Pono decision to be made

Steve in Kent

Reaction score
Hi guys,

In a bit of a quandary here.

I want to buy a tenor Pono and I'm torn between two that are at about the same price.

It's between an older pro-classic RTSH, which is cedar top and rosewood body, (the one with the purfling join at the back), and the new ATDC, which is all solid acacia.

So do I go for the newer Pono which I have read sound better than the older lines, or go for the older pro-classic?

My own leaning is to go for the 2nd hand pro-classic, I can always sell it on at not much financial loss.

I'd go for the older RTSH. The acacia model would sound like a hundred other acacia ukes....a little nicer maybe, but still. Just my thinking on the matter.

I agree. Occasionally you get a really nice Acacia, but they do not distinguish themselves to me.

It depends on how old that Pono is. Different offshore manufacturers were used over the years. Java , then China, now back to Indonesia. I definitely think that the current ones are the best built, followed closely by the ones from China. I've had Ponos from all 3 places.

Can you try/play the used one first?

It depends on how old that Pono is. Different offshore manufacturers were used over the years. Java , then China, now back to Indonesia. I definitely think that the current ones are the best built, followed closely by the ones from China. I've had Ponos from all 3 places.

Can you try/play the used one first?

+1 with Hodge

I think the Pro Classics from the last 3 years or so and made in Indonesia have tremendous quality.

Also, I owned an RTSH Cedar top because to my ear I wanted more sparkle and sustain so I bought a RTSH Spruce top. Much more preferred to my ear.

I had an Indonesian solid acacia Pono which I found kind of dull, though well built. I remember thinking at the time that I wished it had a cedar or spruce top.

I had an Indonesian solid acacia Pono which I found kind of dull, though well built. I remember thinking at the time that I wished it had a cedar or spruce top.

Dull is a good word. So is muted and lacking harmonic colour and sustain. A friend had one of theses and sold it.

Stick with a rosewood back and a cedar or spruce top.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread.
Was this the gloss version? I have owned a satin and gloss finished Pono and I found the satin finished sounded better to me.
Has anyone else had this experience?
Or perhaps I am just a fan of satin finishes.

Top Bottom