PDA

View Full Version : They're Everywhere!

SailQwest
04-16-2009, 11:28 AM
I just got the new Land's End Swim 2009 Catalog, and the pp 4-5 layout has 3 shots with ukuleles! Does this mean they're becoming mainstream?!?

Link
04-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Haha, yes definitely. I went to an open mic on Saturday and there was a guy with a uke. He did the Fresh Prince theme song. I was so shocked to see another uke player there.

The ukes are taking ovah!

deach
04-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Unfortunately yes. I liked it when "Ukulele Underground" meant something obscure. Mainstream is boring.

TheWannabe90
04-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Well start your own website... "Electric Triangle Underground"
I'll be your first member :)

generem
04-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Unfortunately yes. I liked it when "Ukulele Underground" meant something obscure. Mainstream is boring.

2nd this... then it becomes a Fad

nikolo727
04-16-2009, 12:00 PM

Yeah I agree. Its cool that ukulele is getting popular, theres no doubt about that, I just want to be the only kid in my side of the state that plays ukulele :D. So far Im doing pretty well.

Ukulele JJ
04-16-2009, 01:29 PM

I'm off to register www.ukuleleoverground.com before anyone else does...

JJ

Link
04-16-2009, 01:32 PM
I don't share that mindset. The more the merrier! I would love to one day find 3-4 peeps nearby to jam ukezz with.

IamRobbyah
04-16-2009, 01:35 PM
2nd this... then it becomes a Fad

+3... you'll find a uke everywhere you look here in the bay.

SnakeOiler
04-16-2009, 01:43 PM

I'm with you D.

Captain Google
04-16-2009, 02:20 PM
I don't share that mindset. The more the merrier! I would love to one day find 3-4 peeps nearby to jam ukezz with.

I'm with Link.

You squares just don't get it. :cool:

Ahnko Honu
04-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Better get more exclusive.

I'm starting the PLA

Pineapple Liberation Army :D

deach
04-16-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm with Link.

You squares just don't get it. :cool:

If ukes get to be as popular as guitars, I'll be happy to be a square.

Ahnko Honu
04-16-2009, 02:44 PM
If ukes get to be as popular as guitars, I'll be happy to be a square.

I'd rather be oval like a pineapple ukulele.

deach
04-16-2009, 02:46 PM
I'd rather be oval like a pineapple ukulele.

I'm round like a bass drum.

SnakeOiler
04-16-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm shaped like an F hole...

deach
04-16-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm shaped like an F hole...

lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason Paul
04-16-2009, 03:14 PM
My wife was just watching Samantha Who?, and her ex-boyfriend (who she lives with) was playing a Fluke. Literally 15 minutes ago.

Jason

lacerveza
04-16-2009, 04:16 PM
uke popularity might be the case in the us but in england your lucky to meet anyone who knows what a uke is (i hear the term toy guitar pretty much everyday)

lacerveza
04-16-2009, 04:19 PM
by the way deach your pink crown looks a bit dull today, i think it needs a polish.

lacerveza
04-16-2009, 04:28 PM
i think on one hand the whole concept of uu is that we want as many people as possible to pick up a uke so they can share our experience but on the other hand i dont want it to get like guitarists, if you sit in a room full guitarists it becomes a competition but if you sit in a room full of uke players it becomes a love-in,two strings make a difference.

carpekd
04-16-2009, 04:32 PM
I like sitting sidestream with my toy guitar

Craig
04-16-2009, 04:57 PM

That's what happens.... They find something obscure and cool and then make it into a marketing tool...to make money.... Then, it dies and is no longer cool. I mean, the ukulele fad, not UUG.... I'm in for the long haul...:music:

smgold101
04-16-2009, 06:58 PM
I blame Aldrine...If he didnt make it so easy to learn then we wouldnt have this problem...Thanks a lot Aldrine ya big jerk

Spooner
04-16-2009, 07:02 PM
If everyone on the planet played the ukulele the world would be a better place.

