D'Addario Titanium & Ko'olau Alohi

maxmax

Reaction score
Hi Gang!

So these are the same strings, right? At least they get the exact same product description. I notice however that the Titanium strings are much heavier in gauges, throughout the sizes. Just wondering if anyone can either tell me that I'm right, or that they in fact are different and have different densities? Just surprises me how much thicker the Titaniums are.

Many thanks in advance!
Max

Hi Gang!

So these are the same strings, right? At least they get the exact same product description. I notice however that the Titanium strings are much heavier in gauges, throughout the sizes. Just wondering if anyone can either tell me that I'm right, or that they in fact are different and have different densities? Just surprises me how much thicker the Titaniums are.

Many thanks in advance!
Max

Different scale length strings have different gauges, and you have not specified the scale you are looking at.

D'Addario lists the gauges on all string packages along with tension for each string, and total tension for the whole set, as WELL AS on their web site.

Go here: http://daddario.com/DADProductFamily.Page?ActiveID=3768&familyid=37&productname=Pro_Art_Titanium and click on FAMILY TENSION CHART.

I cannot find anywhere that lists any details at all for the Alohi strings, and as such have never bought nor tried them.

Thanks!

The Titanium gauges for soprano are:

A - 0.028
E - 0.033
C - 0.040
G - 0.029

The Alohi gauges for soprano are:

A - 0.026
E - 0.032
C - 0.036
G - 0.028

Right now I'm sporting the Alohi concert set on my soprano, which are in-between these two in gauges. They are nice, but I feel like they are a little too stiff, causing a bit too much string noise, even though the strings themselves are very smooth and quiet. Just wondering if it was worth trying a set of the Alohi soprano strings, or if the Titaniums might in fact be a softer string material.

Cheers,
Max

Not sure if anyone apart from myself was interested in this, but if someone is, I learned that they are indeed the same strings but in different gauges. D'Addario makes them both. Also, the Pro-Arté Custom Extruded are the same as the Mahana strings, but again they have chosen different gauges.

Now if I have someones attention, can I ask of your experience with the Custom Extruded or Mahana strings? I just put a set of them on and they are definitely the right strings for this particular uke. The only thing I don't like is that they have some texture to them which causes string noise. Does this settle down after having been played in for a while?

Many thanks again,
Max

Same material, same factory, slightly different specs, but I don't notice a difference. Couldn't believe I was buying strings from Hawaii that were actually made 15 minutes away from me on Long Island.

Lol, wonder if they were at least shipped to Hawaii fo the packaging. In that case they might have brought some aloha back with them!

Same material, same factory, slightly different specs, but I don't notice a difference. Couldn't believe I was buying strings from Hawaii that were actually made 15 minutes away from me on Long Island.

That's ironic! There aren't that many string manufacturers. So a lot of the strings are made in the same factories.

Top Bottom