Help required please

Claire72

Reaction score
image.jpgCan anyone provide me with details and a rough value if any, thank youimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Photos are not showing up.
Add the files as photos using the menu above the text box. The photo of the tree is the "add image" icon. You must select the photos and then upload them. You can add up to 5 photos per post.
I hope this helps you.

Hopefully I've upload now?

Yes, I see it. Does it have 6 strings?

Do you see any label or makers mark inside the body?
Look all around and where the neck meets the body on the inside.
Can you take a few more photos. The fretboard, the back, one of the bouts (sides)
the bridge/saddle.
Thanks,

Having great difficulty uploading photos but hopefully have managed to add 2 more. Can't see any names or marks inside.... Apart from what may of been a mark on the back where you tighten the string, hopefully will show in photo, but I can't make it out .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 42
Another photo (I'm hoping)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 26
That sure looks like an "A" body mandolin to me, not a ukulele, especially because of the tailpiece. Does it have metal string? If yes, then it's definitely a mandolin. It also looks like it's made of mahogany. You may want to try a mandolin forum.

With 8 metal strings, arranged in 4 pairs, and that body and headstock shape, looks to me like a 'Neapolitan' Style mandolin.

While there are a handful (maybe a dozen) of mando players here on UU, you might get more info from folks in the forum over at http://www.mandolincafe.com, or from the Mandolin Brothers store, see http://www.mandoweb.com...or even Elderly Instruments via http://www.elderly.com...

Hope this helps :)

Brilliant thank you so much for your help. I'll leave you in peace now lol

It's got a flat back, not sure if that is important as looking at Neapolitan mandolin it says they have a bowl back? Sorry to be a pain I just have no knowledge

It's got a flat back, not sure if that is important as looking at Neapolitan mandolin it says they have a bowl back? Sorry to be a pain I just have no knowledge

Not sure - it could be - or it could be an A-mando with a more eccentric teardrop shape than most A-mandos that I have seen, which are a more rounded-oval shape.

From those other sources I linked above, you should be able to get some guidance to the luthier who made it, and once you have that, you should be able to track down the providence and model or style if the luthier was well known, but if it was made by someone in their garage who only made a dozen instruments or so, there might be no info at all.

Where did you get this instrument?

Are you trying to appraise it for resale, or for insurance, or do you want to learn about it so you can learn to play it yourself?

I inherited a while back and being none musical and the fact it's sitting gathering dust in my workshop thought I'd sell it and buy myself a new scroll saw if it's worth enough

Top Bottom