Ukulele in the Classroom versus the Ukulele Way

shalomjj

Reaction score
Any thoughts on which method is better? James Hill seems involved in two methods, "Ukulele in the Classroom" with 3 books and "the Ukulele Way" with 6 books. Any input from those who have tried both? Thanks!

The Uke Way is a 6 book or online course for self-guided learning. I am using it and I like it. I pay $7usd a month to have access to The Uke Way online. It is supposed to have all the book pages plus the videos that go with each lesson.

The Uke in Classroom seems like it is geared more for teaching to a group.

Last edited:
I have tried both.

Ukulele in the Classroom is for teaching ukulele in the classroom and best for school (music) teachers or those giving group lessons. It focuses on sight-reading and singing for a younger audience. It is not for those who can't read music and who don't want to learn theory. There really is a strong emphasis on singing as well and improving your overall musicianship through separate assignments and you submit recordings, practice and teaching logs. You also have to attend the 2 day workshop.

The Ukulele Way is for self-study but can be used by a teacher to teach the ukulele. Once again, it focuses on reading musical notation off the page and improving your musicianship. You can buy the method books (contain an audio CD) and you can see the videos online. I subscribe to it and it is worth subscribing to but you must want to learn to read music. If not, this is not the method for you.

cheers,

Petey

The uke in the classroom and ukulele way are both products associated with James Hill. In some ways they are actually in commercial competition with the UU University and on-line lessons provided by the owners of this site, UU. Sometimes I think it may be unfair to discuss someone else' product on someone else's site.
If you read the blurb, Ukulele in the Classroom is about ukulele in the classroom. It not only involves James Hill, it continues work started in 1967 by a great ukulele person, J. Chalmers Doane. I think he has put out at least 8 or 9 ukulele CDs which cover a wide range of material, and the blurb says he had something to do with starting the apparently successful Canadian school ukulele program. Which could mean that he has been involved in ukulele teaching for almost 50 years in 2017. I suspect that James Hill may have become involved to take the baton from Mr Doanne who is getting old. At one time you cold find 8 free downloads of Mr Doanes music on his website. Ukulele in The Classroom has resources for teachers and students and has a system for accrediting teachers to several levels which may be useful for teachers looking for work.
If you read the blurb, the Ukulele Way is about learning to play solo uke and has the resources to support someone who is working solo and not in a classroom.
Any one who wants to be a teacher would pick Ukulele in the Classroom over the Ukulele Way. They would find out how to get into the teachers part of the program and plug in and start working.
Anyone who is a solo person looking to learn something about ukulele would look at all the available resources, including the resources provided by the owners of UU and James Hill and the others.
In Australia we have the AUTLA (http://www.autla.org.au) which I think uses the Ukulele in the Classroom program. There may be a similar organisation in the USA.

Sometimes I think it may be unfair to discuss someone else' product on someone else's site.

Would the Ukulele Way be helpful for someone who doesn't read musical notation but uses TAB and has a desire to understand music theory? Are music notation also combined with TAB ? The video or two that I have seen looked good.
Thanks

Would the Ukulele Way be helpful for someone who doesn't read musical notation but uses TAB and has a desire to understand music theory? Are music notation also combined with TAB ? The video or two that I have seen looked good.
Thanks

Yes. That is one reason I am using this method. he does help you to learn music notation.
He tells you the notes and you practice the notes he teaches you then you use the notes you learned to play the songs.
I really like his method and his videos are full of tips and tricks.

Yes. That is one reason I am using this method. he does help you to learn music notation.
He tells you the notes and you practice the notes he teaches you then you use the notes you learned to play the songs.
I really like his method and his videos are full of tips and tricks.

This is the main reason I'm looking to do this. I'm debating on when to start it up. Right now I'm working on Ukulele Aerobics, so I'm not sure if I want to do both at the same time or not. Right now I've been spending 20-30 minutes on the Ukulele Aerobics book a day, and then playing whatever I feel like for 30+ minutes. I'm not sure if I want to add a second practice routine to my daily repotoire because I feel like I would probably not also have time to play for fun.

This is the main reason I'm looking to do this. I'm debating on when to start it up. Right now I'm working on Ukulele Aerobics, so I'm not sure if I want to do both at the same time or not. Right now I've been spending 20-30 minutes on the Ukulele Aerobics book a day, and then playing whatever I feel like for 30+ minutes. I'm not sure if I want to add a second practice routine to my daily repotoire because I feel like I would probably not also have time to play for fun.

I look at the Uke Aerobics as a supplement, or warm up. If you only do the one exercise a day then that should only take 5 minutes, or less.
And there isn't any direction with uke aerobics. It is just exercises. With the James Hill program you have many options for learning and you can map a course for learning.

Honestly, I put the Uke Aerobics down after week 9.
I am using the Hanon for Ukulele free scales and exercises now for my warm-ups and I am getting more out of this resource. Thanks to Camsukes, Campbell, for telling me about the Hanon downloads.
http://ukeofcarl.com/hanon-for-ukulele-free-ebook/

I look at the Uke Aerobics as a supplement, or warm up. If you only do the one exercise a day then that should only take 5 minutes, or less.
And there isn't any direction with uke aerobics. It is just exercises. With the James Hill program you have many options for learning and you can map a course for learning.