(and the aliens might come out and play with us)

lacerveza
04-17-2009, 03:43 AM
I blame Aldrine...If he didnt make it so easy to learn then we wouldnt have this problem...Thanks a lot Aldrine ya big jerk

yeah aldrine how dare you teach us

UKISOCIETY
04-17-2009, 04:10 AM
by the way deach your pink crown looks a bit dull today, i think it needs a polish.

Now that's a euphemism if I ever saw one! :eek:

UKISOCIETY
04-17-2009, 04:12 AM
The thing about fads, though, is that they last maybe 5 years. Then back to the underground.

....and when the fad is over, there are a lot of people who are ignorant about their ukes they never played selling them for cheap!!!:D

ukeshale
04-17-2009, 04:15 AM
The thing about fads, though, is that they last maybe 5 years. Then back to the underground.

....and when the fad is over, there are a lot of people who are ignorant about their ukes they never played selling them for cheap!!!:D

oh yeah. i'll be gettin me a pineapple sunday for a 39.99 'buy now' price in due time :D give it 5 or 6 years...

hoosierhiver
04-17-2009, 04:20 AM
I'm with Spooner, Deach and Link, ukes can change the world.
Everybody should play one.

Captain Google
04-17-2009, 04:27 AM
I'm with Spooner, Deach and Link, ukes can change the world.
Everybody should play one.

That's nice and all, but... my name's not Deach. ;)

cloudswinger
04-17-2009, 05:08 AM
oh yeah. i'll be gettin me a pineapple sunday for a 39.99 'buy now' price in due time :D give it 5 or 6 years...

It'll more likely be one of those cheap chinese ukes starting at .99. All the fad type people are the people buying the entry level chinese ukes.

UKISOCIETY
04-17-2009, 05:41 AM
It'll more likely be one of those cheap chinese ukes starting at .99. All the fad type people are the people buying the entry level chinese ukes.

I disagree. When I got interesting in biking, I did some research, looked for the coolest looking racer and bought a Cannondale. Then rode it about 5 times. :D

bt93
04-17-2009, 05:51 AM
i think ukes should not go mainstream, because then they will not be so unique. i like it when people give me a strange stare, while looking at the mini guitar.

Ukulele JJ
04-17-2009, 08:00 AM
I disagree. When I got interesting in biking, I did some research, looked for the coolest looking racer and bought a Cannondale. Then rode it about 5 times. :D

A Hoosier on a racing bike... Was this right about the time "Breaking Away" came out? :p

JJ

UKISOCIETY
04-17-2009, 08:06 AM
A Hoosier on a racing bike... Was this right about the time "Breaking Away" came out? :p

JJ

Naw, I lived in Kentucky at the time. Needed the bike to out-race gummit agents while making moonshine deliveries!:D

Link
04-17-2009, 08:17 AM

Haha, I wish! But musical instrument 'fads' usually last for a century or more... 35$ Pineapple Sundays only available at Baskin Robbins

UKISOCIETY
04-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Haha, I wish! But musical instrument 'fads' usually last for a century or more... :( No $35 Pinapple Sundays or Sceptres.

So the uke fad from the 1920's is still going on? :rolleyes:

khrome
04-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Well start your own website... "Electric Triangle Underground"
I'll be your first member :)

Come join my site! Cowbell Underground.

I have a feeling people might pick it up for a while but not stick with it. I don't want it to get trendy and mainstream either but I would like people to start thinking of it as a serious instrument and not as just a comedic prop.

UKISOCIETY
04-17-2009, 08:26 AM
So the uke fad from the 1920's is still going on? :rolleyes:

2003 Skidoo!

Link
04-17-2009, 08:31 AM
No, but this time we don't have tiny tim to ruin it. Just you and deach.

UKISOCIETY
04-17-2009, 08:33 AM
No, but this time we don't have tiny tim to ruin it. Just you and deach.

