No dots on fretboard bad for resale?

2xbass

Reaction score
I'm getting a custom uke made and am still finalising details. I was thinking of only getting dots on the side and not on the fretboard itself. I've become used to this with my LFDM which came that way and I find I prefer it over my ukes with dots in the fretboard. However someone suggested perhaps this is not good for resale should I ever decide to sell my custom. It's going to be a pretty unique instrument anyway and I'm also thinking that even if someone really wanted dots in the fretboard it could be done later.

Any thoughts or advice?

Last edited:
I'm thinking if I was getting an instrument custom-made for me I'd want it exactly how I'd like it, with no consideration whatsoever for resale value.

If the instrument is as unique as you're implying it might be I doubt a few dots here or there will be a deal-breaker ... as you say, if a subsequent purchaser really needs them they'll get them fitted, maybe even custom inlays instead of dots, it'll be their choice then ;)

No body asked me, but I think the dots on the fretboard are pretty useless anyway. One can at least see the ones on the side.

And, if I was buying an expensive made to order musical instrument, I wouldn't even think about resale value. :eek:ld:

I have had three custom ukes made to my specifications and all of them are without fretboard markers. I have two other ukes without them as well. I am use to side dots only and when I order a custom uke it is for me and my purposes. FWIW my LfdM has side dots only, just like yours.

It's your custom uke so get it done how you want it! :D

Why would you be buying a custom if you don't know what you want from a uke. ;)

If you're already thinking of reselling, I'd suggest not buying a custom & just get a good quality manufactured uke. :)

I'd probably not worry about resell value when having a custom ukulele built for myself. If resale value is a concern, I'd likely go for a K brand or higher end Pono.

I've never had a custom built for me, then turned around and tried to sell it. But if I were in the market for a custom ukulele, I would have one built to my specs, not buy yours. The very fact that it was custom built for you, and not custom built for me, would be a deal breaker. It wouldn't matter what you did or didn't do.

Get it how you want it................if it's a good uke, markers won't be an issue

No body asked me, but I think the dots on the fretboard are pretty useless anyway. One can at least see the ones on the side.

And, if I was buying an expensive made to order musical instrument, I wouldn't even think about resale value. :eek:ld:

+1 on that.

Thanks for the thoughts and no I'm not even thinking about reselling it at this stage.

+1 on that.

The only way the customs that I've commissioned will ever be sold will be when they pry them from my cold dead hands.

Having your wife's name on the fretboard is bad for resale. No dots not so much.

^^^ :rotfl: +1 on that!

Top Bottom