Concert vs. Baritone

JKoval

Reaction score
Obviously the baritone is larger than the concert... and this has been asked probably a million and a half times, I know the baritone tunes differently than the other Ukuleles but can it be tuned to GCEA? Or would that just sound weird on the instrument?

-Jeff

Thanks guys!<3

Aquila makes baritone strings in GCEA. I didn't own a baritone long enough to try them out...

I had a Bari and tuned it this way, the strings were so slack with that tuning (with the GCEA strings for Baritone), I couldnt use it that way. Then when I tuned it normally, I realized I cant play guitar so I ended up getting rid of it. If youre thinking about tuning GCEA anyway, go with the concert.

If you use the correct set of GCEA strings you'll have absolutely no problem and it sounds great. No slack problem. I have been playing mine for over a year tuned GCEA. I get my sets of Baritone GCEA strings from ukuleleworld.com

why the choice between baritone and concert? Have something against tenors?

My original ukulele was a tenor... and I loved it, but (and I'm in no way "bragging" or anything stupid like that) but my hands just felt too big. Like I know some people can really make it work with meaty fingers but I guess just playing guitar and Uke cocurrently was too much. So, deachy gave me a concert once my tenor was stolen (really great christmas present <3) and I love it too, but I was just wondering the differences because for the longest time, I thought the concert was the largest.
Really cleared some things up. :D

-Jeff

the aquila baritone GCEA's work great

The Aguila GCEA's for baritones work great. I think the person with too much slack was tuning them an octave too low.

Best to have a concert, a tenor and a baritone if not several of each.

The Aguila GCEA's for baritones work great. I think the person with too much slack was tuning them an octave too low.

Best to have a concert, a tenor and a baritone if not several of each.
Don't forget the soprano, sopranino and a banjolele....and then there's the tenor guitar.....

The NEW Tenor Hybrid Soprano Guitarbanjoukulele with Baritone flipswitch that's acoustic / electric and has been known to survive up to depths of 100ft. submerged! Call now!

-Jeff

I love my concert and my baritone.

They are different instruments and for the most parts my hands know which way to go when I hold the different ones, (probably helped because I tune the bari in dgbd so the shapes are different.)

Some songs sound better on the bari, some on the concert. I really love the sound of playing baritone along with someone playing concert or tenor, much richer than playing two of the same size.

The NEW Tenor Hybrid Soprano Guitarbanjoukulele with Baritone flipswitch that's acoustic / electric and has been known to survive up to depths of 100ft. submerged! Call now!

-Jeff

Is it a cutaway though? Better yet, how about BOTH? You can remove part of the body to make a cutaway at your convenience!:)

And you can play a Baritone using the shapes for gCEA and it just sounds deeper....

Top Bottom