Since Deach actually found something of substance to do today, allow me to LOLLLzzzz for him.:D

tryan
04-17-2009, 09:27 AM
that actually deserved a voice over:

[low voice from offstage] Today the role of Deach will be played by Ukisociety.

followed by polite clapping and a barely noticeable air of disappointment. :D

UKISOCIETY
04-17-2009, 09:32 AM
that actually deserved a voice over:

[low voice from offstage] Today the role of Deach will be played by Ukisociety.

followed by polite clapping and a barely noticeable air of disappointment. :D

I like to think it's like when Bernstein had to replace Bruno Walter at the last minute.

He never looked back! :cool:

tryan
04-17-2009, 09:37 AM
I like to think it's like when Bernstein had to replace Bruno Walter at the last minute.

He never looked back! :cool:

so you're Lou Gehrig to Deach's Wally Pipp? you're the Iron Uke!

josuegroundhog
04-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Honestly I'm only here because the Stryper fad finally dwindled. I'll be selling barely worn bumblebee lycra body suits on ebay for way cheap.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x79/pixvirtual/im/162/Stryper.jpg?t=1239997684

Link
04-17-2009, 09:56 AM
You guys are so terrible... hahaha

AcousticMonster
04-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Move on up to frozen South Dakota with me. As far as I know, I'm the only guy playing ukulele regularly on stage (each week). I love it when people tell me they thought I would be playing Tiny Tim/Bubbles. Then they hear my Blondie!

:D

TheWannabe90
04-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Come join my site! Cowbell Underground.

I have a feeling people might pick it up for a while but not stick with it. I don't want it to get trendy and mainstream either but I would like people to start thinking of it as a serious instrument and not as just a comedic prop.
LOL, where do I join? :)

lacerveza
04-17-2009, 11:33 AM

yeah give it a couple of years and we will be able to buy tesco blue stripe uke,s

liquid_wind
04-17-2009, 11:46 AM

I'm glad to see this, I like that the ukulele is a.. how do I put it underground following being unique seems to be part of the experience. But on the other hand in the midwest there are guitar shops/lessons everywhere, even a Specialty shop 0.1 miles from my house. And It's a great honest store, I've gone in there a few time thinking I need to buy somethingand they've sent me out with a free solution. The environment in there is nothing like the "Guiter jerks" you have been speaking about a bunch of cool people with different genre interests, but one main interest, The Guitar.

I still think being different is worth it though.

MisoHappy
04-17-2009, 01:36 PM
I died when you said Land's End

My mom got a couple days ago and showed it to me :D

Tsani
04-18-2009, 03:57 AM
As has been noted, this has happened before. There was a wave in the 20's, there was another wave in the 50's and 60's. It is time for the next wave.

Here is how we use the wave.

Each wave produces some virtuosos. There will be some excellent music and a lot of trash. Make the wave work by lifting up the community. Point toward the excellence. The more we create exposure for people who play really well, and the more people begin to think of the ukulele as an instrument that can make excellent music, the more we push the ukulele and ukulele music toward a higher plane.

The virtuosos are already here, and more are coming. IZ and John King have made contributions that have changed the paradigm and opened a lot of eyes. Jake is making new uku fans every time he plays. People watch Jake and Herb Ohta, and Tony Fernandez and they can't believe such dazzling virtuosity can be associated with this instrument. There are many others.

U-tube is turning the whole phenomenon viral.

Every time we make the decision to be better, to practice harder, to try something more challenging, we lift up the community.

Just celebrate what we do. Tell your friends about great performances you have seen.

Let it spread, and lift it up. :shaka:

Tsani
04-18-2009, 04:12 AM
I don't think we should be concerned about the ukulele becoming a popular fad.

Yeah, it's happening. So be it.

That does not de-legitimize the good work that is happening.

The guitar became a fad too. Every kid on the planet tried to pick up the guitar from the late 60's onward. Most of them played abominably. Me included. That did not change the fact that excellent guitar music was produced and the guitar became an instrument that was associated with excellence and virtuosity.

It was not always so. Who took the guitar seriously at the beginning of the 1900s? Yeah, some classical and baroque was written for it but not that much.

Since then we have had Andres Segovia and Christopher Parkening, we have had Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page and Chet Atkins.

The ten million people who play the guitar poorly do not detract from the excellence of those who play well.

It will be so with the ukulele.