Oh crack! -- Ukulele accidents and misfortunes.

Mivo

Reaction score
Let's talk about how you (or someone you liked until then) managed to clumsily damage or outright destroy an unfortunate ukulele entrusted to your care.

It was a little less than a year ago when my soprano (my first one) met its end, and it was death by butt. My butt, unfortunately. Earlier in the day I had been practicing on the bed, and later, when I went to sleep in the dark, I forgot that the ukulele was still sitting there, waiting for my return (which it came to regret). It was dark, and well, crack happened.

It was all rather unlikely. A large bed, a small ukulele, an inbetween butt, and I managed to land myself right on the soundhole. Bull's eye when I wish I had missed. The soundboard was completely destroyed and the instrument was beyond repair. After some mourning, I threw it away, though I felt pretty guilty for having been such an ass to it. I was so ashamed that I neglected to take photos of the victim.

It was a ukuMele mahogany uke, nicely set up and around $250 or so when I had bought it. It could have been worse as most of my other ukes would have been harder to replace, but still, I was pretty upset about it. I liked the thing, it sounded really good, too.

On the bright side, it was a relatively inexpensive lesson in careless butt placement, and it gave me a reason to buy a lovely Black Bear koa soprano, which is an amazing little instrument. My other ukes have lived in fear ever since this accident, but nothing else happened. Knocking on wood, gently.

What about you? Ever lost a ukulele to clumsiness, substance abuse, pets, kids, spouses, butts?

it was death by butt. ... crack happened...I felt pretty guilty for having been such an ass to it.
:biglaugh: I see what u did there. Bwahahaha. :biglaugh:

Butt I am sorry for your loss

I'm too new at this to have done it yet but at a big jam session i went to early on, i brushed passed someone's uke that was casually sitting on a table and it fell to the floor. Yep i was embarassed but good little thing didn't show any sign of injury. The place was a big outdoor drinking lounge with lots of small tables and chairs packed in reasonably close together with lots of people in between. A lot of us ukers were standign about between the tables so it was easy to do this. There were ukes everywhere. the moral of this story is don't leave your uke in a vulnerable position. It's just sometimes too difficult for people to be 100% of their bodies at all times.

Don't leave one in a hot car. I knew of some idiot that did that and the bridge flew off in the case. I'm glad that he was nowhere near it when it happened or he might have a bridge indentation in his forehead.

Figured out who it was yet????? ... :wallbash:

Lesson learned but I have also done some other bizarre things, so I just chock this one up to living...... and lessons learned.
:deadhorse:

Last edited:
That is a story full of 'buns' (probably just me that thinks this could stand in for 'puns) Anyway, I've noticed I write 'anyway' a lot, well, YES, there have been 2 incidences. Sorry about yours BTW ): Couple of years ago I packed the car to go to the annual Lake Ann Ukulele Festival. Was in a bit of a hurry so I asked my girl (then 11 yrs old) to put the ukes in the car. A solid body concert Eleuke and an Ibenez Spalted Maple cut away. Got in the car and as I was backing out heard this weird sound. My then, living daughter, yelled out "THE UKES!". They were in a rolly pack with some other things. She had not put them IN the car, but behind them. I'll admit......I killed her right then.

No, of course I didn't! She's darned lucky to have me as a mom because I actually didn't loose it at all. I mean I thought my head was going to pop when I had to pull the car forward to get the ukes and bag unstuck from under the car. Then I was calm and said "let's just get these inside and I'll check them later". I grabbed another uke and we went on our way and had a great excuse for being late :)

Turned out that the Ibenez was completely trashed. Head stock broken in half, bridge popped off, tuners went flying, neck broke, body crunched. Figured this was totally beyond repair. I think I have pictures somewhere. A friend of mine's husband likes to tinker and I'll be darned if he didn't put it back together and it plays!!! I used to love the sound and feel of this uke. Fast neck, good sound. Just loved it. Now it plays like a beginner uke so it's okay and I loan it out. Too bad you didn't keep yours!

The Eleuke's neck was broken,but not the fretboard I was able to lean it on the corner of a door frame and bend it back into place. Put a couple of band aids where the wood is splintered and it now plays just as good as ever. Ya just have to watch out for splinters! LOL.

The other uke mishap happened after I gave it to a friend....her uncle sat on it!

( )o}==#

Last edited:
Oh, Mivo, I know it wasn't funny, but you managed to have a good sense of humor about it. I know I shouldn't have, but I smiled and giggled reading it.
Two of my cats have each managed to damage a uke. right after I got my Cocobolo, my cat Goofball dragged it off a table while trying to jump up there. It got a small knick on the edge of the top.
Later, our new arrival, Sa'di, managed to do the very same thing to my otherwise spotless Ohana, this time, doing worse damage. The uke is unplayable anyway, but I wanted to make a classy wallhanger out of it. I may still.
I don't place ukes on that table anymore. It had been put there to protect my piano. How friggin' ironic.
I've seen so many people ding and nick their ukes, mostly because they were excited and in a hurry to play.

