Sharpening a bandsaw blade

Vespa Bob

Reaction score
For those of you who, like me thought that sharpening a bandsaw blade was an exact science, practiced only by the skilled professionals, I have news for you! I needed to use my bandsaw for sawing a neck profile and realizing that the blade was completely shot, I decided to do some Googling rather than order a new blade. I discovered several tutorials on bandsaw blade sharpening and was surprised at how quick and easy it is to sharpen a blade! No fancy equipment or skills needed to produce amazing results! Here is a link to just one of many descriptions of how it's done, all based on the same method:
http://woodgears.ca/bandsaw/sharpening.html
I sharpened three blades, each taking no more than fifteen minutes and the blades seemed sharper than when new! Give it try, you'll be surprised at how quick and easy it is.
I realize that there must be other more involved methods of blade sharpening, but this simple method really will add life to a blade that might otherwise be trashed.

Bob

Thanks. Might give it a go. I tend to break blades before I blunt them, but maybe the one is the cause of the other
Max

Terrific info! I've always had trouble finding 62" blades for my Harbor Freight bandsaw (I know, I know) except for some fairly expensive ones. This will help my budget a lot!

You are welcome, I was so surprised at how well this worked that I had to pass it on!
Bob

my bandsaw is used for resaw so it runs coarse blades, 1.3 and 2 tpi. i have been using the cutoff disc method of sharpening from the back of the tooth, simple, quick. the 1.3 tpi blades have so much set that they can be sharpened again and again and still cut well. the saw is a 20" italian machine with a 166" blade, so when you start in with sharpening you are going to be there for a while. i don't think any of us have gotten to where we are without patience. the time is easier to give than cash, and then you have the satisfaction of doing for yourself.

Top Bottom