Wood Burning designs on Instruments

Ukuleleblues

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience in wood burning a design on a wooden instrument (ukulele, dulcimer, guitar)? Pics of the finished product or advice on wood burning equipment and the process would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have experience in wood burning a design on a wooden instrument (ukulele, dulcimer, guitar)? Pics of the finished product or advice on wood burning equipment and the process would be greatly appreciated.

Well that's really weird! My Aunt is a professional pyrographer, and I spoke to her only the other day about putting a design on a ukulele. She said that it would be straightforward BUT it could only be done on an unvarnished surface.

If you google pyrography, you will get loads of info on equipment - get some scrap bits of pine board for practice.

I've seen something very similar produced using a metal stencil and a blowtorch. Making the stencil will obviously take as long as it takes, depending on the intricacy of the design, but thereafter the production of the finished "artwork" is a matter of seconds and it is totally reproduceable.

Inevitably, practice will be needed ;)

I wood burned a name around a soundhole once for my Daughter's friend. Then she chose a different uke! LOL now somewhere around here is a uke that say's 'Rosemary'. Sometimes I think of adding parsley and sage but the burning was so tedious (for me). Perhaps I wasn't doing it right or it's because of the surface not being just plain wood. It was (is) an inexpensive Korala with a basic dull finish.

Laser engraving is an option, but it gives a different look. Easy to reproduce for multiple pieces though, and great for delicate detail. Kanile'a has a model called the Island Tat that looks like it is using that technique. Luna ukulele also has several examples of laser engraved designs.

–Lori

Yeah, I was gonna suggest looking at some Luna Ukes to see if you like the look.

I have a Luna "Peace" Uke that I like a lot. Plays well and sounds good too. :eek:ld:

I'm going to burn a honu onto my cajon. Not a big investment since the cajon cost about $50 whereas my performane ukes cost close to $2000 each.

Top Bottom