Recommend a 6-string (Lili'u)

merlin666

Reaction score
I enjoy playing my low-G strung Mahogany Tenor, but when we were on Kauai a while ago I saw a performance by Paula Fuga and was intrigued by her sound, which I later figured out was a Kamaka Lili'u. As I also play 12-string guitar I think that an uke like this should be my next instrument. Unfortunately, none of the local stores carry anything in this string configuration so I figure I am asking the experts here if they compared any and which one might provide a good "bang for the buck".

Of course, on top of my list would be the original Kamaka HF-36 Lili'u or a KoAloha Imaikalani which seem to be available from some of the main online shops. But I am not sure if I need such a high end. I also was intrigued by the looks of the Kala ASAC-T6, but don't think that Acacia Confusa is my thing. So I am wondering if I should consider one of the two high end ones (which?) or if there are some budget alternatives that might come close?

The uke that started my journey was a 6 string Lanikai, and I acquired a second on after a couple of years. I bought mine for around $240, and it looks like they are still available at around that price, with a pickup.

Hello I asked myself the same questions and these are my answers
I First bought a 6 strings tenor kala for about 300 bucks to try if I would like this tuning
After a few weeks My conviction was made and I ordered a Kamaka 100th anniversary.
For me but I may be wrong, Lili'u =Kamaka, they have the greatest experience.
Now I am hardly expecting because it is about 3 months to get it here in Europe.
I really think the Lili'u is the right answer for my wishes to play the ukulele.
Good luck to you and keep us informed, very interested to share experiences.

I bought a Pono 6 string a while back from Paradise Ukes on ebay. (used to do setups at Ko'olau) under $300. There's a Kamaka 6 string on ebay starting at $700, but for bang for the buck, if you can live with 8 strings instead of 6 (might as well), then I recommend the newer Ohana 8 string tenor at $289 with a great setup from MIMS. You'd have to pay 2 - 3 times at much to match it.

A six or eight string is not an all around uke and mainly used from strumming/ rhythm playing
It may require a bit more pressure fretting if you have weak or arthritic fingers.
I just saying you won't play it all the time, but it's a great uke to have in your uke arsenal. Happy strummings

Thanks for all the responses. I definitely want a solid wood uke, Koa would be great but my regular tenor is Mahogany and I also like its mellow sound. Now in other threads people mention Ohana, and I think they also have a six string. Is that a brand with good reputation? I think my luthier carries Ohana, so may ask him if he would be willing to stock a 6-string to try.

A six or eight string is not an all around uke and mainly used from strumming/ rhythm playing
It may require a bit more pressure fretting if you have weak or arthritic fingers.
I just saying you won't play it all the time, but it's a great uke to have in your uke arsenal. Happy strummings

Stan is right about this. Still, there's nothing else that sounds like it, and an 8-string isn't the same. I have a KoAloha Imaikalani. It's magical. I tried a few lower end 6-strings while on the Big Island and they didn't sing.

I have both a Kamaka 8 string and KoAloha 6 string for sale the marketplace if you're interested. I will echo others who've said that while the sound is amazing, one of a kind, they never became primary players for me. There are professionals who play 6/8 string as their primary instruments, but they're also amazing singers, so the combo works really well for them. For someone like me who prefers playing instrumental finger-style material, they just never got a ton of personal use (the eight string did sound amazing for a couple of folk songs my group would play).

I also was intrigued by the looks of the Kala ASAC-T6, but don't think that Acacia Confusa is my thing.

You like the looks...acacia looks and sounds a lot like koa for half the price!? But, sounds like you have your heart set on a Hawaiian koa K-brand, so go for it, buy the one on the marketplace!

Top Bottom