Pop Music for those who say they don't like it.

AndieZ

Reaction score
To complement the folk music thread, and on the egging on from another poster, I"m starting this thread.

We pop music lovers, will share some of our favourite songs that we think could increase your interest and or appreciation for the genre.

So those of us who are posting would like to post three each. In order to demonstrate that Pop is no less original than any other genre and is not simply manufactured music, i recommend people stick to posting songs since 2000.

Rest assured i am not an affionado of pop music. I just like a lot of songs i I come across. I never listen to commercial radio. I simply can't bear it so if that's your experience of pop music i am not surprised if you have no respect for it.

I'll have to go away now and find three songs i want to share. Meanwhile if anyone else wants to post three favourites or songs you think are notewroth in some way... please post.

I'm Yours by Jason Mraz - a popular song for uke players. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTiKhRdPOIU

Chandelier by Sia

Skyfall by Adele - Film Score in case you missed it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeumyOzKqgI&list=RDDeumyOzKqgI

None of these are particularly edgy songs and you probably already know them.

I think one of the reasons I like pop music is that the best ones have really strong melody and melody matters more to me than lyrics and stories. Though if i listen to a song with really dull lyrics, it might be enough to put me off a song.

Okay, I'm gonna try to stick to the guidelines of the thread, since there's kind of point to them ie to demonstrate that good pop music is still out there somewhere...

Since we're posting videos I might go with one song at a time - it'll give me some extra time to decide on selections :)

I don't think I'm gonna be throwing up any big surprises. Especially not with this first one. One of the truly great talents of the last couple of decades IMHO. And a great, great song...

Blimey, I nearly forgot about this one, and I must have played it about a gazillion times when it first came out...

But they're a hip hop band... Nope this is pure pop :) The sixties vocal group influence is made pretty explicit in the video - so I guess I managed to stealth in some vintage flavour after all... sort of ;)

Also I would consider them to be one of the best hip hop combos around - Bombs over Baghdad and Rosa Parks are both favourites of mine.

Genre definitions are dangerous.

I don't consider myself a pop-music-fan in general, but there is a lot of stuff played on the pop-radio-stations that I still like.
I could say the same about other genres, such as metal, country etc.

Such as this one, a few years old, from a danish group:

You might have heard their other tune "Around the Bend", which starred in an apple commercial some years ago.

I was impressed by this performance - Jason Mraz with Daryl Hall on "Daryl's House".

I'm going to stick my neck out with this video. This one probably has as much to do with the visuals as it does with the song. Hanson is one of those bands a lot of people will dismiss or make fun of but something about this video grabs me. It's a cool homage to the Blues Brothers and I really dig the Fender Rhodes and the brass. It's just a fun video! Turn up your volume and I hope you enjoy "Thinking 'Bout Somethin'".

Last edited:
I'm going to stick my neck out with this video. This one probably has as much to do with the visuals as it does with the song. Hanson is one of those bands a lot of people will dismiss or make fun of but something about this video grabs me. It's a cool homage to the Blues Brothers and I really dig the Fender Rhodes and the brass. It's just a fun video! Turn up your volume and I hope you enjoy "Thinking 'Bout Somethin'".

Hanson all growed up! I think I'd assumed they must all be working at Walmart :) That's crazy catchy - the electric piano sounds really really nice (as you say).

Anyway here's another one I just remembered. It's totally 70s soundwise but it came out in 2005 so it's thread-legal ;)

Anyway here's another one I just remembered. It's totally 70s soundwise but it came out in 2005 so it's thread-legal ;)

The video may be from 2005 but a lot of that backing track is straight out of the '70's ... Ashton Gardner & Dyke - Resurrection Shuffle springs to mind, but maybe something else?

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ;)

The video may be from 2005 but a lot of that backing track is straight out of the '70's ... Ashton Gardner & Dyke - Resurrection Shuffle springs to mind, but maybe something else?

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ;)

I'd say there was a bit of Spirit In The Sky in there somewhere. It absolutely is intended to be a homage to the glam rock era (to my understanding). We live in a postmodern age and I guess there's always gonna be debate about where inspiration ends and derivation begins ;) Anyway I really like it - it has a great groove that I find pretty hard to resist :)

Last edited:
I'm going to post three more now.

1. Video Games by Lana Del Rey as its in my book called 1001 you must hear before you die. The reason its in the book is becuase its got originality in it. And the reason i'm posting it is because it has grown on me, although i did recognise something I liked in it immediately. I think the originality might be in the lyrics or something.

Another one in the book i like is FourFiveSeconds by Rhianna.

Jollyboy, Amy Winehouse is in the book with her song Love is a Losing Game. They say its "her best vocal work"

I like Back to Black as one of my favs of hers.

Last edited:
Since all you guys are showing throwbacks, this is my example. Firstly for me this the Say a Little Prayer of the Noughties. Meaning the lyrics are nothing much to get excited about really but the song is very catchy and agreeable and the vocals are good.

But the influences had a relevant point since this is the soundtrack song for a movie that was based on a real story set in the sixties and involved lots of sixties music. If you want to hear those songs, check out: more from Jessica Mauboy and the Sapphires. I'm sure you'll enjoy them as they chose some real nice ones.

eg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rus92ir574Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TDP56JYL6U

I like Back to Black as one of my favs of hers.

If I had to choose one Amy Winehouse song to take to a desert island with me it would be this acoustic version of Back To Black. I thought I'd stick to official releases for this thread (it seemed appropriate somehow) and the studio version of Rehab comes a close second :) Plus we have the Folk thread for the all downbeat depressing stuff :p

Since all you guys are showing throwbacks, this is my example. Firstly for me this the Say a Little Prayer of the Noughties. Meaning the lyrics are nothing much to get excited about really but the song is very catchy and agreeable and the vocals are good.

I really enjoyed that. And the movie looks like something I might enjoy watching - I'm gonna try to track it down.

I think I'm gonna push the envelope a bit. Post some songs by artists who might not strictly by considered 'pop' but which have enough crossover appeal to edge them into the mainstream. Actually, I guess I already did that with the Outkast track. Anyway, here's another one...

Also handclaps. If it has handclaps then it's pop. That is the law.

Also this. Make of it what you will. I think it's absolutely brilliant. Is it pop? - well, it's madly infectious and I definitely would sing it in the shower - if I had any idea what the lyrics were :)

I think that bollywood song has a lot of western influences in it.

Top Bottom