Bonanza Ukuleles

UkeStuff

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I had permission to drive up to the Silver Creek International Ukulele Carnival today (with active boys that are 4 and 8, I usually need to be on hand). I had a great time--a wonderful event hosted by the Twin Harbors Ukulele Group (THUG). It's a drive from the Twin Cities (about 3 hours), but there were folks from across the US and Canada.

They had a few vendors there, and one was Bonanza Ukulele. The company has been making ukuleles for about 18 months, first out of laminate (check out Petey Mack's videos on YouTube) and they have been making solid wood ukuleles for about 3 months.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cMY99CRE23s

The solid wood ukuleles are made out of sustainable hardwoods that are familiar to those of us on the continental US, such as Black Walnut and Aspen. They also had one made out of cherry...which looked beautiful.

The design of the new wood ukuleles is amazing (the top and bottom have perferling that is actually CNCed as part of the construction--and they can even laser etch a design on the face of a ukulele.

They also sell some neat ukulele "carousel" tables--I'll be buying one of those for my classroom.

I did a search for Bonanza Ukuleles before posting--but they have only been mentioned in other threads--and it is a ukulele that sounds nice (I was partial to the Apsen tenor) and economically affordable for some personalization and customization. Pricing for non-customized ukuleles (any size) was under $300. And many options can be added.

That said, they aren't going to sound like a $2000 custom, or even like my KoAloha Opio Tenor ($520). But at the price point for a customizable, American-made ukulele, it is worth a look, and a chance to own a very playable and nice solid wood instrument for not a whole lot of money (comparatively).

They were also at UWC this year.

And they still do the laminate ukuleles as Petey Mack showed last year. (Incidentally, Petey and Ukester Brown were featured guests at the SCIUC this year--wonderful teachers, players, and people).

Bonanza's website hasn't been updated to include their new wood ukuleles, but they will hopefully get to that soon, and you can always e-mail them if interested. I have a sneaky idea to get one customized for my school program, and to give it away as a prize during one of our fundraisers!

http://bonanzaukuleles.com

I plan to check 'em out in person if they are at UWC next year. Hope so!

I would assume they will be there again. They are really great people! I have a Bonanza baritone I got in 2014. It has a very distinct sound to it. It is rather nice, but is definitely different that my solid wood ukes (note: I have not had a chance to play his wood models yet, so the comparison is with the laminate ones). Pete Mai keeps improving on his designs. He often sends his ukes to people to try and give him feedback which he incorporates into his next designs.

Hey Choirguy- I was there too, SCIUC, good times! I adore Bonanza Uke's. I feel in love with an aspen baritone, alas, Petey mack had dibs on it. SO, I currently have them making me a custom aspen top, cherry back and sides concert size! Super excited to get it!!

I was following a "rabbit hole" on facebook, and found myself on Bonanza's page. I was in the market for a ukulele to take to club meetings. One I could shove in a backpack along with my music stand and songbooks, and wouldn't have to worry about scratching it. As I scrolled through their "Deal of the Day" postings, I was intrigued by one that Shelly did on October 23rd that she had named "Bella."Much to my delight, it was still available, and so I completed the transaction, and Shelly shipped it to me. I received it last week, and was absolutely THRILLED beyond my wildest dreams. "Bella" is beautiful with a clear, resonant voice. I took her to a Uke club meeting on Sunday, and several people approached to admire her and asked to play her. They all were impressed with the tone and clarity. The instrument came with a built in tuner, and strap buttons, and Shelly sold me a strap, too.

The shape, which they call "The Flatlander" is perfect for club meetings, because she will stand on a tabletop so I don't have to bring an instrument stand, and has a built in pickup, which will be handy when when I get the confidence to lead a song for the club.

I couldn't be happier with the purchase, and would highly recommend Bonanza to anyone.

That's so great, Amy! I have a Bonanza tenor on order, that should hopefully arrive sometime in December. So glad you are loving yours. I hope Bella gives ou years of joy.

Sounds like you kind of like my Bella. I'm glad she went to someone who appreciates her.

Ohio Belle. Yours is being strung up tonight. Should ship Monday. Thanks for

I think they are great quality for the price.

Shelley often puts some up for sale on the FaceBook Ukulele Market Place.

Very nice people.

