Humidification System

teryg

Reaction score
I had problems with a guitar finish years ago due to lack of humidity, and I want to make sure that does not happen to my ukes. I just got the D'Addario Two-Way Humidification System, which seems about as foolproof as I could find, but I can't figure out how to use it. It seems to be missing a part (the bar that allows you to hang the packs between the strings). It also occurred to me that this system might be too large for my ukes (a baritone I already have and a tenor I hope to own soon).

Have other people used this system? If so, did it come with the bar that allows you to hang the packs between the strings or did you have to purchase that separately. Do you like the system?

If people don't use this, what do you use for humidification?

Most folks on UU seem to use either the Oasis or Herco Uke humidifiers. I dont recall the D'Addario ones being popular.

I myself take a cut piece of foam (not cellulose) sponge and put that in a prescription pill-bottle and then soak it and let the excess drip off, then insert 1 or more of the pill bottles (without the cap) into the uke case. These are usually good for about 12-14 days in a sealed case in the winter to maintain the humidity @ ~52% as per my tests with 2 different humidity monitors INSIDE the case when I was testing these. Ambient ROOM humidity was about 20% at the time last winter, despite running a high-power cool mist humidifier IN THE ROOM 24/7 that put out about 5 gallons over a 24 hr period.

I humidify my whole house which works fairly well to keep Rh above 35% even in the coldest days, but I dont trust it to be steady throughout the day, so the ukes will have to move back into their cag...cases again come winter. I use a humilele in each uke's soundhole, from Music Nomad.

If the ones you're talking about are the little packets, just throw one in your case.

If the ones you're talking about are the little packets, just throw one in your case.

Thanks. Yes, it's the kit that comes with 3 packets. I like it because it seems to handle both conditions where there's too little humidity and conditions where there's too much.

Those are all I use and they work great. If you have a little breathable pouch (buy a bottle of Crown Royal :) those lil pouches would do the trick) Or, they include pouch when you buy the kit ... sounds like you got the refill pack. I just toss one in the case and you're good to go.

Maybe you just got the refill pack only. The whole system (unless it has changed since I got mine) comes with two cloth pouches. One of the pouches hold one of the humidipaks and is supposed to be put under the headstock in the case. The second cloth pouch holds two of the humidipaks, one on each side, and it drapes over the strings then hangs down through the soundhole.
I've never had a pak leak, but I'm careful with them. If they don't leak, you shouldn't have any problems leaving them in without them being in the cloth pouches. That's up to you. The cloth pouches are mesh-like, so they allow the humidity to escape, which is of course important.

You're right about it being a foolproof way to maintain the proper humidity. I used to also put a standard humidifier in the case along with those. If that puts in too much humidity the paks will just suck it up. You'll know over time how much your instrument uses. The paks start to get firm and dry up.

Maybe you just got the refill pack only. The whole system (unless it has changed since I got mine) comes with two cloth pouches. One of the pouches hold one of the humidipaks and is supposed to be put under the headstock in the case. The second cloth pouch holds two of the humidipaks, one on each side, and it drapes over the strings then hangs down through the soundhole.
I've never had a pak leak, but I'm careful with them. If they don't leak, you shouldn't have any problems leaving them in without them being in the cloth pouches. That's up to you. The cloth pouches are mesh-like, so they allow the humidity to escape, which is of course important.

You're right about it being a foolproof way to maintain the proper humidity. I used to also put a standard humidifier in the case along with those. If that puts in too much humidity the paks will just suck it up. You'll know over time how much your instrument uses. The paks start to get firm and dry up.

I found the extra part. It fell out when I opened the box, onto a dark part of my rug. So I was looking right at it. The light finally hit it right.

Top Bottom