Middle finger?

shalomjj

Reaction score
Anyone use their middle finger as main stum? I find that it produces better tone than my pointer.

I don't.
But like river_diver said. Do it. It doesn't sound like a bad habit. Just a playing style.

Middle for the down strum............thumb for the up

THIS ^^^ is what I do.

Middle-[F]inger NAIL down, and thumb NAIL for up.

Seems natural to me since the middle [F]inger is LONGER than all the other fingers so for down-strum it's already there and needs to extend LESS than index or ring finger.

I agree, do what works for you. I mainly use my index finger when strumming, but include my middle finger at times depending on the rhythm I'm after.

Anyone use their middle finger as main stum? I find that it produces better tone than my pointer.

I don't strum like this, but I first learnt to claw-hammer using my second finger before changing over to my index finger.

The tone seems different (for me) and I suspect it's down to minor variations in the angle that the nail hits the string.

I can't think you're doing anything wrong, so if the net result suits you, do it :)

At the end of a song sometimes, I anchor my thumb on top of the neck, right where it meets the body, lift the neck a bit, then I take my middle finger and flick it back and forth over the strings to give me a tremelo. People think that it is fun when I do that. Lil' Rev showed me that trick, by the way.

I don't strum like this, but I first learnt to claw-hammer using my second finger before changing over to my index finger.

The tone seems different (for me) and I suspect it's down to minor variations in the angle that the nail hits the string.

I can't think you're doing anything wrong, so if the net result suits you, do it :)

I agree except I use either the index or the middle finger. The index sounds better I think, but the middle may be louder. It's good to have an extra when a fingernail chips.

Using the thumb to strum works well too. Whatever "gets 'er done." :eek:ld:

Middle finger for me for sure. Most of the tutorials that I have tried recommend the index. Tried that many times but always go back to the middle.

Just make sure not to hold that middle finger out in a special way while strumming, or you might send an unintended message to your audience.

I've always used my bird finger for clawhammer. About 30 years ago, I noticed that a woman I worked with had lovely fingernails. I told her how weak my nails were and that I wish mine were like hers (maybe a little less colourful). She told me that they were fake and sent me to her manicure shop. I went in waving my middle finger, not thinking that I might be misinterpreted. In those days, they ground your nail down so it was paper thin before applying a fake nail. It came off during a gig and I discovered that blood makes an indelible stain on a goatskin head, so I didn't go back.
I have been getting acrylic gel nails on my first three fingers for about ten years now, and the woman who does them knows exactly how I like them.

I was having trouble with my nails too, so I stopped using them for most other tasks. I use my thumbnails now when I'm peeling tape or stickers, or whenever I'm picking or scraping stuff. I also use my left hand fingers
which is usually a pretty comical routine to watch. I also keep my Clawhammer fingernails shorter than I usta did. One other thang that'll chip yer nails is the zipper on yer fly--soooo, watch it!

So far all the above seems to be working. My nails are stronger and don't chip so much. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
I saw a picture of some guy whackin' away on a banjo with blood all over the head. I wondered why he didn't just stop playing. I guess he was a very avid banjo banger.

I wonder what the audience thought about it. The show must go on, I guess. :eek:ld:

I saw a picture of some guy whackin' away on a banjo with blood all over the head. I wondered why he didn't just stop playing. I guess he was a very avid banjo banger.

I wonder what the audience thought about it. The show must go on, I guess. :eek:ld:

I managed to do this with an electric guitar some years ago now - had a burn blister on my finger that caught on the strings then kept catching, despite me using a pick. The show had to go on though! As the guitar was cherry red it wasn't too obvious, although the silver humbucker pickups were covered by the end. Took hours to clean it afterwards. Moral of the story? Don't burn your finger before a gig I guess?

Yup, middle is my main strummer.

Top Bottom