Blues - educate me

AndieZ

Reaction score
Who are the Blues Greats that i need to know about.

What are the Great blues songs that I need to know about.

Share your knowledge. Post a video or more and say something about it either you love or why its so great or an important song or performance.

I already know of Lead Belly and Robert Johstone but you can post more of their songs if you wish.

Who are the Blues Greats that i need to know about.

What are the Great blues songs that I need to know about.

Share your knowledge. Post a video or more and say something about it either you love or why its so great or an important song or performance.

I already know of Lead Belly and Robert Johstone but you can post more of their songs if you wish.

You know very much about blues:)

Purveyors of my kind of blues, the kind I try to play on the uke and guitar: Lightnin' Hopkins, John Lee Hooker, and Buddy Guy. I also try to emulate Big Bill Broonzy and Muddy Waters.

Guys guys make it fun. Please post a video or link to a song you like.

Domi, really i don't. I have not spent much time listening to either of them though i know they are important and the little bit i have heard I am learning to like.

Can you post a recording of you playing BBB or Muddy Waters. It would be nice to hear something on the uke.

Ukulele players should listen to acoustic blues first. Especially I like Mississippi John Hurt. Lightnin' Hopkins has also nice acoustic blues albums but he has many electric blues too.

One of my favorite posts of all time...
Doc_J--
You may be in just the right frame of mind to start writing some of your own blues songs, and here are some rules to keep in mind. You might want low-g tuning on the uke to be more effective. Thank you, internet.

The Blues Explained
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

1. Most blues begin with: "Woke up this mornin'...."

2. "I got a good woman" is a bad way to begin the blues, unless you stick something nasty in the next line like, "I got a good woman with the meanest face in town."

3. The blues is simple. After you get the first line right, repeat it. Then find something that rhymes...sort of...
"Got a good woman with the meanest face in town.
Yes, I got a good woman with the meanest face in town.
Got teeth like Margaret Thatcher, and she weigh 500 pound."

4. The blues is not about choice. If you stuck in a ditch, you stuck in a ditch--ain't no way out.

5. Blues cars: Chevys, Fords, Cadillacs and broken-down trucks.
Blues don't travel in Volvos, BMWs or sport utility vehicles.
Most blues transportation is a Greyhound bus or a southbound train.
Jets and state-sponsored motor pools ain't even in the running.
Walkin' plays a major part in the blues lifestyle. So does fixin' to die.

6. Teenagers can't sing the blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the blues.
In blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

7. Blues can take place in New York City, but not in Hawaii or anyplace in Canada. Hard times in Minneapolis or Seattle is probably just a clinical depression.
Chicago, Houston, St. Louis and Kansas City are still the best places to have the blues. You cannot have the blues in any place that don't get rain.

8. You can't have no blues in an office or a shopping mall. The lighting is all wrong. Go outside to the parking lot or sit by the dumpster.

9. Good places for the blues:
a. highway
b. jailhouse
c. empty bed
d. bottom of a whiskey glass

10. Bad places for the blues:
a. Nordstrom
b. gallery openings
c. Ivy League institutions

11. Do you have the right to sing the blues?
Yes, if:
a. you older than dirt
b. you blind
c. you shot a man in Memphis
No, if:
a. you have a 401(k) or a trust fund
b. you once were blind but now you see
c. the man in Memphis lived

12. Acceptable blues beverages:
a. cheap wine
b. whiskey or bourbon
c. muddy water
d. nasty black coffee

The following are NOT blues beverages:
a. Perrier
b. Chardonnay
c. Red Bull
d. SlimFast

13. If death occurs in a cheap hotel or a shotgun shack, it's a blues death. You can't have a blues death if you die during a tennis match or while getting liposuction.

14. Make your own blues starter kit:
a. Name of a physical infirmity (Blind, Cripple, Lame, etc.)
b. First name (see above) plus the name of a fruit (Lemon, Lime, Kiwi, etc.)
c. Last name of a president (Jefferson, Johnson, Fillmore, etc.)
For example: Blind Lime Jefferson, Jakeleg Lemon Johnson, or Cripple Kiwi Fillmore. (Well, maybe not kiwi...)

15. No matter how tragic your life--if you own a computer, you cannot sing the blues.

I really like Mississippi John Hurt. The way he played guitar sometimes sounds like 2 guys playing guitar.

I'm kind of a marginal blues fan. I can't listen to it for very long because after a while there gets to be a "sameiness" about it and it becomes kind of a drag. Here's some blues rock people who are interested should check out or be familiar with. Not a lot of people know that before Fleetwood Mac became a pop band they were a blues rock band lead by Peter Green. The 2nd is John Mayall's Blues Breakers (featuring Eric Clapton) The music by both speaks for itself.

There are lots of roads leading to the discovery of blues music. Which, by the way, is more diverse than electric blues and Robert Johnson: classic lady blues singers, syncopated Piedmont Blues, blues played on pianos, mandolins, harmonicas...

One way would be to go to the originals in the 1920s and 1930s (BTW: Robert Johnson was a second-generation blues musician: he picked up a lot from the first recordings). The problem with Blind WIllie Johnson, Skip James, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Bessie Smith, Blind Blake... is that the recording quality is a threshold. There's cracks and hisses, slurs, pops, nasal sounding vocals that obscure the really good music underneath.

I would recommend to start out with modern day 'retro' interpreters. Buy one of the Hugh Laurie CDs (yes, House MD) or Taj Mahal, or Steve James, or Del Rey, or Roy Book Binder, or Keb' Mo', perhaps even Ben Harper. They're good, easy to start out with and they'll point you in new directions.

For ukulele blues, check out Steve James, Del Rey, Taj Mahal, Ry Cooder's Jazz album (the title is misleading, the instrument's actually a tiple), Adam Franklin, Lemon Nash. And we're all hoping for a reissue of the Lewis 'Rabbit' Muse recordings.

Mississippi John Hurt who has been posted already but this is my favourite, Talkin' Casey,

This is the classic Piedmont Blues. The alternate bass picking never stops. Well, almost never.

Anthony

Skip James, Devil got my Woman,

This is the absolute archetypal Black American Blues. This song was the blues song from Ghostworld.

Anthony

White Man Blues, enter stage left, Dire Straits, Southbound again,

Classic Black American Blues appeals most strongly to Black Americans. I'm a white guy so White guy Blues appeal strongly to me.

Anthony

Last edited:
Nailing down the blues is like trying to hit a moving target.

Crossroads now:

So if I'm reading correctly this is more about posting what you consider to be important/significant songs rather than just favourites. But then I guess some personal bias needs to creep in, otherwise you're just going to end up with something that looks just like any other 'greatest blues songs' list.

Here's some songs I like, by some artists I would consider important contributors to the genre:

1. Rollin' Stone - Muddy Waters (so good they named a band after it :))
2. Smokestack Lightnin' - Howlin' Wolf
3. Hoodoo Man Blues - Junior Wells
4. Boom Boom - John Lee Hooker (1992 version - perhaps a bit more accessible)
5. Uncloudy Day - The Staple Singers (okay it's strictly gospel - but it's awesome :))

Last edited:
Top Bottom