Random Things I've Learned Today

Twibbly

Reaction score
Tacet means "It is silent".

Therefore, if you see it in your music, it means the instrument should be quiet for that portion.

Going to attempt to update this when I learn new things in case somebody else is wondering as well...

Cool.
Yesterday in church our lesson was "Silence", but the minister talked the whole time......
:rolleyes:
What isn't played is as important as what is played.

I learned that four days uke-less can completely screw up something you had down pretty well.

I learned that four days uke-less can completely screw up something you had down pretty well.

This is actually different for me. I noticed when I don't play for a few days, or only little, difficult things become easier. I also found this to be true in Go (board game) where a good way to break through plateaus is to not play for a few days. (Now, weeks is a different issue!)

Thread highjacked!
I think the OP meant Tacit, is Latin for Silent in a piece of music. You don't strum or pick in that measure.
He didn't mean hiatus.
Am I wrong?
(I agree, skipping notes is one thing, but skipping days, that just sucks)

It could be a very long John Cage piece.

Nickie, You're funny.

I was thinking of John Cage too. OP should look him up :)

Thread highjacked!
I think the OP meant Tacit, is Latin for Silent in a piece of music. You don't strum or pick in that measure.
He didn't mean hiatus.
Am I wrong?
(I agree, skipping notes is one thing, but skipping days, that just sucks)

https://www.google.com/search?q=wha...i65l3j69i60.2485j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It was "tacet," but now I can't find where I saw it for the life of me.

I think the hiatus conversation is adding something that someone else learned today. :D

Yes. tacet: indicating that a voice or instrument is silent.
tacit: understood or implied without being stated.

"Uke-less Luis"...kind of catchy. :confused:

"Uke-less Luis"...kind of catchy. :confused:

It sure screws up my progress though. I've been playing Chord Keys, I IV, V7, VI, VII and trying to learn to hear the differences of the degrees in various keys. I had Em down pretty well but after four days I lost the ability to hit the C-D6-B7 cleanly. I try to play the D6 as a passing chord between C and B7, just one strum. Was hitting it pretty well and it sounded really cool, but!!! I need ot practice more and forum less.:p

I can play the beginner chords (F, C, G7, G, etc.) just fine with a wrist brace on without making my wrist too aggravated with me.

I cannot play bar chords or some of the more "involved" chords.

This reminds me of a joke about a jazz trumpeter who got drafted to play in a symphony orchestra. He did well in the first movement of the piece, but in the second movement, which didn't call for trumpet, he spent the whole movement improvising wildly.

Asked about it later, he said, "it said tacet - so I took it"

Cynthia's teaching style is very good and clear. The problem I had with her songs in the end is that the key she sings in is too high for me so I stopped following her. Perhaps i should have continued and just changed the chords later on.

Cynthia's teaching style is very good and clear. The problem I had with her songs in the end is that the key she sings in is too high for me so I stopped following her. Perhaps i should have continued and just changed the chords later on.

I like Cynthia too. She helped my a lot in the beginning. You could try playing her C6 chord forms on a baritone (G tuned uke). It works for me and then I just learned the names for the bari-forms. Get a Key chord chart and it will allow you to transpose easily, if you don't have a bari to play with.

Top Bottom