Bonanza Pete, I certainly do appreciate her! I have only been playing ukulele for a few years. But like most of us, I have contracted UAS, and am always dreaming of my "next" uke. I am constantly looking at ukes on the internet and scoping out other people's instruments at meetups and festivals. But I was fickle; one day preferring the bright plucky sound of my spruce topped soprano, then the next day longing for the warm mellow embrace of my husband's mahogany concert, the day after that lusting after a friend's koa tenor.

But all that changed when I met Bella.

I can't explain it, but from the moment I took her out of the box, tuned her up and strummed my first chord, I was totally smitten. She felt strong and solid, yet lightweight and comfortable. She has a beautiful voice, but isn't fragile or high maintenance. The only other thing I can compare it to is when I tried on a pair of Teva sandals for the first time. Nothing to break in, nothing to adjust, just strap 'em on and go! I can't walk past my music stand without picking her up and picking out a tune. I love her more every day!

Last edited:
AmyDee. Your words mean the world to me. As a longtime woodworker I have always loved the look of rustic hickory. When I decided to use it for ukuleles I had no idea what kind of voice it would have. Worst case it would make a great one to hang on the wall looks wise.
The beauty of it is it sounded great. When I built my 100th uke I did it in Rustic hickory. Shelley has since claimed it.
When I hear you expressing your feelings for Bella it makes me happy. For you, me ,and Bella.
Maybe someday you will share a recording.
Thanks

Got an email from Shelly this morning...my uke construction has started!! I haven't even got it yet and I'm already contemplating a laminate based on all your awesome reviews! Perhaps a soprano in red? Hmmmm? Can't wait for Christmas!!

Today we received our custom engraved tenor ukulele from Bonanza. It is a very pretty ukulele (can a grown man say "pretty"), and it sounds nice. It isn't loud...which is partly due to the strings we requested for the instrument. The ukulele will also likely open up more as it ages. The construction of the ukulele is a fantastic innovation.

As I have said before, and said on the video, and will say again...this ukulele doesn't sound like a K brand ukulele or the "quasi" K brand instruments I own. But it doesn't need to. It is a custom built ukulele with custom laser etching/engraving, that sounds good--and is 1/4 the price of a K model, and 1/2 (perhaps more) the cost of my "quasi" K models.

The best way to show it off was to review it on a video...so I show it, play it, sing with it--and then play one of our Caramels in comparison.

Today we received our custom engraved tenor ukulele from Bonanza. It is a very pretty ukulele (can a grown man say "pretty"), and it sounds nice. It isn't loud...which is partly due to the strings we requested for the instrument. The ukulele will also likely open up more as it ages. The construction of the ukulele is a fantastic innovation.

As I have said before, and said on the video, and will say again...this ukulele doesn't sound like a K brand ukulele or the "quasi" K brand instruments I own. But it doesn't need to. It is a custom built ukulele with custom laser etching/engraving, that sounds good--and is 1/4 the price of a K model, and 1/2 (perhaps more) the cost of my "quasi" K models.

The best way to show it off was to review it on a video...so I show it, play it, sing with it--and then play one of our Caramels in comparison.

What a great demo. Sounds and looks good to me. Thanks for sharing! :)

That got there fast.
Yes it is new. As the finish continues to cure and the wood ages the tone will get sweeter. We had fluerocarbon strings on it first and they had more punch.
Great review and playing.
KEEP THE HUMIDITY UP.☺️

I've been enjoy "Noelle", my aspen and cherry concert! I know I told Shelly and Pete I'd have a review/sound sample up this week, but life had other plans.:(
Hopefully I'll have the chance next week as I start back to work tomorrow. She has such a clear bell like voice, I love it!

Life doesn't always cooperate, does it? Glad you are enjoying her. Noelle seems the perfect name for her.

Finally got around to it! Here's my concert uke review!

Just WOW - the looks, the sound, and your playing OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bowdown: :worship:

Auni, that song you played at about half-way in the vid after you gave us the description (before you played Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah), just rings out with such a dulcet crispness and bell-like tone that sounds like it would be absolutely perfect for Campanella for me...

Your video demo has caused a Bonanza uke to move up to the very top of my UAS wishlist, so, yeah, thanks a lot for being such an enabler (something I've been guilty of myself) LOL.

Congrats and best of luck with such a great new instrument! :music:

It seems evident to me that these instruments are truly a labor of love for Pete and Shelley.

All the recent players here on UU seem to love them too :love: I want to be among this group and enjoy this experience as well...

I'm off to their web site and likely will be building up a UAS fund soon so I can place an order - WOO HOO!

Top Bottom