5 String Uke?

shalomjj

Reaction score
:confused: Ohana has come out with a new concert 5 string uke and it looks neat. I see there are also tenor versions too. Any thoughts on this idea of having both the high and low g in one uke? Sound pretty cool idea!

They are fun and unique...............but like a banjo uke, not for every occasion.

I have a Boat Paddle 5 string concert as well. Love it.

As a strummer, I find it fills out the sound very nicely. As a picker, maybe not so much, but it can be done.

I've even experimented with two high G strings, and that gave it a nice shimmery, almost chorused, sound.

A little extra "chime". Not sure why it can't be for "every occasion" if you like it. Lots of folks here love their 5 string. Now that new Ohana 8 string taropatch is another matter. I'm pretty sure I want one of those. I have a nice 6 string Mele solid mahogany concert that sounds sweet. Some of us find these "extra stringed" ukes a little trickier to play, some of us don't.

A little extra "chime". Not sure why it can't be for "every occasion" if you like it. Lots of folks here love their 5 string. Now that new Ohana 8 string taropatch is another matter. I'm pretty sure I want one of those. I have a nice 6 string Mele solid mahogany concert that sounds sweet. Some of us find these "extra stringed" ukes a little trickier to play, some of us don't.
You're right Phil. It can be for any occasion..............but may not always be the sound one is after. The extra string(s) don't add any difficulty, for me anyway.:)

What do you all think of the concept with both low and high G. Does it really satisfy for both styles?

What do you all think of the concept with both low and high G. Does it really satisfy for both styles?

That is not the point. A 5-string is its own style, like a six-string and an 8-string are their own sound as well.
I play a six-string because I really like the sound.
I want a 5-string, I just need to figure out how to justify buying another ukulele.
One of my former ukulele teachers always played a 5-string and I really like the sound and the way he played it. He used his thumb to play accent beats with the chorused string and his technique really suited the 5-string well.

The idea is not to get a 5-string so that you don't need a high G and a low G ukulele, it is its own animal.

I saw that Taimane Gardner plays a 5 string in some of her Youtube videos. Right now a 5 string Tenor is on the top of my wish list for my 2nd Uke. I'm looking forward to trying them out later this fall.

How hard is it to separately pluck the high-g and the low-g strings when picking at a decent volume?

How hard is it to separately pluck the high-g and the low-g strings when picking at a decent volume?
Difficult if those strings don't have a bit more separation than normal. I asked Allen McFarlen (Barron River) to slightly increase the spacing of the low g course on my 8 string. He had a previous customer ask for this, whom I spoke with, prior to requesting the same set up. Glad I did as it turned out to be very doable and adds variety to your playing style.

Difficult if those strings don't have a bit more separation than normal. I asked Allen McFarlen (Barron River) to slightly increase the spacing of the low g course on my 8 string. He had a previous customer ask for this, whom I spoke with, prior to requesting the same set up. Glad I did as it turned out to be very doable and adds variety to your playing style.

What did he increase the spacing to?

They are fun and unique...............but like a banjo uke, not for every occasion.

This exactly. I had a Compass Rose 5 string tenor, adironack spruce top, cocobolo back and sides, side sound port, fabulous instrument. It had a beautiful chimey sound that 5 strings tenors usually have and I enjoyed it........but only occasionally. I ended up selling because I never played it very often. But I enjoyed the sound when I did play it, it is an animal all onto itself.

Top Bottom