WTB: 8 String Uke

Last edited:
Edit to add: 8 string concert is called a taropatch but good luck finding one. They're pretty rare and pretty expensive.

Ohana is supposed to be coming out with a taropatch rather soon... I'm hoping sooner than later as I am really wanting one!!

Have been using an Oscar Schmidt OU28T for quite a while. Except for the cheesy "Aloha" between the tuners, it's a pretty good instrument (I covered the "Aloha" with a sticker and my sensitivities were satisfied).

The OS OU28T costs around $100 which makes it a decent price for experimentation. Here's an old sound sample I made for a review a wile back: https://soundcloud.com/steveztv/oscar-schmidt-ou28t-heart-of

Have been using an Oscar Schmidt OU28T for quite a while. Except for the cheesy "Aloha" between the tuners, it's a pretty good instrument (I covered the "Aloha" with a sticker and my sensitivities were satisfied).

The OS OU28T costs around $100 which makes it a decent price for experimentation. Here's an old sound sample I made for a review a wile back: https://soundcloud.com/steveztv/oscar-schmidt-ou28t-heart-of

I've never used Jet.com before, but if you opt out of free returns and pay with debit card and get the 15% off for the first 3 orders, you can get one for $60!!! Even if you keep the options, it's only $62.

https://jet.com/product/detail/613635e96fca491eb67b20e166b41743?jcmp=pla:ggl:cwin_arts_entertainment_a1:hobbies_creative_arts_musical_instruments_string_instruments_a1_other:na:pLA_348810540_24232007460_pla-161721009900:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&ds_c=cwin_arts_entertainment_a1&ds_cid=&ds_ag=hobbies_creative_arts_musical_instruments_string_instruments_a1_other&product_id=613635e96fca491eb67b20e166b41743&product_partition_id=161721009900&gclid=CL7Q1bPa0s4CFQWUfgodk2sKIw&gclsrc=aw.ds

I too am waiting for the Ohana CK-35-8, but expecting to price to be just short of $300.

Last edited:
I bought my Martin 0XK on Jet. Great transaction, and yes, I used the 15% so it cost me about $180 shipped, with the gig bag!

Thank you for the welcome, Jim! And thank you for the tip on the Kala KA-8. I'd been thinking of spending around $250 (or less, of course ��) so the Kala fits right in that range. SteveZ recommends the Oscar Schmidt OU28T as worth consideration, too. Thank you, Steve! Both look like good options.

I'm an Elderly fan and very satisfied customer, and am fortunate to live only 40 minutes away. Been buying various instruments from them for decades. I'll give them a call and ask what prices they'd charge for both ukes.

Last edited:
At $289, the Ohana solid mahogany 8 string tenor or their solid spruce topped model, is the tenor 8 string to beat. Sound is stunning for that price range and you'd have to pay 2-3 times at much to match or beat it. The concert sized Taropatch was supposed to be out this month. I'm waiting on one too but will have trouble deciding on the all solid mahogany or solid mahogany spruce topped model. Likely to cost about the same as the tenor.

Kala is nice, and there is another one that I have played and loved. the Moku 8-strings are awesome.
Now, here is my take on this. I have played many ukes, and many people make awesome budget 4 string ukes, but I found that spending real money ($800+) on an 8-string was worth the money. they are bigger and have a lot more tension (Like double) and to make one that will not rip the bridge off or bow the neck takes skill.
Just sayn'
:eek:

At $289, the Ohana solid mahogany 8 string tenor or their solid spruce topped model, is the tenor 8 string to beat. Sound is stunning for that price range and you'd have to pay 2-3 times at much to match or beat it. The concert sized Taropatch was supposed to be out this month. I'm waiting on one too but will have trouble deciding on the all solid mahogany or solid mahogany spruce topped model. Likely to cost about the same as the tenor.

Thanks for the info, Phil!

Kala is nice, and there is another one that I have played and loved. the Moku 8-strings are awesome.
Now, here is my take on this. I have played many ukes, and many people make awesome budget 4 string ukes, but I found that spending real money ($800+) on an 8-string was worth the money. they are bigger and have a lot more tension (Like double) and to make one that will not rip the bridge off or bow the neck takes skill.
Just sayn'
:eek:

Thanks, Ukeeku!

I have a wonderful Charles Fukuba 8-string tenor. There's a lot of sound there and it takes considerable effort. The Right hand has to choose what it wants to sound on every stroke, otherwise it can be something of a muddy jumble. From some years of playing Flamenco guitar ( and autoharp!) I don't find this difficult, but it might be new to some players. Left hand pressure is considerably higher than any other ukulele. I like it for some songs. It overwhelms some other songs. I've enjoyed my time with it, but it is a bit of a beast.

I have a Lanikai O-8e tenor eight string. Sold spruce top, laminated ovankol back and sides, gloss finish, slotted headstock, electronic pick-up. If interested PM me!

Top Bottom