Hall of Fame Uke Videos...

UkieOkie

Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I would like your help. I am teaching an Intro to Uke class for our Home School Co-op. At the beginning of each class, to get the kids excited, I am going to show a short YouTube video of a great or interesting Ukulele performance. The first one I am doing this Monday will be the old Roy Smeck one where the talent agent kind of forces his way in and has Roy play for the Lady in charge. After that we will have eleven more classes.

What are your suggestions for "Hall of Fame" type videos to motivate the students?

Thanks in advance.

Happy Strumming,

Trevor

If you are teaching kids, stay main stream, not nostalgia. Americas got talent just has a 12 year old, Grace VandeerWal (Sp?) that played the uke and sang a hellova good song. Her and groups like Walking Off the Earth will motivate more than Jake or Roy to a youth (IMHO)

I agree with Flynn, and would also go for modern videos instead of classic ones, especially those featuring other kids of roughly the same age. Children relate much better to other kids than they do to adults. That Roy Smeck video you mentioned it, I love it as a ukulele enthusiast, but when I show it to adult friends, few of them displayed any interest. Now, new videos of every day people, those always seem to get attention.

James Hill's version of Billie Jean (Michael Jackson)

Thank you all and please keep suggestions coming. I should have mentioned its a widely mixed age class. Youngest is seven and the oldest kid is 16. We also have one adult. I will definitely be showing some vids of young ones, but I also want, in addition to motivation, some history thrown in. Thanks again.

I don't know your audience, but 2 that are "hall of famers" are Iz's Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and Jake's While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I'm not sure if either are appropriate, but those are 2 that many people with no interest in ukulele have enjoyed.

How about something from Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain? That gives you a wide variety of musical choices, and an entertaining presentation.

My kids really enjoyed "Our Sergeant Major" by George Formby. Also, Orange Blossom Special by Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain.

I would do one of Tamaine Gardner's live performances such as this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yZfTqm4HnY

Like the Jake in Central Park video, it is open and natural and knock your socks off good. The fact that both of them look so young may make it even more appealing to your target audience.

If you are teaching kids, stay main stream, not nostalgia. Americas got talent just has a 12 year old, Grace VandeerWal (Sp?) that played the uke and sang a hellova good song. Her and groups like Walking Off the Earth will motivate more than Jake or Roy to a youth (IMHO)
I agree with this completely. I don't know any kids who would go for the older stuff. I'm sure there's an exception out there somewhere, but it's rare.

There's also a band called Twenty One Pilots that have several acoustic only videos where it is just the lead singer and an uke. I kept hearing things about this band, and caught a few of their songs on the radio, but had no idea of the uke until I saw it on youtube. I think the songs are better that way. They seem to be very popular amongst the college crowd and on down. Here's one from them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBL005t15Kc
and another, with a bit more complex playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZoR-a0e5gU
Also Vance Joy. Although, most who listen to popular music will know of these already.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I would do one of Tamaine Gardner's live performances such as this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yZfTqm4HnY

Like the Jake in Central Park video, it is open and natural and knock your socks off good. The fact that both of them look so young may make it even more appealing to your target audience.

I love Tremain, she makes the Ukulele a serious instrument. Jake and James Hill are good and fine but she is the top to me. I just can't stop listening to her music.

Top Bottom