Talking about new designs and ukes...PONO OHIA TENOR UKULELE CLIP

ahh Low G... Love it!. very nice! man this UAS is kicking me in the butt!

wow! That sounds incredible. Its like a mellow koa.(that could be due to the low G). and it looks great too. pery pretty.

do you think they would ever make it with a gloss finish?

That's a GREAT Idea using a readily available indigenous Hawaiian wood in the Pono line up to replace the Pono Koa ukulele. Ohia is harder than Koa so surprised how nice is sounds. $299 for a real solid native wood tenor is a steal, I was excited about the Ohai but this is much more desirable in my opinion. I better start saving. :D

Pono 'Ohai Series

That's a GREAT Idea using a readily available indigenous Hawaiian wood in the Pono line up to replace the Pono Koa ukulele. Ohia is harder than Koa so surprised how nice is sounds. $299 for a real solid native wood tenor is a steal, I was excited about the Ohai but this is much more desirable in my opinion. I better start saving. :D

Good observation. That would be surprising if 'Ohia sounded that good. Actually, it's 'Ohai. Also, 'Ohia is not nearly as pretty a 'Ohai. Some info being sent on forums is that the new wood is 'Ohia. So, here is a slight clarification on the new Pono 'Ohai Series. The tree is 'Ohai, a big beautiful umbrella looking tree. The spelling of the two trees is so similar that there has been some confusion. Switching the i and the a makes it a completely different tree. 'Ohia, often used for wood flooring, is much more dense and heavy than 'Ohai. 'Ohai is actually very similar in appearance, weight, and density to Koa, but a little closer in weight to mahogany, which is why it is proving to be an excellent ukulele tone wood (even guitar makers are using it now). And most important is that 'Ohai, or in some countries called the Rain Tree, is much more plentiful and not endangered by exploitation.

Last edited:
OP was a typo, not Ohia but Ohai? Got all excited for nothing. :rolleyes:
Back in the 60s and 70s Ohia posts were popular in the building trade adding a rustic natural look to porches, etc. Used to hunt Wild Boar in the Ohia forests of Laupahoehoe many years ago, I have a soft spot for Ohia. Real native Ohai is an endangered species but introduced Haole Ohai aka Monkey Pod is very common but can be very striking in color and grain.

OP was a typo, not Ohia but Ohai? Got all excited for nothing. :rolleyes:
Back in the 60s and 70s Ohia posts were popular in the building trade adding a rustic natural look to porches, etc. Used to hunt Wild Boar in the Ohia forests of Laupahoehoe many years ago, I have a soft spot for Ohia. Real native Ohai is an endangered species but introduced Haole Ohai aka Monkey Pod is very common but can be very striking in color and grain.

So there is something called OhIA? I just thought that was a typo for OhAI.

Top Bottom