Due to a few people dinging my ukulele, I now don't let people touch it without permission. And they can't be near anything. No chairs with arms, no nothing. I apparently caused a ruckus (totally unintentionally) when a friend was playing it and HER friend took it out of her hands and started playing it. I took it out of his hands immediately. He got pissed and my friend had to do damage control and I don't think the guy likes me because it. But....excuse me....always ask permission to play someone else's ukulele. Always.

I took my "beater" tenor camping. After a session around the camp-fire I was returning to my tent to put the uke to bed when I tripped on a guy rope and crashed to the ground on top of the uke. Neck broke off. I threw the pieces in the back of the car and was tempted to use them on the next night's fire - but didn't....
Back home and a week later - after ordering a "replacement" beater that was an upgrade, I thought I may as well glue the thing back together.
I used araldite and clamps - then brutally filed the 12th to 18th frets down to get clearance for the rest of the frets; and - bugger me - if she didn't come out o.k.
Funny thing was I didn't realise how much I was attached to her until I "lost" her.

Don't leave one in a hot car. I knew of some idiot that did that and the bridge flew off in the case. I'm glad that he was nowhere near it when it happened or he might have a bridge indentation in his forehead.

Sorry to hear about your accident!

Fortunately, I haven't damaged a uke yet, but I'm very close every day now. I have a new uke at home and the slots at the bridge are quite large. I've been restringing this uke like a mad man trying every string I can think of before I settle on one, and often I can tune the first string up to pitch just fine, but after a few minutes or a few hours with fluorocarbon strings, the knot, no matter how large I make it, manages to squeeze it's way through the slot. I absolutely HATE that feeling! I'm so nervous every time I pick the uke up just waiting for the first string to whip my hand.

I'm a grown man covered in tattoos, I don't know why I'm so afraid of this, it usually doesn't even hurt, but it's seriously freaking me out! I haven't dropped the uke yet when this happens, but I've been very close! I'm going shopping for a proper size bead today or tomorrow, because this can't go on. :p

My son sat on his ukulele's headstock twice (I glued it twice), I dropped another ukulele out of its unzipped gigbag this summer (a loud bang, nothing broken) but I did drop a button accordeon out of an overloaded car once, right on the discant side, making chording and bass playing painfull (for the player, it was already painful for the audience before the mishap).

I'm sorry that I giggled, :) Why don't you use a bead? That will stop it. You wrap the string around the bead and then knot it. Good to go...NO FEAR, lol.

Fortunately, I haven't damaged a uke yet, but I'm very close every day now. I have a new uke at home and the slots at the bridge are quite large. I've been restringing this uke like a mad man trying every string I can think of before I settle on one, and often I can tune the first string up to pitch just fine, but after a few minutes or a few hours with fluorocarbon strings, the knot, no matter how large I make it, manages to squeeze it's way through the slot. I absolutely HATE that feeling! I'm so nervous every time I pick the uke up just waiting for the first string to whip my hand.

I'm a grown man covered in tattoos, I don't know why I'm so afraid of this, it usually doesn't even hurt, but it's seriously freaking me out! I haven't dropped the uke yet when this happens, but I've been very close! I'm going shopping for a proper size bead today or tomorrow, because this can't go on. :p

Last edited:

Beads will do the job as they won't go through the holes. It hasn't happened to me yet, but I've been told that sometimes the beads vibrate against the sound board so be aware of this possibility.

One of the reasons I got a Blackbird was my fear of something happening outside. The concert Ohana that I played before the Clara is a wonderful ukulele, but feels so delicate in my hands. My Clara has taken a few knocks, but no real damage so far. I hope that trend continues. I am now wondering what a kevlar ukulele might sound like?

Anyway, back from the commercial break. A couple of years ago as I was taking out my Kanile'a Concert from it's case, when our Siamese cat decided it was a good time to attack the case. Her timing was purrfect, she hit the top cover of the case and it slammed down on the Kanile'a head stock creating an indentation on otherwise pristine high gloss finish. Battle scars I guess

Are we allowed to tell tales of other instruments in here?

*whistles innocently*

I was gigging with my accordion many years ago, and put it on a low coffee table, which someone - somehow - knocked over. Dent in the outer shell of the instrument, mostly cosmetic, didn't really affect the playing. But taught me a valuable lesson to assume the worst. If not being played, put them back in the case, or somewhere NOBODY can reach ... esp if its a valuable instrument. Don't mean to derail, its a point worth making :)

Not derailing too much this is relevant to ukes :) maybe more than accordions.

Last edited:
I was gigging with my accordion many years ago, and put it on a low coffee table, which someone - somehow - knocked over. Dent in the case, mostly cosmetic, didn't really affect the playing. But taught me a valuable lesson to assume the worst. If not being played, put them back in the case, or somewhere NOBODY can reach ... esp if its a valuable instrument. Don't mean to derail, its a point worth making :)

Not derailing too much this is relevant to ukes :) maybe more than accordions.

I was going to explain that instruments should generally not be used as weapons, at least unless they are in a hard case.

Top Bottom