Microphone for recording?

I quite like Shure's Performance Gear budget range. I use the PG81 condenser to mic up my acoustic instruments and find it fine.

I also have a PG58 (cheaper equivalent of SM58) for vocals. Also surprisingly good.

Oops! I just checked and the PG81 seems to be about £100 these days, so maybe outside budget - sorry. I'm sure mine was £69 about a year ago... :/

Last edited:
I THINK samsung do a mic designed especially for podcasts for around 40 quid. apparently does the job for recording pretty well. i don't know the ins and outs of it but it might be worth checking out?

direct into the computer?

USB mics like the Samson C01U can plug right into the computer. This one is a little more than 50 pounds, more like 74 pounds. Nice clean, clear sound though! Very accurate in tone for both voice and music. I like mine. Plug and play for Mac and PC.

– Lori

I'll chime in on the praise of the Blue Snowball. I've only got the USB one but it's great for what I paid for it. Get the standard one if you have a choice. I didn't realize at the time that you can't use more than one USB mic on the same computer at the same time.

Another satisfied Snowball customer here.

I'm using one in my most recent YouTube video, if you want an example of how the mic sounds.

Vox and uke played right into the thing. Not a drop of EQ or compression was added. (Threw in a smidge o' reverb, but that's it.)

JJ

so a blue snowball eh?
can u guys post some more video's or gimme some links so i can see what it sounds like
cheers
Peace Out!

Love my snowball.

the snowball is on my list.. on a lot of my songs.. i can here a lot of what i would call WHITE noise.. and i think it might be the FAN inside the laptop.. i hope the snowball will fix it.. do you think it will?

the snowball is on my list.. on a lot of my songs.. i can here a lot of what i would call WHITE noise.. and i think it might be the FAN inside the laptop.. i hope the snowball will fix it.. do you think it will?

Any mic should fix that, as long as you position it far enough away from your computer.

Video capture (and subsequent compression) demands some processing power, so the fan always kicks on for me too. You can really hear it in some of my pre-Snowball videos, when I was just using the built-in laptop mic.

JJ

Dominic, that is exactly why I bought mine.

Fixed that and sounds fantastic too.

It's used in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzWhltBIZY8

Any mic should fix that, as long as you position it far enough away from your computer.

Video capture (and subsequent compression) demands some processing power, so the fan always kicks on for me too. You can really hear it in some of my pre-Snowball videos, when I was just using the built-in laptop mic.

JJ

its a lock.. the snowball will be mine.. when i get the 100 to buy it! d

its a lock.. the snowball will be mine.. when i get the 100 to buy it! d

Amazon has 'em right now for $82.86 flat. No tax and free shipping (if you choose "super saver shipping").

:nana:

I was impatient and got mine from my local Guitar Center. They matched the Amazon price, which was cool (but I had to pay the crazy TN sales tax).

JJ

I just picked up a Blue Snowball yesterday. I love it!

I recorded a song while my roomates were gone, and I was playing it back when one od them was in the room, and I started to ask him what he thought of the quality, and he looked over to me quickly, and was confused, because he thought that I was actually playing my uke and singing at the time.

So needless to say, the quality is fantastic with it. :)

My next step is to get a better camera....

So if your looking for a microphone

Are you saying the Blue Snowball..

Is probably the best for price and quality?

If you're looking for a microphone to record things like voice and ukulele into your computer, and if you've got a budget of under $100, and if you don't have (or no longer want to fool with) a separate audio-to-USB interface, then I'd say the Snowball is the way to go.

If you want an all-around condenser mic that can be used with your computer, but also in a studio or live setting, then it's not for you, since it does not use a standard XLR plug. It's USB only.

Likewise, if you already have an audio interface with phantom power, and can use any regular condenser mic, then you might be able to find one that sounds just as good for less money.

But for most of us normal schmoes, who are basically upgrading from our laptop's built-in mic, the Snowball it tough to beat, IMHO.

JJ

Last edited:
Spot on JJ,

I actually bought a mixer, then realized that I was only going to be recording one thing at a time and doing overdubs and that I'd still need to buy a (at least one) microphone...

So I brought the mixer back and got a snowball, was very happy.

I'm not doing ensemble recordings, or live PA-ing or anything fancy.

I'm recording directly into my laptop, and this works great.

Top Bottom