Finally: Ziricote Ukulele Done

sequoia

Reaction score
My newest uke is fianlly done and a lot of work it was. I love big figure in wood so I love the grain of ziricote (aka ciricote or Cordia dodecandra). A pleasant and polite wood to work with on the whole, except an absolute pain to finish. It doesn't so much as have pores as it has trenches and canyons. I never did get a complete fill.

Sitka spruce top with koa bindings. Mahogany neck with ebony peghead veneer. Rosewood fretboard. Sounds great from what I can tell so early. The ziricote backs and sides definitely colors the sound much to my surprise. I used to think that backs and sides didn't make much difference if any difference at all. Grudgingly, I have to admit, yeah, they do make a significant difference. Another tightly held belief blown all to hell…

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

That, sir is a mighty handsome uke! Hard work certainly pays off, doesn't it?

Bob

Exquisite! That terrified (;)) spruce top looks fantastic Sequoia. I dont remember seeing an inlayed headstock from you before...new logo?

Love the darkness of that spruce, it sure was cooked nicely :) almost thought it was a cedar top at first. Great job!

Another Beautiful Instrument built with care.....Who cares how long it takes when you put out this kind of quality.....
I believe you tend to be overly modest...
Beautiful work!

Very pretty I especially like how the back and endgraft tie together.

I dont remember seeing an inlayed headstock from you before...new logo?

Other than rosettes, I've never done much inlay. The reason is that the results were not very impressive. My eyes are getting too old for that sort of fine work. Then I discovered good, black ebony! Ebony covers all sins! Just get it close amigo and all will be well. I used a CA glue/ebony dust fill and it is undetectable. Pretty much anybody, even me can inlay in ebony... By the way, I did not cut the shell bear and star. Out of Viet Nam where they cut beautiful shell.... As far as a logo, that is the California flag and is not trademark-able. I just think a "California Tenor" made in California should have the "bear flag" on it.

Other than rosettes, I've never done much inlay. The reason is that the results were not very impressive. My eyes are getting too old for that sort of fine work. Then I discovered good, black ebony! Ebony covers all sins! Just get it close amigo and all will be well. I used a CA glue/ebony dust fill and it is undetectable. Pretty much anybody, even me can inlay in ebony... By the way, I did not cut the shell bear and star. Out of Viet Nam where they cut beautiful shell.... As far as a logo, that is the California flag and is not trademark-able. I just think a "California Tenor" made in California should have the "bear flag" on it.
Looks great, I was planning on doing some inlay as well, but will be using wood in wood I think :).

Top Bottom