5 string experiment question

rar jungle

Reaction score
I have a concert ukulele that I have strung up with "high d" baritone tuning, using all fluorocarbon strings. So dGBE. I am trying to get a little bit of more traditional high sound so I have tried different tunings, including dgBE and dGbE. Anyways, I've come to the conclusion the best idea might be to have it dGgBE, and I am preparing to cut an exra notch in the nut and and extra hole in the bridge, and pop in an extra machine head. If this is not too stupid of an idea, can anyone please advise the distance I should make the G and g string apart? The G and g will be in a course (close together, to played at the same time). I was guessing about a millimeter or 2 at the most. Thanks!

From memory, when I made a taropatch I spaced the courses 1.5mm centre to centre at the nut and 2mm at the bridge.

But, unless you plan to readjust all the string slots at the nut (except the outer two) this might not be a good idea. Your doubled Gg course will be offset to one side or the other, which will make playing very challenging. And the only way I can see you getting a comfortable string spacing at the bridge is to make a new, slotted saddle.

Thanks for the info. I did it about that amount, and it works great. I ended up making it a 6 string. I filled in the number 2 nut slot with super glue and then cut new slots on either side of the old slot, this gave me about 1.5 mm. Then for the 3rd string I was able to leave the original slot, and just add one new slot next to it. All the string courses ended up equidistant luckily. On the bridge I added holes all the way through the bridge into the body and strung it from the inside so I could adjust the spacing down there.

Top Bottom