upgrade my Baritone

Bodie

Reaction score
Hello I'm looking for some advise I presently have a Kala. Looking for a richer sound this side of a Martin. I've been trying and trying different ones but I know as soon as I pick one I'll find the one I should have bought. Thanks
Bodie

May want to move this to the "Buying Tips" forum. Good luck with your search!

Welcome to the Forum. It would help if you post what your budget is. I have a '62 Martin Baritone, pristine condition, I'm about ready to sell.

My husband Geo plays the baritone, here is his suggestion. "I have 4 baritones that I play on a weekly basis; I play several hours a day so I am very familiar with these instruments. My baritones are: Martin Style 1; a Black Bear;a Pono Pro-Classic Rosewood and a Kanile'a Model K1 Premium. It is difficult to choose which is the best player considering playability, tone and sustain. On playability I consider neck shape, neck width, overall weight and setup. On Neck Shape the Martin and Kanile'a are 1 and 2. On tone and sustain I like the Black Bear. Still, the one I like the best, and the one I play the most, is the Pono PC Rosewood sides and back with a Spruce Top; and it is by far the cheapest especially if its used."

You may also want to look at Favilla baritones. They are referred to as "the poor man's Martin" though many pros preferred the Favilla over the Martin. I surely miss that smokey bluesy sound it put out. The neck is a bit bigger than a Martin. They can be had for around 4-500 dollars.

I've been trying and trying different ones but I know as soon as I pick one I'll find the one I should have bought.
Also would help to know what you've tried and what you did or did not like about them.

Top Bottom