Honestly, I put the Uke Aerobics down after week 9.
I am using the Hanon for Ukulele free scales and exercises now for my warm-ups and I am getting more out of this resource. Thanks to Camsukes, Campbell, for telling me about the Hanon downloads.
http://ukeofcarl.com/hanon-for-ukulele-free-ebook/

Thanks for that. I'll check it out.

I like James Hill's Ukulele in the Classroom. It starts with finger picking, using whole, half, and quarter notes on a real music staff. Lesson 3 continues finger picking, and adds eighth notes. One strange thing, these rhythms are labeled, but not explained. As in, how do you count these rhythms? There's a small chart telling how many beats each type of note gets, but nothing on counting and playing them. I have the student book, and not the teacher manual, so maybe there is information in the teacher edition that covers how to explain that. You are finger picking notes on a staff until page 42 of the book, where chords are introduced. The only three chords used in the book is C, F, and G.

For me, my students want to start strumming pretty quick, and be able to sing some songs, so Ukulele in the Classroom doesn't work for us. It is a very good supplement for me, though, and I like the songs included. I think 41 pages of finger picking notes and melodies is too much. It creates boredom.

James Hill also has a little short book called You Can Play Ukulele Today, where more chords are introduced and you are still finger picking quite a bit.

Neither of these books has actual TAB. Everything is on a music staff, with chord names above the staff.

I really like the Essential Elements for Ukulele books. It starts off showing you chords, then pretty quickly moves into counting rhythms, keeping a beat, and picking individual notes. Then continues building on both concepts throughout the book. There is also a CD included to play along with and listen to.

It even contains a section on reading TAB. Everything is explained very well and the graphics are good.

My own classroom teachings mirror Jenny's experiences exactly. The Hal Leonard essential elements has a lot of good stuff, and HL owns the rights to all the "cool" tunes the "kids" want to be playing as well. I have a lot of respect for UITC and James Hill but the material is supplemental for me, whereas the core instruction is EE.

My own classroom teachings mirror Jenny's experiences exactly. The Hal Leonard essential elements has a lot of good stuff, and HL owns the rights to all the "cool" tunes the "kids" want to be playing as well. I have a lot of respect for UITC and James Hill but the material is supplemental for me, whereas the core instruction is EE.

Ryan or Jenny,
Do all the songs in the Hal Leonard EE come with music notation? I like the songs in book 1, they look like good songs to learn.

You have notes on a music staff, or chords above a music staff with strum patterns, or notes on a staff (melody) with chord names above. This starts out slowly, adding a note as you go, up until page 34. TAB begins on page 34, with TAB on bottom and notes on a staff on top, so it helps you relate the written music to what's going on with your fretboard. It's really good. On page 36, it goes back to notated music on a staff and then you jump into moveable chord shapes and finish out the book. Nice chord chart and strum chart in the last pages. Playing chords starts on page 5, reading notes starts on page 14. Pages are clearly labeled for each lesson. It is laid out really nicely. The only thing I don't see is a fretboard diagram showing where all the notes are. That may be in book 2, which I have on order.

Ryan or Jenny,
Do all the songs in the Hal Leonard EE come with music notation? I like the songs in book 1, they look like good songs to learn.

And I agree, the songs in book 1 are good ones.

This format is similar to how they sequence lessons in the EE band method. This is just branching out into ukulele instead of a wind or percussion instrument. The lessons on learning how to read notes are very well done; the whole thing is very well done.

And I agree, the songs in book 1 are good ones.

This format is similar to how they sequence lessons in the EE band method. This is just branching out into ukulele instead of a wind or percussion instrument. The lessons on learning how to read notes are very well done; the whole thing is very well done.

Thank you so much for this info, Jenny. I think I might grab a copy of this on Amazon.

This site is so helpful. Thanks for all the input!! :) God bless!! Jason

You may also want to try Uncle Rod's materials. I'm a recently retired music educator and used the uke a lot in the classroom and also accompanying chorus.
I did a pd for the music dept. a few years ago and used Rod's Boot Camp materials. Several people had never played before along with a few casual strummers and a few guitarists. We worked for 90 minutes and by the end the entire group was able to accompany themselves while singing few simple folk songs. I also use Rob MacKillop's fingerstyle studies book as a warmup 3-4 days a week. So much good material out there to choose from. Best of luck and aloha.

Anyone try out the The Complete Ukulele Method with Daniel Ho?
Thanks!!

Last edited:
Anyone try out the The Complete Ukulele Method with Daniel Ho?
Also, where can one find Uncle Rod's materials? Thanks!!

I have the Alfred Complete Method. It is for high G but you can use a low G uke. The recordings will sound different because it was recorded in high g.
TBH, I got bored of the book, there was no real direction or fluid movement of learning. I am liking The Uke Way but think the Hal Leonard Essential Elements might have the best song selection.
If you are looking for a learning tool that can teach you recognizable songs, as well.

Top Bottom