Resources for jazz ukulele?

Recstar24

Reaction score
I'm approaching 2 years now for ukulele playing and for some weird reason haven't even touched doing jazz on uke! Considering vocal jazz was my primary passion in high school and college and started taking and currently play jazz piano, you would've thought I'd be able to play a song or too:( was just listening to some Lyle ritz and figured better start playing now!

If you've got websites or books to recommend for me, I would appreciate it! I'd love to do that jazz chord melody style stuff, as it's completely different from what I currently play and I think would help broaden my playing.

The Lyle Ritz book, the orange one, is a great place to start. Plus you can use the UU search engine for plenty of info. Enjoy

The Glen Rose website "Jazzy Ukulele" is a good start.
James Hill, Fred Sokolow and Craig Brandau all have books available.

Ryan,
Are you familiar with the Japanese published Jazz books that have been brought up on the forum in the past?
If not, give me a day or two and I will try to find out what they were called. I have a friend who is big into Jazz and plays Jazz guitar and Jazz uke. He has the books and can give me the name, unless someone on the forum can help out before then. I will ask him what other books he can suggest too.

Another vote for Glenn Rose's Jazzy Ukulele and Bossa Nova materials.
He also has some great tutorials on youtube.

Jazz Ukulele - Comping, Soloing, Chord Melodies by Abe Lagrimas, jr.

The Japanese songbooks mentioned by johnson430 are very good. They are sometimes difficult to find and typically need to be ordered direct from Japan. I found them on eBay from a seller in Japan.
Ukulele Jazz by Kiyoshi Kobayashi
Jazz Standard Ukulele by Yosuke Miyajima
Ukulele Swing Jazz by Takashi Nakamura

Check out Lami Jeon's youtube channel for inspiration; she plays many of the arrangements from the Japanese books.

I'm also a fan of Sarah Maisel's music.

Craig Brandau's channel and website are worth checking out and he also has a book, Jazz Chord Solos for Tenor Ukulele.

And here are a few interesting links I've saved from the web:

Jazzy intros and outros on the ukulele

Life's a Ukefrolic (blog) Jazz on the Uke- Great Chord Progression, Three Positions

Jazz Ukulele Chords: ii-V7-l

A favorite video of mine is Abe Lagrimas, jr playing Autumn Leaves

Jazz Standards- Songs with chords, tabs, lyrics and learning tips
Not an ukulele resource but a great jazz resource.

Thanks photoshooter et all! I am starting with the glen rose books, they are great! He has a great way of teaching ii-V-I progressions major and minor without getting too bogged down by theory.

You might also check out Paul Hemmings' stuff. If you haven't heard of him, I think he is one of the best at blending ukulele with other instruments and not leaving it sticking out like sore thumb. He has ebooks on his web site and also offers Skype lessons: http://www.paulhemmings.com/lessons/

Great resource recommendations guys! I too am looking forward to improving my jazz skills on the ukulele.

I can also recommend myself the Abe Lagrimas Jr. book; it's the ideal all around introduction to a lot of jazz playing topics.

PS. Is anyone aware of a good ukulele cover of 'Round Midnight (preferably, already transcribed)?

Damnyg, assuming you mean tab, Arnaud D. has put together a pretty easy ukulele arrangement of the head over at his and Ukulele Dav's website. It would be enough to get you started.

Top Bottom