Luthiery on a shoestring - no squeeze out gluing

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I have never understood the concept of squeeze out - any glue that gets onto a surface it is not supposed to invariably causes problems down the line. I have learnt a simple method of getting enough glue onto component parts to minimise squeeze out to practically none at all. The secret is good lighting which will show a nice thin transparent spreading of glue - and fingers as glue spreaders! Don't get me started - USE A BRUSH! Here is the alternative to a brush that really 'works' and never lets me down. I have excellent consistent adhesion with no squeeze out...

Completely agree, Pete. James Krenov goes to some lengths about all this in "A Cabinet Maker's Notebook." I think. Perhaps it's the "Impractical Cabinet Maker." He said one of his masters would demand, "Now what are you going to do with all that extra glue?" A bit of silly sarcasm, but point made.

Despite all the benefits of the internet, once somebody mentions something like "squeeze out" in a posting, some readers assume they also should have "squeeze out" as well. Perhaps your posting will help a few people who want to be top-notch woodworkers. (If you're a high-production facility, I'd say this is, indeed, impractical. Looking inside an old Favilla, there's an unapologetic bead of hide glue all around the inside. But it's small and uniform.) I sometimes need to curse Krenov and Persig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" for imbuing a sense of blind perfectionism in my woodworking. I have no regrets, but your mileage is certain to vary.

Thanks Pete. Looks like a good approach.

I guess the idea of squeeze-out is a visual verification of adequate glue and adhesion pressure. I assume different woods absorb different amounts of applied glue. Without squeeze-out, I (sporadic amateur wood worker) would need a lot more experience to know that I used enough glue and applied sufficient pressure. This is especially true for bridges.

Last edited:
And there you go - an apology for squeeze out. It was bound to happen despite my assertion in the video that using a roller eliminates this because the roller performs the act of 'squeezing out'. If your parts fit right in the first place this method guarantees a perfect adhesion without the headache of cleaning up and contamination. Honestly folks, I'm not the glue police; however, after 794 instruments, you'd think I'd be starting to get it right wouldn't you?

Top Bottom