PDA

View Full Version : WTB cheap starter Uke

Calmb4tehpwn
09-05-2016, 05:32 PM
Hey folks!

I've got a nice Uke for myself, but since getting one in the house, my four year old daughter has shown an interest. I can't bring myself to let her pluck around on my $900 Mele, so I want to get a cheap, but decent enough uke for her to play around on.

She has asked for a blue uke, but I'm certain pink would go over well, too.

I know most of you have upgraded to better ukuleles, and I'm hoping someone has a decent cheapo uke they'd let go for a good price.

I'm looking at Makala dolphin uke, if I were to buy new, but I'd like to find one used and save some cash.

Let me know what you've got!
Cheers

Croaky Keith
09-05-2016, 10:43 PM
The problem with the cheaper ukes is the cost of postage, it doesn't make sense to try selling them. :(

You would be best off buying from Mim or someone else who does a proper setup, even on cheapies.
(Unless you get an offer from someone local to you.)

river_driver
09-06-2016, 12:24 AM
I have a Gretsch Camp Uke (modern one) I could part with. Plays good, inexpensive, and it's blue. Where are you located?

Calmb4tehpwn
09-06-2016, 03:34 AM
I suppose I could have opened up with my location-

We're in the twin cities, Minnesota

Sanfe
09-06-2016, 04:49 AM
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-VOR-AUG24-BL

These are concert size and, really, a four year old could use a sopranino. I had my kids learn on a sopranino - I think ours is a Tangi Manini. Not the greatest sounding uke out there but it got them into it.

But going back to the Vorson, for $25 and free shipping, get one for yourself.

Good luck.

Twibbly
09-06-2016, 04:57 AM
Hey folks!

I've got a nice Uke for myself, but since getting one in the house, my four year old daughter has shown an interest. I can't bring myself to let her pluck around on my $900 Mele, so I want to get a cheap, but decent enough uke for her to play around on.

She has asked for a blue uke, but I'm certain pink would go over well, too.

I know most of you have upgraded to better ukuleles, and I'm hoping someone has a decent cheapo uke they'd let go for a good price.

I'm looking at Makala dolphin uke, if I were to buy new, but I'd like to find one used and save some cash.

Let me know what you've got!
Cheers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIM-Ohana-Soprano-SK-10BL-Blue-Mahogany-Setup-w-Aquilas-Ukulele-Uke-379-/182260601312?hash=item2a6f9411e0:g:sF4AAOSwFV9XxE2 t

I ordered one of these from Mim and LOVE it.

And it's blue.

And it's $70 including shipping.

thaidye39
09-06-2016, 06:24 AM
CME has a Makala shark in blue for $30. They do set ups on their guitars so I could only imagine they set up ukuleles.

Link: http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/makala-shark-composite-soprano-ukulele-blue-used

Calmb4tehpwn
09-06-2016, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the ideas, folks. I found a purple makala dolphin on an auction site, with a hybrid case. Going to try to snag that for cheap. If that doesn't work out for me, I'll revisit the options you've all provided.

Thank you again!

Choirguy
09-06-2016, 11:57 AM
Since you are in the cities, there are two ukulele groups up here...

And I can't help but volunteer the Caramel Ukuleles (see Amazon, eBay, or their own website) for a very good starter ukulele than what you would pay for a crummy one somewhere else.

Locally, Groth Music in Bloomington has a good selection of ukuleles...I also like Brickhouse in River Falls.

Debussychopin
11-21-2016, 07:24 AM
CME has a Makala shark in blue for $30. They do set ups on their guitars so I could only imagine they set up ukuleles.

Link: http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/makala-shark-composite-soprano-ukulele-blue-used

I concur.
I bought a makala pineapple that was mint from them for $30 (through reverb)
It is practically brand new they said and they were right. Came w original packaging and tags and wrap.
This is my first uke (im new to it but coming from classical guitar) so I was also very surprised it had such refined fret work, string height, and intonation all the way down the neck. I couldn't believe my eyes for a 30 dollar uke.
Now your reply above explains it, they are a bona fide respectable guitar store, which I didn't know when I bought it.
Now I wonder if makalas come close to perfect set-up or was it just cme?