Strumming?

kierannestor

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm brand new to ukulele as in I just got it in the post a couple of hours ago :) and its awesome :D
but i do have a question before i used to play acoustic and electric guitar and i used to always play with a pick never with my hand so I would like to know how to strum properly on a ukulele as i don't think that i am doing it right and i obviously i dont want to pick up any bad habits as im just starting
Cheers,
Kieran

there's various ways to strum. a lot of people use their fingers, some use their thumb. do whatever feels right for now. you can buy felt picks too but i've personally never used one. if you check the lessons here on ukuleleunderground - you'll find a lesson dedicated to strumming by aldrine - take his word as gospel and you'll be A-OK :) mahaloz :shaka:

thanks very much, personally i do not want to play uke with a pick so i'll go check up that strumming video right now!
cheers dude:cool:

there's various ways to strum. a lot of people use their fingers, some use their thumb. do whatever feels right for now. you can buy felt picks too but i've personally never used one. if you check the lessons here on ukuleleunderground - you'll find a lesson dedicated to strumming by aldrine - take his word as gospel and you'll be A-OK :) mahaloz :shaka:

go with this. and dont forget, the hardest part is the first month you play. Then all you have to do is enjoy the ride. Don't ever stop ukein!!!

Yup. What the guys said.

Aldrine's stuff is great, and it is gospel - but it's Aldrine's gospel. Yours might end up being a little different. There are various approaches, but for a starting point you can't beat Aldrine's lessons.

The guy is a one-man public service, and a lot of people are really grateful for what he has taught us (for me it's gratitude mixed with awe and frustration!)

If you haven't already, it might be a good idea to start growing and strengthening those right hand fingernails.

Oh, and welcome, Kieran! :shaka:

PS: I visit the next county up from you (Kerry) at least once a year. SW Ireland is a lovely place - Lucky man!

Last edited:
thanks for all the positive support! :D
really nice to get that when just learning something new

Aldrine is excellent its great to see someone teaching other people a talent out of love for the instrument as he could easily charge for lessons!

Dont worry i will keep at this i was looking for something new to play and the uke just called to me,
and i guess the first month for any instrument is hardest cause my right hand is not to happy with me at the moment :)
thanks for the tip on the fingernails i see how that would help :shaka:

and yup im lucky to be living there even though it rains alot but sure that gives me more time to practice :D

I been playing the ukulele for about 4 months now and I just started learning how to strum. Here's what my ukulele teacher taught me. Always use your right index finger (down stroke and up stroke), always keep your right index finger relaxed, and strum over the fretboard(where the body meets the neck) and grow your fingernails out and keep practicing because the first month is the hardest.

That sounds like a good rule-of-thumb summary for starting out. :cool:

theres a guy called aaron on you tube from hawiianmusicsupply that gives good lessons on starting out and then strumming, i saved his lessons in the right order for when i get my new uke today, i'll use them for a week and see how i get on, im a complete novice and this guy gave me the confidence to just buy one and give it a go.

just paste these exactly as i give them in youtubes search and you should be fine, i'll have all these open at once later lol

Ukulele Tuning and Holding - Free Ukulele Lessions
Fun Ukulele Chord Progression - Free Ukulele Lessons
Ukulele Lessons - Right Hand Strumming Beginner
Free Ukulele Lesson - Advanced Strumming Techniques
Learn To Play Ukulele Free - Basic Chords

I'm sure people have already pointed you guys to it, but you'll get a good course in all the basics if you work your way through the huge list of Adrine's video lessons!

Strumming, picking, tuning, string changes, songs... it's all there! :) :shaka:

I love this place! :D

Top Bottom