Who uses a pick to play uke?

shalomjj

Reaction score
Hi! I love playing uke and have found that I really like using a light pick to play it for both strumming and picking out songs. I even am learning tremolo on it. I know most uke players favor using the fingers only, but was wondering if any serious players out there also use a pick? :)

I doubt I qualify as "serious," but I use a pick all the time.

I occasionally use one, but only for picking melodies. I've tried felt, leather, and plastic picks, and find that I prefer a small plastic one.

Ernie Ball thumb pick, sometimes, especially for tremolo (or when my thumb nail breaks off, which happens a couple times a year!). I file the pick down and shape it in a way that I find works best for me - more rounded and less pointy than off the shelf.

I started to use a pick because I was used to it from the steel string guitar, but soon learned to use my fore finger with the nail at 90 degrees to the strings. I find that I have more control and can modulate the volume better that way. I may be wrong, but I'm having a lot of fun.

I use Dunlop nylons for melody picking, a 0.60 mostly, but an 0.73 on my baritone. I have used thinner picks, especially on a soprano, but with practice I've found I prefer the tone from a thicker pick ... that may change ;)

I use a felt pick, specifically a "Jumping Cow" artificial felt pick for strumming sometimes. I've tried other felt picks but they've all been too hard, this one's almost "floppy" !?!

I do also finger-pick with nails, with greater or lesser success, and thoroughly enjoy a good claw-hammer session when the mood takes me, again with nails.

It might be suggested that the only thing I don't do on the ukulele is play it "traditionally", strumming with the tip of the forefinger.

I enjoy myself :music:

I often saw players with a pick when they play outside, in the street or on stage

I use a pick when strumming in a group, just to save my finger nails for more serious playing.

I don't, but my wife uses one for her 8 string uke. She says it's impossible for her without it.

I used a Mahalo felt pick when I first started playing, because I didn't know any better. I think it helped me get started and get the strumming rhythm down. After probably 6 mos. or so, I just started using my finger and have never "picked" it up since...3+ years later.

Ernie Ball thumb pick, sometimes, especially for tremolo (or when my thumb nail breaks off, which happens a couple times a year!). I file the pick down and shape it in a way that I find works best for me - more rounded and less pointy than off the shelf.

Ooo! That's a good idea! Thanks!

I tried a pick once, but having had no previous exposure to string instruments that use them, it just seemed weird and limiting. I felt like I had no real control, especially over the volume, though this is no doubt a matter of experience. I do like feeling the strings under my fingers, though.

I read about hybrid styles where players use fingers and a pick when learning about guitar techniques that I can use with my incoming guitarlele. That actually sounded interesting (more options), and is something I want to explore down the road.

I have been using one of those leather Honu Picks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvCSWsvwszk
AT first I couldn't get the hang of it but have picked it up again and find it is useful when I want to achieve some volume during group playing.

Lyle Ritz is the only professional I can come up with. Del Rey always uses finger picks, as did the late Bob Brozman, but that's not the kind of picks you were asking about.

I tried it a little bit. I find it quite loud compared to fingers, and hence not as suited for playing in a house where you need to consider others. So I stick to finger picking. I never used the pick a lot on my guitar either, so perhaps I lack the proper technique.
I bought a thumb pick some time ago, for som experimenting that I haven't gotten around too yet. The seller said that he never heard of anyone using a pick on an ukulele. Glad to hear that he was wrong :)

I tried some times to play the pick when I played bass... but I was never able to do it properly and I did not like the sound that produced so I never put much effort in learning.
I never tried to use a pick on uke... but I personally find fingers the perfect tool to give all notes the right "expression" ( I really don't know the terminology... in italian we say "il colore", the colour but I doubt "colour" is the right translation)

Top Bottom