what is the difference between the two? Looking at the specifics even the tension seems to be similar.
Anyone who tried one of the 2, or maybe both ?
I know they tend to be harder and ticker so your hands need to be well trained but I was wondering if some of you guys actually tried them on a full Koa instrument.

Cheers! :)

I have used both the J71 and EJ 65. Try them both and see how you like them. That is the only way you will know if they will work for you.

Actually they are just the same strings, but the j71 is an older labeling, when the set was born and inside it had the "guitar strings" folders. Now they re-labeled all the ukulele sets with code-names and everything, and the j71 are the ej65t.

Thats because now all the nylon line is "ej65", then with the letter "s", "c" or "t" referring to the uke (soprano, concert or tenor).

Actually they are just the same strings, but the j71 is an older labeling, when the set was born and inside it had the "guitar strings" folders. Now they re-labeled all the ukulele sets with code-names and everything, and the j71 are the ej65t.

Thats because now all the nylon line is "ej65", then with the letter "s", "c" or "t" referring to the uke (soprano, concert or tenor).

Are you sure? I thought the J71 were clear nylon and the EJ 65 are extruded. The J71 seemed smoother to me if I remember correctly. I mean smoother on the finger. The EJ 65 had a texture to the string.
I thought the EJ 65 took the place of the J71 not just the name as the J71 are repackaged classical strings.

Pier, can you please post a link to where you got this information. Also, have you tried both of these strings?
Thanks.

BTW, I use classical guitar strings on my tenor. It is the only type I will string it with as, all "ukulele" strings seem to fail me in one aspect or another.

Last edited:
I was also noticing that on d'addario website, ukulele products section only EJ65T are displayed and no J71.
I also checked the classical section without finding J71. It's curious, isn't it? Might that be due to the fact that one line replaced the other?

johnson430 yes that's true but I was wondering why on the top of EJ65T still says "clear nylon".

Cheers :)

Last edited:
There were the article by d'addario, explaining all the new names and codes.
Extruded nylon is the clear nylon. Rectified is the black "sanded" with a texture. It's strange that you found it rough.
A bad set?

J71 were guitar strings repackeged, but the inside folders were still the guitar ones.
Gauges of ej65t and j71 are the same.

There were the article by d'addario, explaining all the new names and codes.
Extruded nylon is the clear nylon. Rectified is the black "sanded" with a texture. It's strange that you found it rough.
A bad set?

J71 were guitar strings repackeged, but the inside folders were still the guitar ones.
Gauges of ej65t and j71 are the same.

Thanks for clarifying. You might be right about a bad set.

I purchased EJ65T :drool:
Can't wait to try them

Now I finally understand why it was so easy to find EJ65T online and J71 were almost non existent in European online shops.

Thanks you all!

I finally put the EJ65T on my new Kanile'a! At first I didn't notice much difference in tone with the Aquila nylgut. Now that they have properly set up I am loving the sound.

One of the main difference is definitely the tension! They are harder than Aquila, which I like quite a lot, arpeggios&fingerpicking are much easier to play and the resonance improves. Strumming is okay too. Overall I am happy with them, some said that they were very thick. Now I don't feel that under my fingers, I only sense the high tension.

:shaka:

Top Bottom