PDA

View Full Version : Concert vs. Baritone

JKoval
04-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Obviously the baritone is larger than the concert... and this has been asked probably a million and a half times, I know the baritone tunes differently than the other Ukuleles but can it be tuned to GCEA? Or would that just sound weird on the instrument?

-Jeff

Thanks guys!<3

bbycrts
04-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Aquila makes baritone strings in GCEA. I didn't own a baritone long enough to try them out...

Hobgoblin Steve
04-16-2009, 07:33 PM
I had a Bari and tuned it this way, the strings were so slack with that tuning (with the GCEA strings for Baritone), I couldnt use it that way. Then when I tuned it normally, I realized I cant play guitar so I ended up getting rid of it. If youre thinking about tuning GCEA anyway, go with the concert.

JKoval
04-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Oh, boy. Thanks for the tips, guys.

-Jeff

grappler
04-16-2009, 08:26 PM
guting tuned his baritone to gcea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI_nRbk6gQI&feature=channel_page

salukulady
04-16-2009, 08:38 PM
If you use the correct set of GCEA strings you'll have absolutely no problem and it sounds great. No slack problem. I have been playing mine for over a year tuned GCEA. I get my sets of Baritone GCEA strings from ukuleleworld.com

carpekd
04-17-2009, 12:47 AM
why the choice between baritone and concert? Have something against tenors?

JKoval
04-17-2009, 04:51 AM
My original ukulele was a tenor... and I loved it, but (and I'm in no way "bragging" or anything stupid like that) but my hands just felt too big. Like I know some people can really make it work with meaty fingers but I guess just playing guitar and Uke cocurrently was too much. So, deachy gave me a concert once my tenor was stolen (really great christmas present <3) and I love it too, but I was just wondering the differences because for the longest time, I thought the concert was the largest.
Really cleared some things up. :D

-Jeff

kim jorgensen
04-17-2009, 04:55 AM
The Aguila GCEA's for baritones work great. I think the person with too much slack was tuning them an octave too low.

Best to have a concert, a tenor and a baritone if not several of each.

JKoval
04-17-2009, 04:57 AM
The Aguila GCEA's for baritones work great. I think the person with too much slack was tuning them an octave too low.

Best to have a concert, a tenor and a baritone if not several of each.

Perhaps a minimum of 9 each. :D

-Jeff

salukulady
04-17-2009, 04:59 AM

Best to have a concert, a tenor and a baritone if not several of each.Don't forget the soprano, sopranino and a banjolele....and then there's the tenor guitar.....

UKISOCIETY
04-17-2009, 05:04 AM
Don't forget the soprano, sopranino and a banjolele....and then there's the tenor guitar.....

And tenor banjo! It has only 4 strings. I've been tempted to get one and retune it.

salukulady
04-17-2009, 05:09 AM
And tenor banjo! It has only 4 strings. I've been tempted to get one and retune it.Argh! the possibilities are endless.....only limited by our income.

JKoval
04-17-2009, 05:13 AM
The NEW Tenor Hybrid Soprano Guitarbanjoukulele with Baritone flipswitch that's acoustic / electric and has been known to survive up to depths of 100ft. submerged! Call now!

-Jeff

PoisonDart
04-17-2009, 05:17 AM
I love my concert and my baritone.

They are different instruments and for the most parts my hands know which way to go when I hold the different ones, (probably helped because I tune the bari in dgbd so the shapes are different.)

Some songs sound better on the bari, some on the concert. I really love the sound of playing baritone along with someone playing concert or tenor, much richer than playing two of the same size.

UKISOCIETY
04-17-2009, 05:39 AM
The NEW Tenor Hybrid Soprano Guitarbanjoukulele with Baritone flipswitch that's acoustic / electric and has been known to survive up to depths of 100ft. submerged! Call now!

-Jeff

Is it a cutaway though? Better yet, how about BOTH? You can remove part of the body to make a cutaway at your convenience!:)

JKoval
04-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Is it a cutaway though? Better yet, how about BOTH? You can remove part of the body to make a cutaway at your convenience!:)

It has that, then has an add-on to have MORE body.

-Jeff

DeG
04-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Let's start a petition to Line Six to make a Variax uke...
http://www.line6.com/variax/

freedive135
04-18-2009, 11:37 AM
And you can play a Baritone using the shapes for gCEA and it just sounds deeper....