300mm disc sander questions

mikeyb2

Reaction score
Just bought one and was wondering what would be the most useful and general purpose grit disc to use. It came with a 60 grit adhesive disc and I'm think 120 might be better. Obviously the self adhesive discs are not going to be changed as different grits are desired.
Alternatively, is it worth changing to a hook and loop system so that different discs can be changed readily, or would accuracy suffer due to the softer nature of the backing. Thanks Mike.

Hi Mike. After a few experiments I settled on 100 grit as the best compromise for the work I do on guitars & ukes using the disc sander. This is mainly squaring off the heel end of neck blanks, squaring/profiling the ends of fingerboards , bridge plates and such like. I haven't tried hook & loop, but my guess is that accuracy could be affected. Changing the stick-on discs when they are worn out isn't much trouble.

find that careful use of a putty knife takes the old discs off without any trouble. I also use 80 grit for my disc, belt and drum sander, but 100 will do the job too.

Bob

Hello Mikeyb2. I have had success using a heat gun. Peel with pliers as you heat, then clean the backer plate with acetone. Replace with the desired grit disc. Very little or no scraping involved. Gary.

thanks everyone, just did it an hour ago. Unfortunately most of the adhesive stayed on the metal disc and not the sandpaper, despite using a hair dryer. Tried acetone,white spirit, methylated spirits, sticky stuff remover without success. Fortunately I found a tin of Evostick adhesive remover at the back of the shelf, which worked well. Still takes a little paience though. I also applied some wax to the surface and buffed off, to aid removal next time, which is a tip I had read about elsewhere. Cheers Mike.

Quote; I also applied some wax to the surface and buffed off, to aid removal next time, which is a tip I had read about elsewhere. Cheers Mike.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if the wax is a good idea as you may find the disk does not adhere properly especially around the edges. Please don't ask how I know this!

Bob

Bob, I did suspect that may be the case, but it seems to have adhered well. I'll keep my eye on the edges, thanks.
Quote; I also applied some wax to the surface and buffed off, to aid removal next time, which is a tip I had read about elsewhere. Cheers Mike.

Not sure if the wax is a good idea as you may find the disk does not adhere properly especially around the edges. Please don't ask how I know this!

Bob[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom