Sara Watkins is a Uke-ist

Ukulele JJ

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sure a solid majority of you have hever heard of Nickel Creek.

But for the rest of you, here's an article in this week's Nashville City Paper about fiddler Sara Watkins:

Young veteran Watkins claims her 'Rite' to solo

Besides her usual array of explosive and masterful fiddle solos and accompaniment, Watkins plays a little guitar and quite a bit of ukulele, an instrument that she’s enjoying more lately.

“I kind of picked up the ukulele as another instrument I could use to write songs,” Watkins confessed. “I don’t really consider myself a guitarist, especially when you compare me to my brother. But the ukulele is small and light, and there are some very interesting things you can do with it in terms of chord structure. I can take my three chords and kind of mix and match them.”

:shaka:

JJ

creek1.jpg

I love nickel creek...
great band. didn't know she played the uke tho :)

I love Nickel Creek! Sara is awesome, I saw them in concert last year and their talent is unbelievable! Unfortunately Sara didn't play the ukulele. I'm still in shock though at how good their concert was, I've never seen anything like it in my entire life!

I'm still in shock though at how good their concert was, I've never seen anything like it in my entire life!

You should go see Chris Thile with his own band (they were the How to Grow a Band when I saw them... they're the Punch Brothers now). That'll really blow your mind.

Last time I saw Thile in concert, it was just him an bassist Edgar Meyer. And I was :worship: the whole time.

JJ

Top Bottom