C-String buzz with nylon strings

mwaller

Reaction score
I've tried about 4 different monfilament C-strings on my LoPrinzi tenor, and they all buzz on certain notes (2nd fret, usually).
The only C-string that doesn't buzz is a wound C from Aquila.
Buzzing seems to come from the bridge/saddle area. Is there anything that can be done about this?
I recently sent the uke to LoPrinzi to have the fingerboard radiused and the action adjusted. The buzz was there before, and it's still there. Internal braces are all tight. Any thoughts? Could the bridge contour have something to do with it?
Mika

The bigger the string diameter, the greater the arc it makes when strummed, therefore it needs more clearance above the frets than the other strings. The wound C is narrower than the plain C. If it only buzzes when the second fret is fingered, the 3ed fret may be a bit high. If not, you may need to simply raise the action back up. Either that or get used to the wound C if you are set on Aquilas. You might also try some higher tension strings. I have found Hilo string to be good in that respect.
BTW, the source of buzzes can be enigmatic. Like a leaking roof, the origin can be a lot further away than you think. So make sure you also check the usual culprits, pickup and tuner hardware, string tails,etc.

Did you mention it when you sent it to them?

Yes, I did. I had LoPrinzi string up the instrument with Worth strings. The buzz was very slight with the Worths. It's a little worse with Aquila and Ko'olau monofilaments strings. Bushman strings were the worst as far as buzz goes. Probably has to do with their light tension.

Thanks,
Mika

went to restring my old kai-lai w/ new Koolau low g and found out why she had a wound c on her...ended up putting back on the wound c and the buzz was gone...all the other strings were just fine...who would have thunk!!

Yes, I did. I had LoPrinzi string up the instrument with Worth strings. The buzz was very slight with the Worths. It's a little worse with Aquila and Ko'olau monofilaments strings. Bushman strings were the worst as far as buzz goes. Probably has to do with their light tension.

Thanks,
Mika

Why on earth wouldn't they fix the buzz. Thats a problem they should not put up with.

I know this is an old thread but I'm sure lots of people have this issue.

Yeah, I agree that the C string is the largest diameter string and floppiest so needs the most clearance...If it's barely noticeable and only when you pick or strum hard, it's manageable. Other fix is to get a new saddle and increase action.

Aloha Mika,
I'd call Loprinzi back and tell them the issue on the buzzing is still there....without holding the uke it would be hard...could be alot of culprits..Good Luck..
A thinner set of strings might work, giving more clearance...like chuck previously said...or a high fret or nut issues...saddle? MM Stan

Top Bottom