Binding radius

Timbuck

Reaction score
I was wondering how others radius the corner on binding .. I use a file, scraper, and sand paper,..is there a tool that can make this job easier?

Fine needle file and sometimes sandpaper wrapper around a soft eraser. It's pretty quick as long as you don't fuss too much.
You can do a 45 degree facet and it looks perfectly fine, crisp. Good for simple wipe on/off low gloss finishes, otherwise high gloss and rubbing down will lose that detail.

I've tried everything including radius bits in a router but always come back to scraper and sand-paper. Tommy my assistant uses a sanding stick - he might just as well use a file...I really don't think there is another way.

I use them for brace radiating for which they perform brilliantly but must be kept sharp. Never thought of using them for the edges.... and yes, they are very easy to mess up. The design is quite critical.

I use them for brace radiating for which they perform brilliantly but must be kept sharp. Never thought of using them for the edges.... and yes, they are very easy to mess up. The design is quite critical.
I see that they are in stock at Axminster Tools here in the UK http://www.axminster.co.uk/veritas-cornering-tool-kit-510441 so I ordered a set.. For bracing ? I never thought of that..Good idea.
By the way Pete where are you now ? according to your program you should be in Saskatchewan visiting David Freeman.

Last edited:
In Saskatoon preparing to fly to the west coast to visit Les Stansell. Meeting with David very useful.

I just want to make sure, so I can learn, are you discussing the inside corner radius for relief which would yield a better fit, or the outside radius for the looks and comfort?

I just want to make sure, so I can learn, are you discussing the inside corner radius for relief which would yield a better fit, or the outside radius for the looks and comfort?
I'm refering to the the sharp edge on the binding I prefer it rounded off like this...This is not one of mine by the way ;) it's just an example I found in "Images"

Last edited:
Aight, I guessed as much. That radius makes a world of a difference in terms of playing comfort. When playing my KoAloha or my Timms :))), I can play for a looong time on them before I feel any discomfort, whereas with my Kala, I get some pain (granted, it's not the end of the world) and pressure marks on my underarm pretty much after a minute or two.

But, does anyone radius the INSIDE corner that sits in the binding channel? This is common practice in metalwork and engineering to get a better fit, since you can never get a perfectly square cut. I'm only talking about a radius of maybe 0.5mm or so here btw.

Last edited:
I use sandpaper on the finger joint and go 150 to 220 to 320. I love this part of building as it is very sensual to me. It also means we are getting close to being done. Takes a surprisingly long time for such a simple operation. I go slow and enjoy the process. Picture below of some koa binding profiled before sand out, clean-up and polish.

PS: What the hell is that stuff under the fretboard anyway? Nothing like close-up photography to show flaws. Gonna have to clean that up.

DSCN7152.jpg

But, does anyone radius the INSIDE corner that sits in the binding channel? This is common practice in metalwork and engineering to get a better fit, since you can never get a perfectly square cut. I'm only talking about a radius of maybe 0.5mm or so here btw.
Yes I do that as well ..and on the nut.

Thanks for the replies everyone, good to know I had the right idea :).

I've been doing the radius with the scraper and sandpaper but this thread got me to thinking about grinding a radius in a lathe tool and trying it like a scraper. I think it would work and I'll know this afternoon.

Top Bottom