Teaching Ukulele: Ideas, tips, examples....

shalomjj

Reaction score
Hi fellow Ukers! I am planning on starting to teach Ukulele in the community I live. I thought I'd start this thread for people to share from experience and also ask questions. I would like to hear what format experienced teachers are using (single student, group lessons, etc) as well as what you charge in tuition. Also, what methods are you using and any other resources on the topic. Thanks!! Jason :D

I currently teach ukulele through the Parks and Recreation Dept of a local city.

I use the Practice Sheets in my Ukulele Boot Camp materials (see link below, and please feel
free to use them as well :) )

I'll be teaching 2 courses over the next 15 weeks, a Basics Course twice (2 x 5 weeks each, Sept and Oct),
then an Intermediate Course for the last 5 weeks (Nov-Dec).

Basics = Ukulele Boot Camp, becoming familiar with the chords of 5 popular keys (C, F, G, A, D) to prepare
students to become members of local song circle groups.

Intermediate = delving into Transposing and Beginning Fingerpicking (TAB, etc)

I use Josh Kauffman's TED talk (on YouTube) about 'the first 20 hours' to encourage beginning students to work at it for
at least the first 20 hours :)

keep uke'in',

Thanks! What do you charge for your courses? I live in Ohio so I know my rates might be different but it would give me an idea :)

So, what are people charging for classes? Any examples?

because I teach through the local Parks and Recreation Dept, they set the fee schedule and give me a percentage.

I could probably make more if I did it myself, but then I'd have to do all the work as well as finding/funding a place
to hold the classes.

right now, this works for me. All I have to do is show up and teach the classes. about 3-4 times per year I need to
update the course descriptions, mostly in terms of the dates of the classes :)

Sorry I don't have specifics. :(

keep uke'in',

I think we all might be called upon to teach someone ukulele at some point, so this info is very helpful.

Regarding the cost of lessons, a local shop near me has a beginner ukulele course. They meet once a week for 2 hours, over 6 weeks, for $80. The flyer says, "Learn 20 chords and 20 songs in 6 weeks."

I also believe I paid $69 at local community college for a beginner class that met 5 times for an hour and a half each session. It was led by a guitar guy who had a guitar class right before the ukulele class. He put down his guitar, picked up a uke and the class started. He provided some hand-outs, taught us to fingerpick La Cucaracha, and basically led a play-along.

No complaints, but he pretty much just told us simple ukulele people to learn as we play. lol

Thanks for all the input. Uncle Rod, do you put together your own lessons for the classes? I'm thinking of doing that. About how many students do your normally have in a class?

Top Bottom